Hondo's Bar

2016 Survey: Your Year in Entertainment

Sixteen questions about your 2016: Pop Culture/Entertainment Edition

1. The one celebrity that died in 2016 you’d bring back? (There can be only one!)
  2. Favorite TV show you binge watched in 2016?
  3. Favorite TV show you watched week to week in 2016?
  4. Favorite comedy film of 2016?
  5. Favorite action/sci-fi film of 2016?
  6. Favorite drama film of 2016?
  7. Favorite video game of 2016?
  8. Favorite musical artist of 2016?
  9. Favorite song of 2016?
  10. Favorite music album of 2016?
  11. Favorite book you read in 2016?
  12. Favorite comic book/graphic novel you read in 2016?
  13. Favorite app of 2016?
  14. Favorite talk show host in 2016?
  15. Favorite YouTube channel in 2016?
  16. Favorite thing you saw on social media in 2016?

• Upvote 2

let's do this!

1. The one celebrity that died in 2016 you’d bring back? Phife Dawg, A Tribe Called Quest. Ali bummed me out but Panch was right, it was his time & i'd not bring him back
  2. Favorite TV show you binge watched in 2016? Daredevil season 2, followed by Black Mirror
  3. Favorite TV show you watched week to week in 2016? Walking Dead
  4. Favorite comedy film of 2016? Ghostbusters
  5. Favorite action/sci-fi film of 2016? Civil War
  6. Favorite drama film of 2016? Deadpool
  7. Favorite video game of 2016? Yakuza 5, followed by Uncharted 4 & Earth Defense Force 4.1
  8. Favorite musical artist of 2016? Tribe Called Quest
  9. Favorite song of 2016? The Space Program
  10. Favorite music album of 2016? Thank you 4 Your Service...seeing a trend in my answers here
  11. Favorite book you read in 2016? i am like 2 chapters into Children of the Spider and it's great
  12. Favorite comic book/graphic novel you read in 2016? i really enjoyed warren ellis' 007 book, but i mostly read older stuff this year
  13. Favorite app of 2016? google maps, whatsapp
  14. Favorite talk show host in 2016? i like those clueless gamer bits from conan, and when he rides around with ice cube & kevin hart
  15. Favorite YouTube channel in 2016? game sack, generation-16, less so classic game room this year sadly
  16. Favorite thing you saw on social media in 2016? the collapse of the pretense that we're a civil society

• Upvote 1

1. The one celebrity that died in 2016 you’d bring back? (There can be only one!) Anton Yelchin. He was far too young and it was such a needless freak accidental death. tears.gif
  2. Favorite TV show you binge watched in 2016? Stranger Things
  3. Favorite TV show you watched week to week in 2016? I didn't really watch anything week to week...Oh! I guess NZA and I started that Leah Remini Scientology doc in 2016. I'll go with that.
  4. Favorite comedy film of 2016? Ghostbusters
  5. Favorite action/sci-fi film of 2016? Deadpool (does that count as action?)
  6. Favorite drama film of 2016? Room with Brie Larson came out in 2015 but I saw it in 2016 and it blew me away.
  7. Favorite video game of 2016? N/A
  8. Favorite musical artist of 2016? A Tribe Called Quest (dammit I wanted to fill this in before NZA!!)
  9. Favorite song of 2016? We the People
  10. Favorite music album of 2016? We Got it from Here...Thank You 4 Your Service
  11. Favorite book you read in 2016? Ready Player One is the only book I read this year
  12. Favorite comic book/graphic novel you read in 2016? Finally started reading Preacher. Loving it but not done yet! I need more free time, dammit.
  13. Favorite app of 2016? Waze saved my bacon in traffic more times than I can count.
  14. Favorite talk show host in 2016? Any other year it woulda been Conan but I feel like I've watched more Jimmy Fallon clips this year! He has awesome guests and funny bits. He's doing a great job at the Tonight Show.
  15. Favorite YouTube channel in 2016? Don't follow any!

