Hondo's Bar

Stranger Things

Oh, man - I bet we would have very interesting conversations, over a brew. I find those topics fascinating. I've got a few books that delve into that stuff.

"Do you need a drink of water?" LOL

[TONIGHT SHOW PIC]

It took me a minute but I finally remembered where I saw this before--a great doc on Netflix about the magician that debunked Gellar and other "psychics." I wish I could remember the name of the doc--and the magician. The Great Randini--I think.

I don't think we're getting Vagrant outta FL anytime soon for that drink, Nemo. We'd have to get to MIA during one of the school breaks. Road triiiip!

Oddly enough, I'm finishing up reading Peter Levenda's Sinister Forces which talks about all of the projects that have been mentioned so far in this thread.

It's been years, but I'm pretty sure I've read this. My college sophomore English class final was "a research paper" (could be over anything, so long as it was properly researched, cited etc) and I did mine over Germany and their obsession with the Occult during WWII. (teacher didn't LOVE what my content was over, but it was at least researched enough to warrant an A in a pre-everyone-uses-wiki time)

Edited by Bindusara

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Stranger Things renewed for Season 3 - Season 4 likely the final season

“No. 2 is always a little bit bigger.” In the process, they also confirmed that season three of the show is officially a go, and that they plan to do one more after it. “We’re thinking it will be a four-season thing and then out,” says Ross

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Whoa - was that 'Samwise'?! (Rewinds and freeze-frames) Yup - they actually got a 'Goonie' in this. LOL!!! That's...okay, just...we're on full-blown homage / parody / spoof territory here.

Season 1 just kinda hung on being a series of patched-together 'classic 80s scenes' and felt like a plot was formed around 'em.

(Still waiting to understand the logic of how the freaking kid was communicating! 'A mother's love' is unacceptable!) wink.png LOL - ANYWAY...

It's lookin' like the series (the next 3 seasons) is just gonna be a series of 'celebrations' of 80s-cinematic goodness. (shrugs) Okay. I'm game for another shot. Season 1 lost me mid-way as being the 'phenomenon' the world hailed it to be, but - eh. Looking forward to picking out sum 'deep cut' 80s movie references. I've been feeding an idea for a Goonies sequel...(a trilogy) for decades now, 'bout them (as kids) taking on an alien / monster outbreak. It'll prolly never happen, this feels very Goonies - and in my mind's eye, a Goonies sequel always entailed the supernatural. I'm interested in seeing what they do.

Considering how short these Netflix Seasons are - it's just an evening. (shrugs) Totally gotta re-watch Season 1...I've only seen it once...gotta get back into what they've 'set up'.

(I can't believe they actually put a 'Goonie' in this.)

• 2 weeks later...

We're 4 eps in now and I'm feeling like Will was really underused last season. Understandably so given his story line but that kid can ACT. I'm so impressed! They're all wonderful, as we saw last season, but the kid playing Will is making the most of his screen time here. Damn. 

Also so props to Joyce for being the most woke mom in a horror story ever. 

we just tied up season 2, and....damn.

donny's right, this show just raises the bar for me all over.  great season length, some of the most likable characters out there (dustin's always gonna rate high, but lucas and steve both shined this season, and i really dug max too), while both the plot & character moved forward at what felt like a natural and enjoyable pace.  

little details - like jumbie's lingering critique of comic writers often making kids/young teens talk way more like adults than themselves, something thankfully absent here - really highlight not just the acting but the quality of the writing here too.  even big moments like

superhero bob's death, which was clearly telegraphed, still had both an impact and a brutality about it, making you genuinely feel like you knew he was doomed, but you're sad all the same. 

while we're here in spoiler tags: donny didn't dig the side-story with 8/kali, but i did.  yeah, it was the long way around the barn to develop 11 a bit, but it also showed you what other girls in the program are living like, and made the world a bit bigger as a result.  it also went about as expected, but i enjoyed my time with it - even if i was quietly like OKAY BUT HOW FUCKED IS THAT MILITARY BASE RIGHT NOW

...i did wish max got formally shown in the clan/group, but it's a minor knock.  hooper & 11's Last of Us relationship was touching, and even sides like will's brother/nancy managed to keep me interested

i don't know how long they can keep up this level of quality, but i know i'm down for the ride every time.  this show stays one of the best out there right now, by a country mile. 

also: if the writing/directing is there, harbor stands to tear it up as hellboy, i can't wait 

Finished.  Yeah, it's like the first season...but worse.  You can't duplicate the outta-the-gate surprise that was the first Season, as it got "deeper" into the world, it just completely lost me.  LOL - I was just like, naaaw.  Funk this.

