Hondo's Bar

Academy Announces Changes for the Oscars for 2019 and Beyond

source 

Cutting the telecast down to 3 hours (It use to be roughly 4 hours long) and to do that seems like will give out awards during commercial breaks and show speeches later on

Adding a new category for Popular Movies, assume this is result of pushback from stuff like Wonder Woman and Get Out and the headache Black Panther was sure to cause this year. 

still no stunt man, choreography, voice acting & such, but...yay for popular movie copout, i guess?

Are the MTV movie awards still a thing? I expect the Blockbuster awards are no more, so maybe the Oscars are trying to fill that gap?

But yeah, this is a total backhanded compliment move. I expect it'll work though. The insult is subtle and if the DC vs Marvel movies debate (among other pop movie debates) has taught me anything it's that fans of the movies care about this kind of thing enough that the ceremony really will see a ratings boost from the people who usually wouldn't tune in.

you're right, but..it's kinda a black panther award.  no one but the hardest core DC fan compares them to 3rd wave (current) marvel movies, because ragnarok, infinity war etc outclass say justice league by such a degree that they're not worth comparing.  

still the academy was already biased against summer blockbsuters...superhero shit, a genre inherently limited to problems resolved by punching each other?  god, they'd prolly rather die than admit some of the more subversie stuff is actually top shelf. 

On 8/8/2018 at 3:23 PM, The NZA said:

source 

still no stunt man, choreography, voice acting & such, but...yay for popular movie copout, i guess?

Exactly right about it being a copout and needing a stunts category or two. I wonder if they could include stunts under choreography since we don't really get that many key dance numbers in films these days?

i imagine it could fit?  i wanna say it'd rob some pieces but that's entirely happening now without recognition of all that talent anyway.  

and i didn't even think of dance numbers, but you're right, that fits the bill - i was thinking fight scenes, war/shootouts, car chases etc.  shit is artful, but still treated as low-brow. 

On 8/13/2018 at 6:33 PM, Axels said:

God, The Raid movies would fucking kill if they were considered for stunts. 

cos of all the dads it fucked.....

Really really fucking hard not to echo the condescending argument mentioned. Has there been much in terms of public backlash against this from anyone prominent? Because I can't see how people sat down together and thought that this was the best solution to an issue.

Why they can't split it out a bit like the Emmy's (Best comedy/drama etc) I'll never know.

3 hours ago, the division of joy said:

Why they can't split it out a bit like the Emmy's (Best comedy/drama etc) I'll never know.

The Golden Globes has a Comedy/Musical category and a Drama category and that has turned into such a joke. In recent years we've seen The Tourist (romantic thriller), The Martian (sci-fi), and fucking GET OUT (horror) nominated in the Comedy category just so they have a shot at winning. It's absolute bullshit and I'm sure that would happen with the Oscars as well. 

Seems like there's no easy answer here, besides the Academy actually realizing the value of "popular" films and nominating them for Best Picture. I thought it would happen when they extended the category to allow for more films, but no such luck. 

• Upvote 1