Hondo's Bar

Webcomics - Best of

The NZA

Many members of this board frequent webcomics: theyre some of the most original things on the net. I loves my video game review sits, for example, but make the comparison here: play someone else's work & review it vs think of soemthing witty/funny that fits in the number of captions/boxes youve allotted yourself, and draw it from scratch.

Some people spend days pullin it off. Characters must be creative yet somehow not fit into the already-established webcomic stereotype. Art must be good, but fitting. Jokes kinda havta fit your audience to an extent, and i imagine mini-series within em cant be easy. Can you keep your fictional characters interesting? Or, if its on you & friends, can you liven up their anecdotes to stay fresh? You see where im goin with this: Yahven & many others have often commented they'd love to do one, but it seems to take a lotta work.

Unfair as it is to say...there's a lot of em, a lot of em out there and some really do just suck. Too much hinging on sex, too many in-jokes. But some really shine...lets show off/ :D out our favorites, i know im not the only guy here who reads em.

mlink.gif

Penny Arcade - My personal favorite, as many of you've noticed

Test.gif

Our resident Silent Bob's opus to the world - youre a dick if youre not supportin this guy.

dtlink.gif

Dork Tower - This one's usually too dorky even for me, but many of the ancient gods are fans of it.

linkpvp.gif

Just picked this one up...seems pretty funny so far tho.

truenuff_marigras.gif

TrueNuff - Penny Arcade introduced me to this one today...it looks promising.

Take a look, you might enjoy em...I know Yahven, Morrigan & former board member Booboo used to be fond of some sex one or another, lets see if any of em find this thread to give it a mention (not fuckin likely)

Christ..is monty python's really a thread burial ground? Only Tussin, Spongey, Chief etc seem to come by...this thread really deserves more attention. Few more days and into general it goes; i know Yahven has somethin to say here.

I'm a bit of a late-comer to Drawing the Line but after checking out the archives, character profiles you've sold me on it. Love the pissed-off magic pencil one :approve:

Out of curiosity is it hand drawn and scanned or done with a computer package? What sort of computr packages do you use? Just curious.

It's hand-drawn and scanned. I'm horrible at drawing things on the computer, so I just sketch 'em, ink 'em, scan 'em and use Photoshop to get the flat colors. Heh, the Photoshop will be pretty obvious when I start using some of those really bad effects that Photoshop gives you.

Bob - i know its pricey, but Gabe (artist at Penny Arcade) speaks highly of recnet laptop/drawing pads that have really aided his work...beyond the $ part, you ever thought of lookin into one of them? Youd still be drawing but could aid it if/where you needed, might lighten your load.

Bob - i know its pricey, but Gabe (artist at Penny Arcade) speaks highly of recnet laptop/drawing pads that have really aided his work

Yeah, I've used those at school, but I'm bad with them, too. Dunno, just can't manage good work unless I can exactly what I'm drawing on the surface that I'm drawing it on. If they ever made something where you could draw directly on the screen...maybe.

Got some bad news MLB. My computer has been making this bad whirring sound recently, which does stop when I thump it (percussion maintenance) but is getting worrying. I suspect it's the fan, and if I leave the computer on too much it starts to crash a lot. In the short term this means I can't leave it on too long, so it won't run the proxy server, so you won't have your broadband in Nottingham. However, I hope to fix it if I work out what's wrong. Any you guys think you know what it could be? If it's the fan can I just buy a new power unit? If I do that, do I have to change anything on the motherboard or do I just plug the new one in? I can swap things in PCI slots fine, but never changed a PSU before.

Whirr whirr *thump thump thump*

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Yahve

The web comics are a great possible addon to th esite, some page that compiles the best of them much like our comic page. If i make it bigger itll never finish loading. Again mad props to our resident comic writer, who's work i DO read, i just cant comment much but....

ONE MORE DAY!!!! :D

As far as this forums slowass loading skin, well.... Its ultra fancy using Direct X blur crap bah basically a bug ridden thing of beauty, perfect for Monty Python. I'll keep an eye out for a more appropriate skin but come on, this behemoth is a perfect representation of what the Internet has to offer. Long live the Web cruisaders! me cankts spell to muc h math today grrrrr.

Avalon High and one who's name i can't remember..... CDC ? something about aliens... so well done arggg cant remember name.. fudge..

• 4 weeks later...