Hondo's Bar

Rogue One

Boba Fett is ripe for adaptation and since he died in the original trilogy all his backstory (that which wasn't plowed over and rebuilt) is pretty much all canon. He is totally an overrated character in the original trilogy but there is a lot to mine there, and him surviving the Sarlacc is just a given.

Vader and Yoda are only good as supporting characters and I don't want to to see Starkiller and Kyle Kitarn get their own movies. The Old Republic would be a good place to go and I'd watch the shit out of a Death Troopers movie even though it will never ever get made. I'd gladly watch a Wedge Antilles movie.

A Rogue Squadron flick, I think is a no-brainer - great excuse to pump out X-Wing / TIE Fighter battles...that could actually end up being a series.

I don't think we're getting a Vader solo flick - I see him popping up in stuff - like in Rogue One, but as a feature? Only thing I can think of that they could do w/ him would be to send him off on a massive Jedi hunt. At this point in the mythos, Vader is like the Terminator - so, only way I could see it be interesting would be from the Jedi's perspective. (shrugs) Jedi in Hiding: the movie? Ah dunno - what kinda Vader flick are you seeing?

Boba Fett - is happening. For sure. He isn't an overrated character - 'cuz he really has no character! LOL! I think he's popular just 'cuz he looks so damn cool and he's 'terribly mysterious' (Mystery Men ref). I think his most prominent...anything...is his appearance in Empire. I think a flick focused on him taking a frozen Han Solo to Jabba the Hutt (a point every casual movie-goer / Star Wars fan can place a finger on) is a great place to start establishing character traits in an otherwise totally devoid shell of a character.

giphy.gif

He shined in the EU - but since that's been obliterated, I honestly couldn't describe Boba if I had to - he's currently a blank slate.

Boba Fett is ripe for adaptation.

• 2 weeks later...

Cool. Really informative - helps clear up sum contention people had...and almost as cringy as a Nintendo Treehouse Demo: scripted as hell and full of fake smiles. LOL! Almost like they're trying to clear up any mass criticisms or memes before they calcify.

'I'm surprised no fans has picked up on this...' I've only seen the damn thing once in the theater, sucka! Be surprised once it's been out on blu!

tenor.gif

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A fun action flick, but forgettable. Whatever its faults, TFA had numerous lines and moments that stick with you for both new and old charcters. This, I think the onlly three moments that stay are

the murder in the space depot which sets up Andor as not-your-noble-rebel-type and pays off later as tension in the assassination scene, the Security droid's heroic sacrifice and his smartass comment about not dying in space.

It felt like there were too many moving parts to keep the story logical and ticking along. As Plunkett poinnts out above, why does the dad not just say 'blow up the exhaust' instead of sending them to a fortress? Vader felt shoehorned in for fan service and in a narrative sense, he weakened the movie. In a way, it suffered many of the same faults as the other SW prequels in that it tried to play connect the dots and spot-the-easter-egg instead of just telling the characters' stories. Hell, even Predator had more character development for its squad I think.

I heard this movie described in marketing as Star Wars meets Saving Private Ryan and I wish that was what I had really gotten. I could see the similarities in certain things, but SPR gave people in the squad some dialogue and quiet time to show you who they were before they got massacred.

With R1 I felt like they took away character time to have longer explosion scenes. Take the pilot who gets his brain scrambled...I like him. He had potential. But he gets like three lines to fill in his backstory and then he just does zany faces. Or the badguy. He had potential too, but I still don't know what his motiviation was. He just seems ambitious and evil for the sake of being ambitious and evil, especially the scene at the research station. If you think back to Ep IV ANH, it's always clear why Tarkin is doing what he's doing, and Vader too for that matter.

But I'm being harsh because I was hoping for a lot with this movie.

It still delivered my money's wirth. Spectacle of course. Lots of swoopy panoramic space combat. Lots of good action as far as the staging of the action goes, especially the street fighting. Some good humor with the droid. I liked the nod to politics with the imperial officers rivalries as well as the idea of extremist rebels.

The Special Features...can't waaaaiiiit. I hope (I'm sure) they get into bringing the classic ships back to the screen and havin' 'em actually look like models...

Here's something I've always wondered - sidenote real quick in TFA - that whole sequence w/ the Falcon escaping Jakuu could / should've been done w/ an actual physical photograhed model against green screen.

