Hondo's Bar

Pirates of the Caribbean

Hah. Finally I get in first with a review. Eat that, ye swabs!......erm, sorry. 'S still with me. But really, Finding Nemo aside, Pirates is the most fun you'll have in a theatre this summer. Ah hell, I guess you could see any movie that has Geoffrey Rush in it, huh? This movie has everything you've ever loved about classic pirate movies - swashbuckling, rope swinging, cannon firing, talking parrots, timber shivering, and yes even a pet monkey. But wait, Cutthroat Island had all that, too, didn't it? What makes this one so different? The acting, of course! And there was a lot of it. Sure, it wasn't all stellar. Orlando Bloom is simply adequate as the square-jawed, straight-arrow hero, and that Natalie Portman/Winona Ryder lookalike whose name I can't remember is barely memorable as the damsel-in-distress/undress (who in typical 90s fashion is actually able to kick a little pirate ass herself). But then there are our pirate leads. Firstly, there's Geoffrey Rush. He's the pirate you've always remembered. The one with the big floppy hat, big floppy beard, goofy accent. The one who actually, literally does say "Arrrr!" and makes people walk the plank. And he loves every minute of it. And then there's Johnny Depp. If Geoffrey Rush's "Captain Barbossa" is the classic pirate you've always loved, then Depp's "Jack Sparrow" is a breed of pirate you've never seen before. Grinning and swaggering, and in what appears to be a perpetual state of intoxication, Sparrow is one of the best examples of genius Johnny Depp character developing - and there are a lot of good examples of that. There's so much lunacy in his character that under any actor he would be completely unbelievable. But we believe it because Depp believes it. Not once does his mask slip, not once does he turn to the camera and wink and let us know that he's just acting. Depp is Jack Sparrow, and neither the camera nor the audience can get enough of his...well...unhinged wackiness. On top of that, there's great fight scenes, a wonderful adventure-movie score, the downright creepy directing of Gore Verbinski, plenty of shots of whatsername's cleavage...and oh yeah, the pirates turn into skeletons in the moonlight. So does the monkey. Which leads me into how good the visual effects were. And yeah, they were good. Not only are these cg walking skeleton's realistic as hell, but just wait until the end when you see swordfights where the actors dance around between rays of moonlight. It's incredible to watch Geoffrey Rush turn into a skeleton, and back into himself seamlessly, in the same shot. Breathtaking, really. So forget Charlie's Angels, screw The Hulk, fuck LXG, Pirates of the Caribbean is the best movie this summer since that other Disney ocean-traversing movie. Yo ho.

Yes, Depp is worth the price of the admission.

And besides his loverly acting, he's so pretty. Honestly, I have a hard time deciding who I was drooling over more: johnny, orlando, or cleavage girl.

But I agree. Loved it. Had free passes, but I definitely would have paid to see it.

(Side note, CNN just showed a polar bear turned completely purple by its skin medicine. hmm.)

Anyway,

So forget Charlie's Angels, screw The Hulk, fuck LXG,

You mean:

fuck Charlie's Angels (cause despite the movie, they're all delectable, especially Miss Drew.)

forget the Hulk (if you're lucky)

screw LXG (well, at least Peta Wilson's character)

Sorry to dwell on screwability, but can you help it when marketing focuses on so much skin and ass?

ANyway, I would make more sophisticated critical comments, but Bob said a lot, and quite nicely if i say so myself.

Great movie, powerful cast, and exquistie effects.

Go see it. Now.

:approve:

Anyway,
So forget Charlie's Angels, screw The Hulk, fuck LXG,

You mean:

fuck Charlie's Angels (cause despite the movie, they're all delectable, especially Miss Drew.)

forget the Hulk (if you're lucky)

screw LXG (well, at least Peta Wilson's character)

Mm, good point. And I was aware of that when I wrote it, but my girlfriend was standing over my shoulder at the time.

Saw it on Friday. Great entertainment. As always, Johnny Depp delivers. He could have made Godzilla or Speed 2 enjoyable if he were in those movies. Jack Sparrow was just a great character with a hilariouly drunken attitude towards everything. Sort of embodying the spirit of this board. His physical acting was great too. Best movie thi summer after Finding Nemo, The Matrix Reloaded and X-Men 2 (I still haven't seen T3).

Archived