The 80s aesthetic and the actors (performances) are the real stars.  Check out the previous page for my Season 1 review - it totally still applies here.

NOTHING. HAPPENS.  LOL - you can sum up the entire season in 2-3 episodes.  It barely inched forward.

Season 1 ended w/ Will obviously affected by the Upside Down and he lets a lil' baby monster loose into a drain.

Surprise: Season 2 plot - Will is affected and they have to deal w/ said monster.  Both - incredibly lame resolutions:

Someone deduces Will needs a blanket and the monster likes candy.  (coughs)

11 does that thing that she does...and closes the (all-important?) gate.  Stopping(?) the bad guy(?)...?  (cough)

'Stranger Things' is sure to become a Halloween staple.  (shrugs)  I'd like it to be!  You're watching for the atmosphere and the performances - and it's just a click on a thumbnail.

Like the previous season...you can get frustrated if you think too much about shit.  I hate being 5 steps ahead of the characters...or them doing things simply because the script / plot tell them to.

It's fun to watch w/ someone - 'cuz it really is more enjoyable talking back to the tv and laughing at some of sum seriously 'groan' enducing moments...and there are soooo many - and they go oooooon...

This IP seriously could be great - too bad.  Again, I'm not the target audience for this (not the seasons-long / drip-feed / soap opera fan) - but a one-time, Hallo-weekend evening, great atmosphere.

If this goes on for 5 more Seasons - I prolly will end up clicking every Hallo-weekend and gladly take in a dose of 80s-Halloween-ness...the atmosphere is stellar - but I really could give a shit about the overall story / plot-logic at this point.  It completely lost me in that regard.  If the next Season -

- is all about them discovering that the bad-guy is still alive in the Upside Down and the Season finale is them concluding that he is...I really wouldn't be surprised.  Fuck it - just gimme cool 80s shit...and put more pumpkins in there.  Love that soundtrack!

Best part of Season 2 was Samwise, hands-down.  Worst part?  Oh - don't get me started...

clue.jpg

• Confused 3

It's always so satisfying when you wait AGES for a new season of a show and it doesn't disappoint! I had so much fun with season 2 and enjoyed nearly every minute of it! That cast is just superb. Working with kids is notoriously difficult, but between this show and the new Stephen King's It, it's been an amazing year for young Hollywood. 

This season wasn't without its problems, but here's what I loved:

+ Will! I mean, how good is Noah Schnapp?? Those acting chops, the big brown eyes and his ability to cry on command, I just bought everything he was selling. I liked his exorcism story line too, it added something different to this season. 

+ Will and Mike's friendship. We all deserve a friend like Mike. He was so sweet, helping Will through his "episodes," staying with him at the "hospital," etc. Love these two together!

+ Dustin is ever a delight. 

+ We finally got to see more of Lucas and his family! His sassy little sister was hilarious.

+ Hopper was way more raw and vulnerable this season, especially in his scenes with El.

+ BOB NEWBY, SUPERHERO. Oh god, that hurt. But his arc was fantastic and although you see his death coming, it doesn't make it any easier. Also, everyone said season 1 had a Goonies vibe to it, so for season 2 they GOT A MOTHERFUCKIN' GOONIE to guest star. I ain't mad at it.

+ I think we can all agree Steve Harrington becoming den mother to the kids was the highlight of the season. His arc was by far the most satisfying! Nancy didn't deserve him, TBH. 

+ Excellent soundtrack (albeit sometimes too on-the-nose "she's a little runaway," etc), visuals, editing, etc. Just masterfully made. The episodes directed by the Duffer bros are always fantastic but we got two by Andrew Stanton (Wall-E, Finding Nemo), which was really cool!

These were just a few things I didn't like, but didn't stop me from loving the season as a whole:

- The Lost Sister episode. It must've been tough trying to figure out what to do with El while shit was building up in Hawkins. I was on board for the Hopper and mom story lines, those were interesting. But the "lost sister" episode was so boring. I get the need for it as a plot device but did we need an entire episode? It was especially frustrating because the previous ep ended with demogorgons crawling out of a hole and then we spend 45 minutes on a rag-tag group of strangers I didn't care about AT ALL. But, it got El to come home and help her friends, so I'll excuse it. Still, a definite low point of the season for me and will be skipped in re-watches.

- Max and her abusive brother. I don't think they added anything worthwhile to the story. The actress playing Max was a classic child over-actress who hasn't learned to rein in her performance and it stood out against the rest of the much more talented cast.

