Hondo's Bar

Best movie of the summer

What do you think is going to be the best movie of the summer?  

6 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There's still some others I couldn't mention because of limits on the polls. Others would include:

2 Fast 2 Furious

League of Extaordinary Gentleman

(ugh) Legally Blonde 2

Dumb and Dumberer

Seabiscuit

There's not much hype on Seabiscuit but it has Tobey Maguire starring in a true story of former bicycle repairman, Charles Howard (Bridges), who made his fortune introducing the automobile to the American West, and who owned a small, knobbly-kneed horse called Seabiscuite.Howard teamed up with a half-blind ex-boxing prize fighter, Red Pollard (Maguire), who became the horse's jockey and a former "mustang breaker". It seems a bit intresting.

I think Matrix Reloaded is going to be the best movie this summer. All the other ones would just be kind of fun to watch. Some movies that would definitely be intresting would be Pirates of the Carribean and Bad Boys 2. Terminator 3 seems way over due, and Tomb Raider looks pretty cool. Dreamworks seems like they did a good job with Sinbad, rivaling the popular movie Finding Nemo.

Finding Nemo, without a doubt. I had fun with the Matrix, X-men, and Hulk. They did crazy action with enough fun in between it to keep me interested, but Finding Nemo had me hooked and absorbed in absolutely every frame and line of dialogue. It one one of the funniest, creative and most touching movies I've seen in a good while. Oh, and Seabiscuit sounds stupid, but I have high hopes for it, it's by Gary Ross, the directer of Pleasantville, Big, and Dave. This guy makes a career out of getting premises that sound retarded and making them really good, so this oen is following the formula so far. Heard the book was good too, and the cast is gold. Pirates of the Caribean looks really fun too. The only movie I'm positively hyped for though is Kill Bill. I'm just dying to see what tarantino is gonna do with his very own kung fu flick.

it's by Gary Ross, the directer of Pleasantville, Big, and Dave.  This guy makes a career out of getting premises that sound retarded and making them really good, so this oen is following the formula so far.

That's true, Pleasantville, Dave and Big all have stupid premises that worked. I'll see Seabusciut if it gets good reviews and word of mouth, but otherwise, I've got to keep my money-slamming-down-on-the-table hand under control.

Here's my take on the movies mentioned above.

X-men 2 : Suberb, nearly flawlessly does what it sets out to do.

Matrix Reloaded: Pretty good, but I'm less excited about it than I was after I saw it.

Hulk: Ugh, disappointment...

Charlie's Angels:Full Throttle: Haven't seen it, looks like fun-filled crap

Pirates of the Carribean: Looks decent, and when has Johnny Depp ever let me down before?

Terminator 3: I'm skeptical of a Terminator movie sans Linda Hamilton and Edward Furlong, but I'm keeping any open mind.

Finding Nemo: This here's my pick for best movie of the summer. Junker voted for it too and I'm willing to bet Silent Bob will too. I'm calling this race. Finding Nemo wins.

Bad Boys 2: Looks like more of the same, not a bad thing.

Tomb Raider: Looks like more of the smae, is a bad thing.

Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Stars: I actually looks pretty good, and when has Brad Pitt ever let me down before?

2 Fast 2 Furious: Looked like crap, so I didn't bother.

League of Extaordinary Gentleman: This seems like really wild card. No call.

Legally Blonde 2: The first one was kinda cute, but a sequel to it is the stupid idea I've heard since Dumb And Dumberer

Dumb and Dumberer: The stupidest thing I've heard since Scooby Doo 2.

Seabiscuit: Possible Oscar gold, possible sappy crap. We'll see. Gary Ross can work miracles.

Kill Bill: I've been so thristy for some new Tartantino that this could suck and I might still love it.

And just so you all know, 4 movies this summer have broken $200 million. Here they are (title, total gross as of this last weekend, gross this last weekend, weeks in theaters).

The Matrix Reloaded $269M $2.6M 7

Finding Nemo $254M $14M 5

Bruce Almighty $221.3M $6.2M 6

X2: X-Men United $211.3M $0.9M 9

Basically, I'm betting that in two weeks, Findign Nemo will overtake The Matrix Reloaded and not be overtaken this summer.

Basically, Finding Nemo has no competition right now. It's competing with other movies, sure, but it's the only family movie, it's the only animated movie, it's the only movie with clean wholesome fun. It's the only movie for little kids and adult looking for non-action-packed wholesome humorous fun. Sinbad is coming out tomorrow, so it's be competing with that, but Finding Nemo has a ways to go before it starts losing steam.

Hehehehe....guilty as charged.

What can I say, it's the summer and I want a throw away piece of crud movie. Yeah "Charlie's Angels" was bubblegum for the brain, but hell it was entertaining. An hour and a half of beautiful women, big explosions, George McFly and Bill Murray. So take away Bill and there's the sequel.

In all honestly I shoulda went for "Finding Nemo" but I guess it's too late now to forget my smile....

Either that or Battle Royale 2. Sure, I havn't seen it but I'm banking on it to be a guddin. Doubt it'll go stateside though, what with all the 9-11 shit...

In all honestly I shoulda went for "Finding Nemo" but I guess it's too late now to forget my smile....

Whoa, this is a first. 2Track likes a good movie. Now if he ever actually disses a bad movie, all precedents will be broken and the world will go topsy turvy!

The only problem I have with LXG is that the trailers and commercials don't ever mention that the characters are the villains from literature. That's the part that's so cool about the story, and they don't mention it. Do they think movie-goers won't be interested if it has something to do with books? God forbid. C'mon, people! That's Dr. Jekyll! That's the Invisible Man! That's the brother of Sherlock Holmes! Captain Nemo! A grown-up Tom Sawyer! Why don't they tell us that?

My guess? League's a lil sophisticated to be considered a "comic superhero movie" but that's where the money & big crowds are at, so if the trailer "dumbs it down a bit"...that might be a good idea. Gotta admit, more people are gonna be up for Spider-Man than they are for a story of time-travelling and heroes of English literature. Far as im concerned, put Connery out there and just have him say "Look..its not the Avengers, people. I'm shtill shorry about that one."

Heh...thanks.  For some reason, to this day, anytime im opening an umbrella, i feel inclined to say "Rain or shine...alwaysh mine."

And remember the scene where all the bad guys are dressed in giant teddy bear suits? Classic!

And US, have you see LXG, yet?

Well, so weekend updates. I haven't seen any of the three movies that opened on Wednesday (the 2nd), but as expected, T3 got the #1 spot, with a meger $44 first weekend. LB2 got about 23$ and #2. Sadly, Sinbad got only $6.8, opening at #6, behind Charlie's Angels, Finding Nemo and The Hulk. Opening at #6 is box office murder. Ouch.

As for Finding Nemo, my prediction was wrong. I thought it would take two weekends, and it only took one. Finding Nemo, with $274.9M, passed The Matrix Reloaded, with $271.9M, this 4th of July weekend.

Finding Nemo has dropped to the number 4 spot (it went #1, #2, #1, #2, #3 and now #4). I think it could go up to #3 again next week, or maybe stay at number 4. My bet is that Charlie's Angels and LB2 will drop below Finging Nemo next week, but T3's likely to stay above it for at least another week. Big openings next week: LXG and Pirates of the Caribbean.

Archived