• Upvote 2

1. The one celebrity that died in 2016 you’d bring back? CARRIE FISHER - so she could finish the Sequel Trilogy
  2. Favorite TV show you binge watched in 2016? NA
  3. Favorite TV show you watched week to week in 2016? NA
  4. Favorite comedy film of 2016? NA
  5. Favorite action/sci-fi film of 2016? ROGUE ONE
  6. Favorite drama film of 2016? (Documentary count?) FINDING VIVIAN MAIER
  7. Favorite video game of 2016? TWILIGHT PRINCESS HD
  8. Favorite musical artist of 2016? NA
  9. Favorite song of 2016? NA
  10. Favorite music album of 2016? NA
  11. Favorite book you read in 2016? NA
  12. Favorite comic book/graphic novel you read in 2016? GHOSTBUSTERS: GET REAL
  13. Favorite app of 2016? NA
  14. Favorite talk show host in 2016? NA
  15. Favorite YouTube channel in 2016? GAMING HISTORIAN
  16. Favorite thing you saw on social media in 2016? NA

• Upvote 1

1. The one celebrity that died in 2016 you’d bring back? (There can be only one!)

Jose Fernandez. Dude represented my people with the most grace and class and could have been more than just a baseball player and Hall of Famer in the future. He had a whole life ahead of him of doing good for his community and home country through charity and philanthropy. AND to have met the guy right before his death? I got to see, first hand, what kind of person he was and he was, ABSOLUTELY, taken too soon.

Daredevil (season 2). PUNISHER!!!

The Walking Dead. However, I'm really enjoing the current season of Vikings. The second half of the season, anyway. I'm about to shave my head and go raid Nick's fridge!

Pools of Dead.

5. Favorite action/sci-fi film of 2016?

Wars of Civil: American Captain. SPIDEY!!!

6. Favorite drama film of 2016?

Had to Google "drama films of 2016" cause I couldn't think of any off the top of my head and realized I, REALLY, hadn't seen many movies this year. Let alone drama ones. The Jungle Book had some drama in it, right?

7. Favorite video game of 2016?

Pokemon GO? I really didn't play any games this year, either :/

8. Favorite musical artist of 2016?

Tribe. Their shit was right on time.

9. Favorite song of 2016?

Weirdly enough: Bounce Back by Big Sean. Not a fan of Sean, but that song spoke to me/got me through some shit.

10. Favorite music album of 2016?

Tribe again.

11. Favorite book you read in 2016?

Haha (I'm stealing all of Nick's answers)! Children of the Spider.

12. Favorite comic book/graphic novel you read in 2016?

I was really liking the Spider-Gwen stuff.

13. Favorite app of 2016?

Pokemon GO again, I guess.

Samantha Bee and Trevor Noah for the tie.

Red Letter Media. I wanna hang wit those guys.

Social Media was probably the worst thing of 2016.

• Upvote 2

• The one celebrity that died in 2016 you’d bring back? (There can be only one!) Anton Yelchin I guess. He had alot of potential to put out some really great stuff and become a huge name in the future. Green Room is a great movie and even mediocre stuff he is in, he either carries it or is the highlight. A close second is Gene Wilder, if I had to pick someone older.
  • Favorite TV show you binge watched in 2016? Westworld and Stranger Things
  • Favorite TV show you watched week to week in 2016? Game of Thrones. Finally getting around to the endgame.
  • Favorite comedy film of 2016? Deadpool
  • Favorite action/sci-fi film of 2016? Civil War
  • Favorite drama film of 2016? Kubo and the Two Strings (this could really fill the above 2 as well)
  • Favorite video game of 2016? Final Fantasy XV. Square's back baby.
  • Favorite musical artist of 2016? Judas Priest (I listened to alot of Priest this year. It wasn't 2016 stuff tho...)
  • Favorite song of 2016? Lone Digger (released 2015, but I discovered it this year)
  • Favorite music album of 2016? Didn't have one.
  • Favorite book you read in 2016? I need to read more...
  • Favorite comic book/graphic novel you read in 2016? I Hate Fairyland!
  • Favorite app of 2016? I used google maps and Spotify alot I guess...
  • Favorite talk show host in 2016? John fucking Oliver
  • Favorite YouTube channel in 2016? I watched Jim Sterling more than anyone I think this year.
  • Favorite thing you saw on social media in 2016? Puns

• Upvote 1

Carrie Fisher. Out of all the celebs that passed in 2016, she was the one I would have most like to have met and whose work had the biggest impact on my life. Sorry, Anton.

