Hondo's Bar

Y The Last Man

The NZA

'Y: The Last Man' TV Series in the Works at FX (Exclusive)

y_the_last_man_a_p.jpg

Brian K. Vaughan's beloved comic Y: The Last Man is coming to television.

FX is teaming with Vaughan and Color Force's Nina Jacobson and Brad Simpson to develop the dystopian sci-fi comic as an ongoing series, The Hollywood Reporter has learned. A search is under way to find a writer to develop the series with Vaughan. A director for the potential series has not yet been determined. Y: The Last Man, which is purely in development at this time, will be produced by FX and FX Productions.

FX declined comment.

Y: The Last Man ranks as one of the most beloved and critically acclaimed comic book series of all time. The Vertigo title was first launched in 2002 and revolves around Yorick Brown — the last surviving human with a Y chromosome — and his Capuchin monkey, Ampersand. The series follows escape artist Yorick after the mysterious plague as he sets out to find what might have wiped out the world's male chromosomes.

The news of a Y: The Last Man TV series comes after a long waiting period as rights to the series reverted back from New Line to Vaughan after the company's plans to convert the comics to a feature film were scrapped.

New Line — a corporate sibling to publisher Vertigo — acquired the film rights to the series in 2007 and set David Goyer, Carl Ellsworth and director D.J. Caruso to adapt. The latter wound up walking away from the project after New Line didn't want to produce the saga as a three-film franchise but rather a two-hour stand-alone feature.

In March 2012, Jericho's Matthew Federman and Stephen Scaia were in final negotiations to take on the property with J.C. Spink, Chris Bender and David Goyer producing and Mason Novick and Jake Weiner set as executive producers. The latter fell apart in September 2014 when Vaughan announced that the rights were in the process of reverting back to him and the movie was dead.

"We wanted to tell a complete story … but not the whole story," Vaughan said at the time, noting that he had hoped that "in success, we could get tell the rest of our serialized adventure."

• 3 months later...

How did this get no response here yet?

Looks like it'll be in good hands.

Brian K. Vaughan Calling The Shots On FX's Y: THE LAST MAN

130058.jpg

FX CEO John Landgraf provided an update on the status of the network's adaptation of Y: The Last Man. An announcement should be made soon but comic book creator Brian K. Vaughan, who has TV experience from Lost and Under the Dome, is calling the shots on the project.

Follow Mark:

CBMBTNS.png facebookBTNS.png twitterBTNS.png googleBTNS.png

By Mark Julian - 1/16/2016

130058.jpg

Last year, an adaptation of Y: The Last Man was announced to be in development at FX. However, since that announcement, no new details have emerged. At the Winter TCA's FX CEO John Landgraf stated that news should be coming soon but ultimately, Brian K. Vaughn is in the driver's seat and will control the direction of the show. Said Landgraf, "We’ve had a number of producers and writers who really want to participate in that. Ultimately, it’s Brian’s call who he wants to work with and I think that’ll come out soon."

Edited by alive she cried

• 9 months later...

Y: The Last Man TV Series Has a Showrunner, May Really Actually Happen

gcuyzvomtbrmbfaijaeo.jpg

It’s been over a year since we learned the long-awaited adaptation of Bryan K. Vaughan and Pia Guerra’s beloved Vertigo comic series Y: The Last Man was really happening. But with scarce news about the promised TV show since, we’d started to wonder if we’d ever see it. Today, things took an encouraging turn.

The Hollywood Reporter brings news that FX has brought Michael Green aboard as Y: The Last Man’s showrunner; he will also co-write the the script with Vaughan. The 60-issue Y: The Last Man series begins after a plague has wiped every man from Earth save one: the titular Yorick, who roams the planet looking for answers (and meeting some kick-ass women) alongside his pet monkey, Ampersand. If the show gets picked up by FX—which had no comment for THR—it will be produced by Nina Jacobson and Brad Simpson, who had a recent hit for the network with The People v. O.J. Simpson.

And Green’s genre cred is legit: his current gig is co-showrunning (with Bryan Fuller) the upcoming adaptation of Neil Gaiman’s American Gods for Starz. His resume also includes producing credits on shows like Heroes and Smallville, and co-writing credits on Logan, Alien: Covenant, and Blade Runner 2049.

• 1 year later...

you think FX will pull punches?  a lotta shit goes down in the book, but i feel like they've let WD get away with more than i thought they would have going in 

or do you think they'll possibly skimp somewhere else? 

The thing we've seen from Preacher (before I Popeyed outta there*) and also The Walking Dead is that FX don't seem too willing to splash out on the kind of budget required for the characters to hit the road and move from location to location in the first couple of seasons. It's been a while since I've read the comics, but don't they get on the move almost immediately? 