Why not animate the whole thing on a cpu - computer model - then program the work done into a camera and have it revolve and tilt around the model? Like 'reverse-mocap'? Back in the day - they had a model on a stick and work the camera worked around it...do the hard work on a cpu, get a final - and then just tell the camera to do that. It would look amazing - of course, in post you can add smoke trails and laser hits, but - the Star Destroyers in R1 looked like freakin' models...and I loved that.

Edited by Little Nemo McFly

Kay - only 1.5 hours of special features is bullshit. I can't get jiggy w/ dat shit...

^You lost me, bro. It looked fucking great is all I need to know.

Here: check out 0:40 and 2:33 - and 10:00...

Stop-motion / animation is one thing - but scenes w/ a ship (like the Falcon-Jakuu escape) which is pretty much a stationary object...could totally be done using a physical model. I've always wondered why they don't just program a film camera to duplicate the camera moves established by an animator on a cpu.

Have the crazy-ass shots - push it as far as your imagination can take it...fine-tune the sequence / fly-by on a cpu, but then set up a physical model of the Falcon and shot-for-shot...shoot it legit against a blue screen (cg-background in post).

Duplicating the camera work / pans 'for real' should just be a matter of transferring cpu data to the camera.

It looked great, as is - yeah...but like the LotR films - your brain can tell what's miniature and a model and what's cg. LotR had that perfect blend - I would've loved for all shots of the Falcon being a physical model...photographed / shot in HD. Would've had a unique look / feel...kinda of an ol' skoo' Star Wars feel.

Rogue One Star Destroyers looked like photographed physical models - they were so good.

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished doing all the Special Features. A little over an hour - pretty much all encompassing. Covers the birth of the project, sets, design, fx, characters - just wish I could get in a bit deeper. Kinda like the Force Awakens special features - covers a lot of stuff, but you kinda wish they'd hold a bit longer on a subject. (shrugs)

The movie looks SO good on blu. Vivid and crisp - Tarkin and Leia look amazing. Maybe it's the fact that they aren't on a 40-foot screen - but on my 49-inch, I was pausing, rewinding, freeze-framing...it all looks stunning. Crazy awesome visual quality. A movie that shows off blu, fo' sho'.

Super-pumped now for more Rebels - as they get closer to Rogue One. Watching R1 again, for the 3rd time.

Just finished doing all the Special Features. A little over an hour - pretty much all encompassing. Covers the birth of the project, sets, design, fx, characters - just wish I could get in a bit deeper. Kinda like the Force Awakens special features - covers a lot of stuff, but you kinda wish they'd hold a bit longer on a subject. (shrugs)

The movie looks SO good on blu. Vivid and crisp - Tarkin and Leia look amazing. Maybe it's the fact that they aren't on a 40-foot screen - but on my 49-inch, I was pausing, rewinding, freeze-framing...it all looks stunning. Crazy awesome visual quality. A movie that shows off blu, fo' sho'.

Super-pumped now for more Rebels - as they get closer to Rogue One. Watching R1 again, for the 3rd time.

I agree 100% about the special features and the overall look of the film on Blu-ray. So, which version of the Blu-ray did you end up buying, Nemo? I was debating for a hot minute there if I was going to get the Target 3-D version. But after doing some research I found out that Target's exclusive extra disc of bonus features only had two featurettes that totaled about 6 to 8 minutes of content, and it was going for 10 bucks more. Not worth it in my eyes. I will say I do like Target's packaging for their exclusive Blu-ray though. It is similar to what they did with the last Star Trek film and had interchangeable covers. (The Target version of ST Beyond I picked up on Black Friday for only eight or nine bucks. There's no way I could wait that long for R1 though.)

As for CGI Leia and Tarkin, I did the same thing with the freeze frames. :D I pretty much still have the same feeling about the CGI work as I did after my second viewing of the film in the theater, it's damned impressive but not perfect. There is still something just right of center about the CGI work, but by no means are they in the uncanny valley. Knoll and ILM did good work. And kudos to the studio for keeping that final scene under wraps. That coupled with the Vader scene made R1 a highly memorable first viewing moviegoing experience.

The features were good, especially with writing and pre-production phases, but even though I kinda saw it coming, the most disappointing thing on the BR by far was the lack of a director's commentary from Gareth Edwards. This makes me nervous because you know they're going to release a "special edition" with the commentary (or commentaries) in the future. Probably around Christmas like they did with TFA.

[Warning! Blu-ray rant approaching!]

*Edit*

My rant went way longer than I initially thought. So I moved it to the Star Wars saga on Blu-ray thread. I love that this form has a thread dedicated to not just Star Wars but specifically Star Wars on Blu-ray.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

• 5 months later...