This is a tough one for me as I binged a lot—like, a lot, a lot—of good TV in 2016. However, this was the year for Stranger Things. All hail.

Game of Thrones S6 wins this one with Walking Dead S6.2 & S7.1 a close second.

Deadpool.

5.Favorite action/sci-fi film of 2016?

Arrival was the best sci-fi film I saw in 2016, but the best sci-fi/action film was Rogue One.

6.Favorite drama film of 2016?

I really should’ve made this category best documentary because looking back, I watched more docs than dramas that were released in 2016. I guess I could put Arrival in this category as it was technically a sci-fi drama.

7.Favorite video game of 2016?

I’m not a big gamer, so I did not play a single game that was released in 2016. However, I played a helluva lot of Minecraft and Words With Friends. (Don't judge!)

8.Favorite musical artist of 2016?

Even though they have been around for a bit and they really blew up in 2015 with Blurryface, 2016 is the year I discovered Twenty One Pilots.

9.Favorite song of 2016?

“A Million Reasons” by Lady Gaga. There were a couple of songs I first discovered in 2016 that I liked better than this one, but those came out in 2015. "A Million Reasons" came out in 2016, and I really dig it.

10.Favorite music album of 2016?

We Got It from Here…Thank You 4 Your Service by A Tribe Called Quest. This is the comeback album I never knew I wanted.

11.Favorite book you read in 2016?

I didn’t actually read any novels that were released in 2016, but I did read and love Castle In the Air, which is Diana Wynne Jones’ follow up novel to Howl’s Moving Castle. (Which is another great book, but one I read in 2015.)

12.Favorite comic book/graphic novel you read in 2016?

Vaughn & Staples’ Saga was the best monthly comic I read in 2016. (Looking forward to reading issue 41 soon!)

13.Favorite app of 2016?

Does Siri count as an app? If so, then that. If not, then I suppose my favorite app that was new to me in 2016 would be the Amazon Music app. I joined Prime in in 2015 and finally put this app on my phone in November of 2016. I don’t use Spotify or Pandora, but I have been using this one quite a lot.

14.Favorite talk show host in 2016?

This was another tough one as all the hosts put up entertaining clips almost weekly on YouTube. I enjoyed John Oliver a lot, and his was the only show I actually watched entire episodes of throughout the year. However, Stephen Colbert’s take on 2016 and the election insanity was the winner for me.

15.Favorite YouTube channel in 2016?

I probably watched more YouTube this year than I should have. In summer 2016 I was endlessly entertained by all things Action Bronson on YouTube. However, the majority of Bronson stuff was on various channels and not just the clips on the Munchies channel. I also enjoyed the Hot Ones interviews. But the one channel I enjoyed the most in 2016 was Joe Rogan’s podcast on the PowerfulJRE channel.

16.Favorite thing you saw on social media in 2016?

Puns is the best answer, but it belongs to another. Pre-election meltdown, there were a few people in my Facebook feed that I could rely on to give me solid clips on the daily. Adele’s Carpool Karaoke was such a clip. It's something I watched several time throughout the year just when I needed to cheer up.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin
The format went kookie.

