Hondo's Bar

Ghostbusters: Afterlife

The NZA

On 1/16/2019 at 6:19 PM, Donatella said:

I hear this iteration will completely ignore the all-female remake. I guess you win, man-babies.

?

It's a Sequel to a 30 year old movie.

Why would the cast from the 2016 movie be in part 3.

here's a movie from a "fan" that won't offend those concerned with misandry i guess 

I hope the guy is fan due to his father being the co- Creator of the franchise.

4 hours ago, Da Cap'n 2099 said:

And how many folks here have seen the movie yet? How do we know there won't be some mentions? Or cameos? Or something? This "outrage" is hypocritical amd makes you no better than than the man-babies.

Glad you put outrage in quotes because what outrage? A snarky comment doesn’t equal outrage. Also it wasn’t that big of a leap to make considering ALL the headlines. 

zabpPXl.jpg

And I think it’s pretty naive to think if they do completely ignore the 2016 version, that isn’t them making a statement. Not in this era. Not when it’s this recent and not after the immense backlash it received, before ever being released, SOLELY because it was a female cast. What was done to them was heinous and you don’t get to ignore that and have it sit well with people. 

• Like 1

sucks for more than just "the ladies", but they're clearly going to keep being dumped on like they were last time, despite a fun movie.  like newt & donny said, the hate campaign on leslie alone was enough to wanna distance myself from much of the fanbase here, despite wanting to be a ghostbuster forever now.  id love to be able to just approach this as another go at a beloved franchise, but my fandom isnt gonna let me pretend things aren't a bit tainted here  

also don't know how you can determine it's the move you wanted since a kid from that teaser, but if this turns out wack, the real 3 was the game anyway 

Man, it's fucked up how Spider-Man: Homecoming didn't have mention to Andrew Garfield OR Toby McGuire! Sure, the fanbase sucks, but the filmmakers have nothing to do with that. If they decide to not mention the remake isn't that their business? It isn't "dumping" on them. The original cast doesn't owe them anything. Them trying to shoehorn a statement or characters just to say, "the remake was good, guys. Acknowledge it" is dumb. They just wanna make their movie.

And, yeah, I've wanted a part three since I saw two, not since some weird teaser.

Edited by Da Cap'n 2099

ehhh ghostbusters 1 is like MJ to my childhood, i'm too close to see if it'd be as timeless for others, but it was really unique & came together in such a great way that you wanted to forgive 2.  i'd definitely say see the original and if it doesn't do it for you, stop there. 

10 hours ago, Da Cap'n 2099 said:

Man, it's fucked up how Spider-Man: Homecoming didn't have mention to Andrew Garfield OR Toby McGuire! Sure, the fanbase sucks, but the filmmakers have nothing to do with that. If they decide to not mention the remake isn't that their business? It isn't "dumping" on them. The original cast doesn't owe them anything. Them trying to shoehorn a statement or characters just to say, "the remake was good, guys. Acknowledge it" is dumb. They just wanna make their movie.

how are these in any way comparable?  

a long-dead franchise announces a new approach & instantly falls victim to a huge internet hate campaign, with, predictably enough, the sole black woman being so flooded with racist imagery & then doxxed with her nude pictures widely circulated online, she literally leaves social media for a while.  a prominent nazi sympathizer had to be permanently banned from twitter to pump the breaks on the attacks on these female comedians who committed the sin of bringing more representation.  

that's what happened last time.  you can remember it as a movie you didn't enjoy, but that's the legacy of the film and the culture around it.  it's not about trying to get people (many of whom made up their minds from said campaign, but not all) to like something they didn't. 

the closest (and still a distant 2nd place) analogy here is star wars, and yes, if the next one came up by capitulating to the worst demographics of said base by promising to not even acknowledge the prior strong female leads - however momentarily - that would be "their business" and a decision they'd be free to make.  

it'd also be a cowardly one, and i and others would still call it what it is.  if they think they can't tell a story (that almost certainly will have nods to the original members) without erasing women, that's weak. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, The NZA said:

ehhh ghostbusters 1 is like MJ to my childhood, i'm too close to see if it'd be as timeless for others, but it was really unique & came together in such a great way that you wanted to forgive 2.  i'd definitely say see the original and if it doesn't do it for you, stop there.

And that's a fair take, if you watched it as a kid or it just hit you at the right time it feels powerful and it's such a singular weird hodgepodge of voices and ideas that it adds up to something special but Ghostbusters is a cult movie like Highway to Hell or Nothing But Trouble with the trappings of a slobs vs. snobs comedy.  It's pretty light on jokes and the few it has only really work because of how they're delivered and while the special effects are truly great and fairly numerous they're pretty much the b-plot behind all the dull William Atherton and half-baked romance plots.  Ghostbusters is a more a vibe than a movie and if you're not tapped into it from the beginning it's kind of bewildering to see the movie from the outside in.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Huh, you notice how all the people who didn't like the Ghostbusters remake because it "didn't feel like Ghostbusters" are weirdly silent about this trailer that looks or feels nothing like a Ghostbusters movie? Weird, it's almost like that wasn't their actual problem with the remake.

I'm sure this movie will probably be fine but it looks like such a departure from what these movies are. Maybe that's a good thing? I honestly couldn't say and only time will tell but that trailer was just a big pile of nostalgia-bait on top of nothing.

• Really Like 1
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Iambaytor said:

Huh, you notice how all the people who didn't like the Ghostbusters remake because it "didn't feel like Ghostbusters" are weirdly silent about this trailer that looks or feels nothing like a Ghostbusters movie? Weird, it's almost like that wasn't their actual problem with the remake.

👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

yeah, strong +1 there

also in one of our older ghostbusters threads baytor i wanna say you'd made a point about GB2 not being as great because 1 was lightning in a bottle and you can't really replicate that (i could be remembering wrong here)

having recently seen the movies that made us with joods on this one reality reinforced that, and i can totally see why they might want such a drastic departure thatd not feel as tied down - that said, yeah, its weird seeing folks online say ghostbusters was never really a comedy, why go watch the original trailer it's just like this etc. i mean, stop jumping though hoops and just say what you wanna say 

I found value in the remake, even if I was not in love with it. Hell, McKinnen is a national treasure and is basically carrying SNL right now - but that's not why we are here. 

I followed the GB hashtag all day, because I thought the fanboys were going to lose their shit. Reception has been fairly positive. There has been some "not my Ghostbusters" but you know what, maybe at this point Ghostbusters isn't for you and we need to hand it off to a new generation. (btw, in the history of the GB, all the rewrite, all the lost ideas Ackroyd had, it was ALWAYS going this way).

And yes, every IT chapter 3, Stranger things etc jokes have been made, at length but there was a tweet that I think summed it up best and I apologize for not having it on hand so I have to paraphrase.

"If Stranger Things copied Ghostbusters, and Ghostbusters is copying Stranger Things, then Ghostbusters is just being Ghostbusters."

right, but i don't think those 2 things are necessarily so similar? they both feature supernatural stuff in the 80s

if they're gonna merge somehow now (thematically or otherwise) of course ill be down for the ride, but it'd be a new direction & I'm still puzzled by folks (elsewhere) seeming convinced that it's not