- Eleven and Max should have become friends in the end. I'm not about girl drama, especially of the pre-teen variety. I think it's toxic and does a disservice to their young fan base of impressionable girls. You guys should see the vile shit girls are saying to Sadie Sink (Max) on social media. She's had to disable comments on IG because people kept telling her she didn't belong on the show. While I agree storywise, these kids have a ridiculous loyalty to Millie Bobby Brown (Eleven), and the drama on the show is being carried over into real life. It's silly. Eleven is better than that. She should have overcome the jealousy and accepted Max.

Sorry, this got super long! I just really had a great time with this and love discussing it! I'm sorry it didn't click for everyone here. You can't please everyone!

• Upvote 1

Fer sher - those kid performances (hell, everyone's!) were impressive.  I mean, better than most actors today!  (Thanks for spoiling 'IT' for me:  so the kid actors were good?!  SPOILERS!  :wink:  Axels is right, maybe not awards - but accolades...despite my un-impressed ass about the plot.  It just could've been so much more!

Yeah, w/ kid actors - it's a gamble...but I honestly can't knock anyone's performance.  I mean, beyond good - great.  I'm gonna assume credit to the director and maybe just the behind-the-scenes 'comfort' the actors had w/ each other 'going for it' - honestly, it's that (and my nostalgia-fixation) - that will keep me tuned in.  None of the performances ever took me out - in fact, it kept me in - as I grumbled about how unnecessarily drawn out the plot was getting.

Max was a totally a bit over-the-top/'trying' - but, y'know - yeah, it's a kid actor...I can totally give it a pass - her character was intriguing...for a bit...

...what was her brother's obsession w/ her talking to people - or even liking/defending the town?  Red herring for a shitty home?

That rag-tag of 80s punks / 'failed detour' was the moment where I fell off.  Outside the town, which is totally a living-breathing Stephen King / Spielberg homage (LOL) - it turned the outside / real-world into a cartoon.  My brain immediately went into Agents of SHIELD / CW type of characters...I was like, maaaan.  Okay, I can't.  This is all just...naaaw.

The point was that she learned getting pissed makes you stronger?  There is so much they could've done w/ her free-time in that cabin - self-discovery...understanding of the world through 80s television...so much potential w/ her character and circumstances - being a child / noob w/ soopah-powers.  I don't mind a solo-trip to the outside / city...to find her momma - that makes sense and is interesting...

...but, I heard a balloon deflate when that punk group showed up...LOL  I was like, nooooooo...it was all soooo cartoony.  Their leader (her sister...ugh) has the ability to make illusions but the one dude doubts the possibility of the 'sister' having abilities...c'mooon.  Your leader has super-powers!!!  It was so obvious she'd ride w/ 'em for a bit before she realized she wasn't one of them.  Text book.

I get the point was to introduce what is prolly gonna be a complex net of shady business-types and corporate-stuff (those punks were on a mission to kill employees) but...save that for Season 3?  What a lame distraction...the take away was 11 is stronger when she mad (could've been done in the cabin) and she has a sister (ugh) that is killing Umbrella employees...pointless.

...I think her ride to find her mother / her sister could've gone very differently - in a very good / way more interesting / satisfying way.  Riding w/ cartoon characters - I'd have nixed that.  Also, her 'momma' not being ANOTHER psychic-character...the originality and 'special-ness' of 11 is gone.  Too many...soopah powers goin' on!

I'm assuming Will is psychic also, being there is no other explanation given on how he was able to communicate w/ his mother in Season 1.  Didn't the monster in Season 1 also have psychic abilities?  He opened the chain-lock through the door when he initially took Will in that shed...

It all just got...silly.  My expectations were plot-holes filled and explanations given in Season 2.  I think they're gonna ride on 'drip-feeding' the logic.  Whateva - you can keep me in suspense for so long before I start to think there is no answer, until production gauges the audience / critics...that shitty approach takes me out.

Sorry - if this all comes across as cruel - or snobby...but, hey...y'know.  Hey.

Edited by Little Nemo McFly

On 8/4/2016 at 12:28 AM, Mr. Hakujin said:

Hopper, what's in the box. What's in the booox? Eggos! WTF!?!?! Does this mean we'll get Stranger Things II: The Search For 11? God, I hope so. Mike will Take Elle to the Snow Ball in the S2 finale. This must happen!!!

ARE YOU KIDDING ME

I was at Target today - and saw this...had to share.

- they had Season 1 on blu...and it was set-up / boxed-up like a VHS tape - pretty freakin' awesome.  4 disc set:

tumblr_oyxewgn5to1vndct2o1_540.jpg

And the on the back it - 'GYAAAAAGH!'  Freakin'!

tumblr_oyxex6dTSV1vndct2o1_540.jpg

LOL!  :wink:

There was 'Stranger Things' merch everywhere.  Everywhere.  I also bumped into this...

It's everywhere.

• Upvote 1