• The one celebrity that died in 2016 you’d bring back? (There can be only one!) Probably go for Cohen, given Lemmy died just shy of 2016.
  • Favorite TV show you binge watched in 2016? Stranger things/Luke Cage/Daredevil S2 lasted about a day each.
  • Favorite TV show you watched week to week in 2016? Motherfucking Westworld.
  • Favorite comedy film of 2016? Torn between Central Intelligence and Hail Cesar.
  • Favorite action/sci-fi film of 2016? Jungle Book? Jungle book. It was the tits.
  • Favorite drama film of 2016? Probably Manchester By The Sea
  • Favorite video game of 2016? Genuinely haven't bought one this year.
  • Favorite musical artist of 2016? Yeasayer.
  • Favorite song of 2016? Silly Me - Yeasayer
  • Favorite music album of 2016? Alcest - Kodama (Hardest to answer as 2016 was great for tunes)
  • Favorite book you read in 2016? Aziz Ansari - Modern Romance: An Investigation
  • Favorite comic book/graphic novel you read in 2016? Didn't read one.
  • Favorite app of 2016? Deezer
  • Favorite talk show host in 2016? James Corden
  • Favorite YouTube channel in 2016? Markiplier I guess. But mostly fuck youtube channels.
  • Favorite thing you saw on social media in 2016? Carpool Karaoke has been genuinely outstanding. Madonna excluded, that is.

• Favorite comedy film of 2016? Torn between Central Intelligence and Hail Cesar.
  • Favorite action/sci-fi film of 2016? Jungle Book? Jungle book. It was the tits.
  • Favorite drama film of 2016? Probably Manchester By The Sea
  • Favorite musical artist of 2016? Yeasayer.
  • Favorite thing you saw on social media in 2016? Carpool Karaoke has been genuinely outstanding. Madonna excluded, that is.

I forgot about Central Intelligence. That was solid comedy. I want to give Hail, Caesar another watch as well. I feel like it's worth a second viewing. Jungle Book was indeed titastic. And Manchester By The Sea is on my must see list for 2017. Never heard of Yeasayer, but I'll check them out. And no shit about Madonna. She stunk of desperation so badly it was painful to watch.

...12. Favorite comic book/graphic novel you read in 2016?

I was really liking the Spider-Gwen stuff.

Samantha Bee and Trevor Noah for the tie.

Red Letter Media. I wanna hang wit those guys.

Did Spider-Gwen stop being good or did you just fall behind in reading? It's in my "to read" queue.

I still haven't gotten around to watching Samantha Bee's show. It seems like there's an over abundance of political satire and comedic commentary out there now. Between Oliver, Colbert, Meyers, and The Daily Show I get my fill.

Red Letter Media was another channel I watched, too. I saw most of their Half In The Bag reviews in 2016 and their year end recap was good. I thought they took a bit too much joy in shitting on Rogue One though. I thought they were hardcore SW faboys, but that's not the case at all.

They're not tho. Mike and Rich Evans are Star Trek guys, through-and-through.

I'd like to think I'm a Mike, but I know I'm the love-child of Rich and Jay.

As far as the Spider-Gwen stuff: I didn't read much, but what I did, I liked. It's a fresh, fun take on Spider-Man. I, also, loved what they did with some of the supporting cast (Matt Murdock and Peggy Carter).

Lastly: Samantha Bee is great! She's really the more savage version of everyone else. Don't get me wrong: I love Oliver, Noah and Colbert (I also loved Wilmore), but Bee is the bee's knees (I'm sorry). Seriously, she might be the best of them all.

Edited by Da Cap'n 2099

I thought they were hardcore SW faboys, but that's not the case at all.

They really are - that's why they hate it so much. wink.png

Their 'Best of the Worst' stuff is pretty great. Highly recommended.

It's hard to tell Mike n' Jay apart sometimes - one of the few movies they disagreed on was Jurassic World...and I think Prometheus. Mike loooved Jurassic World - Jay hated it. Jay liked Prometheus...no wait, I think they both liked Prometheus...

LOL - they're fanboys - even if they don't know it. Ever seen 'The People vs. George Lucas?' Full of SW fanboys who hate the prequels n' loathe George Lucas for 'ruining Star Wars'. Half in the Bag did an episode where they interviewed the director of 'The People vs George Lucas' - Mike passionately loves the OT. Anyone who makes videos like he did about how the 'Prequels ruined Star Wars'...isn't just 'a fan'. Lashing out at 'brain-dead SW fans' for liking Rogue One? LOL - their jelly was showing in that review they did...and in the video response they made to the comments they got. LOL - I love fanboys. Passion is totally human.

On topic...um...Jungle Book was the shit. LOL - seriously, it was.