Hard to tell whether we should be elated or terrified. I would say I'm currently cautiously optimistic. 

• Haha 2

i really should've popeye'd out in the first season.  you did the right thing

yeah, i recall them moving around every arc or two...still, effects-wise, i kept thinking this would be infinitely cheaper than walking dead, so that keeps me optimstic

of course, so should preacher but that really hasn't helped it one bit sadly

2 hours ago, Axels said:

Ugh I keep forgetting about Preacher, then I get sad when I remember.

I keep thinking I'll eventually go back and watch S2, but I just can't find the motivation.

I'll definitely give Y:TLM a try if it goes to air, but I'm keeping expectations at floor level until I see a trailer.

FX has some decent programming, but other networks, like SyFy, are pulling ahead in the budget department (SyFy also drops the F-bomb like crazy now). HBO has that dragon money so they're the number one and my choice for important comic properties like Y. Again, FX is fine, but I'm a little concerned we won't get the full potential. AMC has fallen off since Breaking Bad and Mad Men finished. Walking Dead just doesn't look as good as the early seasons (I might also have grown accustomed).

• 3 months later...

'Y: The Last Man' FX Cast Unveiled - Diane Lane and Barry Keoghan to Star

Two months after FX formally announced plans to make a pilot for beloved graphic novel Y: The Last Man, the cable network has announced the cast for the highly anticipated drama.

Diane Lane (Under the Tuscan Sun), Barry Keoghan (Dunkirk), Imogen Poots (Green Room), Lashana Lynch (Captain Marvel), Juliana Canfield (Succession) and Marin Ireland (Sneaky Pete) will star in Michael Green's adaptation of Brian K. Vaughan's comic series.

Lane will play Senator Jennifer Brown, a junior senator in her first term who has already made a name for herself in political circles for her willingness to put personal ideals above politics, she is also the mother of Yorick and Hero Brown.

Keoghan will take on the lead role of Yorick, a young man who is quick to use humor to deflect from his problems who may be the lone male survivor of a worldwide plague.

Poots will play Hero Brown, a tough and confident EMT who nurses a deep emotional trauma that often leads her to cross personal and professional lines.

Lynch will portray Agent 355, a Secret Service agent who performs the duties of her job with the utmost professionalism — even under the most unexpected circumstances.

Canfield will take on the role of Beth, a Brooklyn-based knife maker who grew up on a farm and went to New York to experience the big city. She finds something endearing about the hapless Yorick and when they're together, there's the undeniable spark of two kids in love.

Ireland rounds out the cast as Nora, the president's senior assistant and right hand. She effortlessly balances family life with a job navigating the corridors of power.

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

Y: The Last Man' FX Cast Unveiled as Diane Lane and Barry Keoghan to Star

Two months after FX formally announced plans to make a pilot for beloved graphic novel Y: The Last Man, the cable network has announced the cast for the highly anticipated drama.

Diane Lane (Under the Tuscan Sun), Barry Keoghan (Dunkirk), Imogen Poots (Green Room), Lashana Lynch (Captain Marvel), Juliana Canfield (Succession) and Marin Ireland (Sneaky Pete) will star in Michael Green's adaptation of Brian K. Vaughan's comic series.

Lane will play Senator Jennifer Brown, a junior senator in her first term who has already made a name for herself in political circles for her willingness to put personal ideals above politics, she is also the mother of Yorick and Hero Brown.

Keoghan will take on the lead role of Yorick, a young man who is quick to use humor to deflect from his problems who may be the lone male survivor of a worldwide plague.

Poots will play Hero Brown, a tough and confident EMT who nurses a deep emotional trauma that often leads her to cross personal and professional lines.

Lynch will portray Agent 355, a Secret Service agent who performs the duties of her job with the utmost professionalism — even under the most unexpected circumstances.

Canfield will take on the role of Beth, a Brooklyn-based knife maker who grew up on a farm and went to New York to experience the big city. She finds something endearing about the hapless Yorick and when they're together, there's the undeniable spark of two kids in love.

Ireland rounds out the cast as Nora, the president's senior assistant and right hand. She effortlessly balances family life with a job navigating the corridors of power.

and finally...the bad news :misty:

true - but it gets better!

FX's 'Y: The Last Man' Series Parting Ways With Showrunners

FX is still moving forward with its series adaptation of the beloved comic book series Y: The Last Man — but not with the original showrunners. Aida Croal and Michael Green on Monday announced their exit in a statement on Twitter.

The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed that the project is still a go at the network, with the same cast in place, but the hunt is now on to replace the duo who had shepherded the development and piloting of the series now just being dubbed Y. Sources say that the exit came after creative differences with the network over the course of the show.
  • Wow! 1

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...