Hondo's Bar

Best feature length completely CGI movie

Reverend Jax

What is the best feature length completely CGI movie made yet?  

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Why did I combine Dinosaur and Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius? Because those two are the really stinkers of the bunch. I doubt that even with a hundred votes, that whould either of those whould get a single vote. Unfortuneately, I couldn't find a list of all the feature length completely CGI movies made to date, but I think I have them all, and if nothing else, I have the ones that count.

I suspect that Shrek is the only movie that could steal most of the votes from Pixar (though I do know people that absolutely loved Final Fantasy).

I'm definitely going with either Toy Story 2, Monster's Inc, Finding Nemo or Shrek. I'll vot eon this once I've settled this in my mind.

I've made up my mind. It wasn't easy but I went with Toy Story 2. It is a great human story. Even though the characters aren't human, their is more humanity in this movie than in 98% of the movies I've seen. A great sequel that didn't reharsh the story of the first, but used our familiarity with its characters and concet to create something truely greater than its predecessor. Truely, one of the greatest sequels ever made.

I wish there was a way to see the results without nulling your vote. In any case

I thought Shrek was the best CGI movie. Although I haven't seen toy stoy 2, dinosaur, Jimmy Neutron, Monstor's Inc, or Finding Nemo. Final Fantasy had the best CGI, with a decent story, Toy Story was alright, Antz was pretty funny, amd Ice Age was only ok. But the non-stop jokes and great character design for Shrek made this movie a classic above all the others. Dreamworks is very good at making a kid's movie that can have adult humor and at the same time be funny for kids.

Well Sephiroth, the votes are currently at one for Toy Story 2 and one for Final Fantasy. But as you can see in my first post, for me, it was between Toy Story 2, Monster's Inc, Finding Nemo or Shrek. You definitely have to see Toy Story 2, Monster's Inc and Finding Nemo before making a call on the best one. The only one of the 11 here I haven't seen is Jimmy Neutron, but even the lamest moment from Toy Story 2 was better than the "highlights" from that film featured in commercials.

Actually Jimmy Neutron wasn't that bad. Patrick Stewart's hilariously dramatic voice performance was enough to keep me watching when my little sisters popped it into the dvd player. I'm personally torn between the Pixar movies at the moment. I loved Shrek, but I don't think it holds a candle to, say, Monster's Inc. Shrek is very much a movie for our times, with a lot of in-jokes about pop culture that only our generation is going to get. It was very funny when it came out, and it's still very funny now, but in a few more years a lot of the material is going to seem rather dated (hell, the into with "Allstar" already seems dated). I think out of the two big cgi movies of that year, Monster's Inc will become the classic. Sooo, let's see. Toy Story, Toy Story 2, Monster's Inc, or Finding Nemo. Very tough choice (A Bug's Life was great, too, but I'm trying to narrow it down, here). You have to give the original Toy Story a lot of credit for being the first of its kind. Most first-of-its-kind movies suck when we're dealing with technological advances (case in point, Dinosaur was the movie that pioneered realistic fur textures later to be perfected in Monster's Inc). But, ok, great as it was, I think the second one was even better. So, Toy Story 2, Monster's Inc, or Finding Nemo. Dammit, I need to go watch 'em all again.

While I agree Shrek had more pop-culture trendy type humor than Monster's Inc, that was only the exterior. Underneath Shrek had some really great characters and themes. The karaoke at the end was a clever alternative to knocking off Pixar's idea of outtakes. In the end I voted for TS2, but Dreamworks has made some really great movies that give Pixar a run for their money (I liked Antz better than A Bug's Life, and Shrek was so good, I didn't mind it when it won the oscar over Monsters Inc). If Shrek 2 turns out as good or better then Shrek, I'll say we have two dyntasies duking it out for CGI king.

Well, I just realized...

I forgot the Veggie Tales movie in the poll. No doubt, no one was going to vote for it (except maybe Benny, if he ever looked anywhere but in Philosophy), but it frustrasts me because I was so sure I'd remembered them all.

Hey, Veggietales are funny, sometimes (I have little sisters, I've had to watch). There's nuthin' more ridiculously funny than a computer generated cucumber singing about how much he's in love with his own lips (of which he actually has none, by the way). Ah, good times, good times.

If you wanna be extremely technical, Dinosaur wasn't completely cgi. All the backgrounds were computer enhanced plates of live action footage. And there are two (and only two) shots in the movie that had no computer enhancement at all.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know who picked Final Fantasy, but I know who could have. He rarely posts on the threads, but it's one of my friend, Vic_Rpg's favorite movies (tied with Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon adn Moulin Rogue). He definitley could have done that. And on some level I understand. If you much prefer sci-fi, fantasy and drama to comedy, then Final Fantasy is a great movie, maybe even the best of this bunch.

• 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yeah those shots look fantastic, I can't wait to see more of it. Props to the filmmakers for finally realizing the obvious and making a Dr. Seuss movie animated. A little worried about Jim Carrey, though. I recall Horton being kinda the unassuming straight man (elephant) of the story, and that's something Carrey's proven himself pretty incapable of.

Archived