Hondo's Bar

Dad of War

Keth

Hmm. A lot of that looked more like The Last of Us or Red Dead Redemption than God of War but I appreciate that Kratos has learned how to use his inside voice and not be such a cunt. That little bit where he almost puts his hand on the boy's shoulder is more nuance than he had in God of War 2 and 3 combined (I don't know if you played 3 but holy shit what a stupid fucking game, it was fun but my hatred of Kratos grew with each passing second and I started to realize that he totally deserved everything bad that's ever happened to him and then some.) I'm beginning to think that he may be a red herring though, it kinda looks like the boy might be the main character. Hard to say and I'm looking forward to how they got a Spartan into Norse mythology territory, but I'm intrigued.

Oh no i totally agree with you about Kratos' character. He becomes a straight up villain by the end of 3. I'm starting to think this might be like Earth 2 Kratos or something though. Especially since it's not God of War 4. News outlets are calling it a reboot.

It's certainly a reboot in spirit, it's not nearly as cartoonish or awful from what this preview would have me believe but when he activated his super power it was still called "Spartan Rage" so I'm going to guess that GOD OF WAR 3 SPOILERS

this has something to do with that image of the Phoenix that Kratos was laying on as he died at the end of God of War 3. I mean the game did end with him destroying the Earth so I'm guessing the world was reborn and the Norse pantheon got a go of it.

never really been a GoW fan, but if they ditch the platforming (or make it more auto like Uncharted/AC etc) i might be down

not to rain on parades here, i just find Kratos the most uninteresting protagonist since Awesome Possum. game looks fucking gorgeous, though

While you assume complete control of Kratos, you also passively control his son throughout the entire game, and both characters grow and evolve. There’s a single button dedicated to your son, and its use depends on the context. He becomes an active participant in combat, traversal, exploration, and puzzle-solving. In this, the game is about passing knowledge onto your child. At the beginning of your journey, you teach a reluctant child how to fire a bow and hunt. As you progress through the game, that becomes second-nature to the boy, and it’s clear that your knowledge has been passed on.

This bond isn’t the only new, surprising element of God of War. The entire game is presented as a single, uninterrupted shot. Once you’re in, you’re in. No load screens, no cinematics, no fades to black. Kratos and his son’s journey across the world of Norse mythology -- which takes place an undisclosed amount of time past God of War III -- will be told in a wholly singular, and honestly unique manner.

Right from the get-go, it was apparent that this was a very different God of War game. We now view the world from behind Kratos’ shoulders, with the previously-static camera now being controlled using the right stick. This part is important, because the world is rife with hidden paths, secret nooks, and collectables hidden all over the place. During my extended demo, we wandered off the beaten path and discovered a number of crafting resources, pieces of armor, and idols. God of War will feature larger, much more in-depth RPG systems, something Sony will discuss further down the road.

never really been a GoW fan, but if they ditch the platforming (or make it more auto like Uncharted/AC etc) i might be down

rsksmwE.jpg?1

I like Zelda, but can we get rid of all that hack 'n slash junk and just make it a space shooter?

[in response to Newtpe's post]

So I was dead on in citing The Last of Us. I guess Last of Us clones are the new GTA-clone/cover-based shooter/quirky platform action games.

I like Zelda, but can we get rid of all that hack 'n slash junk and just make it a space shooter?

it's a beat-em-up like onimusha/DMC/etc, with a certain amount of platforming elements that i find half-assed and off-putting whenever i try it. it feels superfluous, and series like Tomb Raider have already ditched it for the Uncharted system...if this is the Last of Us influence that you guys/others are seeing, it could very well be out. how would that be less fun or change the genre altogether? was this series more a platformer for you?

A couple months ago, when the rumored pantheon shift to Norse Mythology was revealed, I was hoping that they would ditch Kratos all together. I suppose it doesn't necessarily have to be the same Kratos, and I understand the character design harking back to the original trilogy (actually, if we're counting the PSP versions, its a sextology isn't it) but give him a more Norse sounding alias/variant on Kratos.

Other than the timed platforming that they slipped in every game briefly, Kratos' acrobatic properties have been fairly important to what makes the games feel like God of War.

i'm talking about those sections specifically - they'd be made better if they were simplified, it did wonders for Tomb Raider.

your space shooter bit was kinda funny here though, cause it speaks to how much we put up with when we're enjoying a game vs not: i found those platforming sections tedious, even though you're right that they're not the bulk of the game. others hated it when DMC1's last level or so turned into a SHMUP, but i was all about it in the day

• 11 months later...
  • 7 months later...