Hondo's Bar

Resident Evil 7

Keth

I think the greatest thing in the world would be for someone to figure out the grand puzzle, the one that gets you out of the house. They figure out the finger, the hatchet, everything, and finally the last thing they do is pick up the phone. Maybe it's supposed to be the last thing you do?

You pick up the phone, having done everything correctly and on the other end of the line you hear

"You've been Chosen."

You walk out of the house and it's a fucking fake out, the music plays and BAM! Norman Fucking Reedus again. Silent Hills.

YOU THOUGHT THIS WAS RESIDENT EVIL 7 DIDNT YA BITCH? WELL WELCOME TO THE FAMILY SON.

Did play last night, played it about 3 times back to back. I feel like P.T visually looked better but then again they were not trying to animate real people. Didn't get the axe, did not see ghosts, spent about an hour before bed last night just reading reddit and their theories.

I feel like if that isn't some kind of indication for how much I loved this demo, I don't know what is.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

See, I feel lile RE4 had this frantic terror to it. The horror feel was spot on, and they threw enough new shit at you to keep you guessing (regenerators anyone?) Thats my experience at least. This one is still terrifying. I think one of the biggest drawbacks was the monster design. The main creatures become kind of unintimidating after awhile. Small criticisms really though. Capcom did good here.

• 10 months later...

meant to post back: not that the bar is exceptionally high, but this was easily the best in the series since 4. 

there's a lot of callbacks to the original (ammo scarcity for one!) with enough fresh additions to the formula

my god i hated Jack (Nemesis) chasing you all over the house, but fleeing to safe rooms was a crazy feeling. 

i really loved the house - exploring its dark corners was fantastic, and while i was sad to leave it, the outhouse on the bayou or whatever was also a trip.  i was hating the cat-and-mouse stuff in some VHS tapes but i liked what they were going for, and it made for some particularly creepy boss fights.

i didn't enjoy the later areas as much...the ship was alright, felt more like RE3 cause ammo/damage wasn't really an issue, even with the tougher enemies (once you had your weapons back).  i think mostly i didn't dig it cause i missed the house & frankly we'd been all over ships in RE: Revleations.

since we have VR now that's definitely how i'll replay it, but i think i'll wait on a price drop for Gold since i'm curious about the DLC...never really play this series for its story, but this title was strong enough where i'd like to see more. 

really hope the series keeps this direction, it hasn't been this scary in forever. 

• Upvote 1

I think the game was really good until it stopped being a sideways Clock Tower remake and turned into a Resident Evil game.  I hated the molded, I would have rather strictly dealt with the family for the whole game and I'm disappointed in how slight the other two family members were after Jack being such an imposing force for the first third of the game.  Once we got more into the bioweapon stuff it was still fun and tense but it didn't have the same pizazz, those first 2 hours or so are the Evil Dead video game I've always wanted.

• Upvote 1

yeah, i typically don't like/hate invincible antagonists (unless that's the point of the game like Amnesia/etc) but Jack grew on me - and the fight with his wife was creepy shit too.  His boy got gypped like a weak Bioshock boss, you're not wrong there..

the modled are just as forgettable as whatever creatures i killed in RE5/6 (basically las plagas on everything i recall), and i can totally see the Evil Dead vibe there too.

again i'dve been down for that, and something more imaginative - even classic zombies, which could totally be done freaky - would've really worked in the house.  not to channel PT too much, but i was down for supernatural stuff as well...it was just such a cool setting.