Hondo's Bar

The Terror

locandina.jpg

This is Ridley Scott's Alien on ice. I guess it makes sense since he's the executive producer (but don't run away yet!).

I'm 5 episodes into this AMC show and it's a slooooow burn, but interesting and legit creepy/scary. And when the goods come, it's good stuff! I can't wait to see how it ends!

• Thanks 1

If this sticks to the book it's going to be significantly more upsetting than Alien, it will also be crazy long and you're going to wonder why you're even watching it at a certain point since real world history spoiled the end.

Edited by Iambaytor
Nope

I know, that's the point.  Midway through the book you go "Wait, nobody's making it back to civilization and there's like 500 pages left, why am I just watching all these people die slowly?"  You get fatigued at a certain point and I think the show will probably reach that point too, I'm just reassuring that there IS a reason to keep watching when you hit that wall.

Edited by Iambaytor
Not a spoiler

8 minutes ago, alive she cried said:

I don't know which historical event this is based on. But just to be on the safe side let's not assume everybody knows the full details on every (I'm assuming) Arctic/Antarctic expedition in history. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Terror_(1813)

I think the fact that it is famous and watching five minutes of the show tell you all you need to know.  I'm not going to spoiler tag real life.

• Haha 1

When it's being adapted into a book/tv show/movie, I feel spoiler tags rules should still be adhered to. I've never heard of the HMS Terror, and I didn't know anything about how that story/account ended until your post (which I only half read before looking away, so I'd appreciate not spoilering any further). There's also the fact adaptations often take major liberties with their depiction of events, this could easily have been one of them. 

The boat didn't come back, it got stuck, nobody knows what specifically happened to everyone onboard.  The show and book involve a monster of mysterious origins and some other stuff happens, I won't spoil the stuff and monsters aren't real.

Edited by Iambaytor
It's the premise of the show
  • Downvote 1

Really, Baytor? I gotta agree with ASC here. Just assume everyone hasn't read every book or seen every movie or knows about every historical event ever. And while 1845 was long enough ago that "spoilers" shouldn't be a thing, the fate of the Terror is obscure enough you probably coulda left it alone.

Nope, this is a bridge too far.  I'll begrudge being spoiler-fussy about a lot of shit but I'm not going to tiptoe around one (two) of the most famous "mysteriously lost" ships in history because somebody hadn't hear of it.  Maybe you have not heard of this, maybe you missed the news story in 2008 where they found the wreckage of the boat but the book was written with the understanding that the person reading it already knew that the boats were lost and the crew were never found.  Even if you manage to "LA LA LA NOT LISTENING" your way past that point, watching any of the show is going to give you a pretty good idea that they don't make it back to England, the fact that there's a monster is more of spoiler than that.  The story is highly fictionalized, based on people who didn't even exist and takes dramatic license with those that did.  I was and am reassuring you that the fact that they don't make it back to England should not be a hurdle because at a certain point the story hits a wall (MAYBE the show will find a way around this, I doubt it) and you're going to wonder why you're just watching an excruciatingly sad story limp toward an obvious conclusion, there's a point to everything on the other side and I'm not even going to hint at what it is or how it happens.  I have barely even touched on the plot of this show and that's the important part you're going to not want spoiled, so chill.

Nah, I'd just PM you the whole thing if I was going to do that, which I won't because I don't actually want to spoil the show for you.  The things that are actually spoilers are really interesting and best learned as they happened, it's a mystery.  The ill-fated nature of the voyage, however, is not a spoiler it's just a thing you didn't know.  

Edited by Iambaytor

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Damn this was a great show. Panch is right to warn that the pacing on this bad boy is slooooow. But it really fits the narrative. I'm a fan of British naval exploration tales in general, so the fact this was all based on a true story was really intriguing to me. I binged it over about a week because after every episode I'd watch all the extras on the AMC website and spend a good amount of time online researching and reading about the ships, their successors, the novel, etc. However, after having finished the series, I do wish I would've read the book first as there are some key elements (namely the ending) that I likely would've enjoyed a whole lot more in the book had the series not spoiled it.

• 1 year later...

I guess everyone forgot about George Takei's harassment stuff/nothing came of it?

Season one was fantastic and very satisfying. Slow, but never uninteresting. This one looks to focus alot more on the supernatural stuff. Looks like cool stuff.