Hondo's Bar

The Last Samurai

The NZA

Hey, i was made aware of this one from SB's awesome "Rumors for the Future" thread, as i recall, and outside of a short trailer a while back, handt seen/heard much on it - anyone know details, beyond Cruise's presense? Release date, plot synopsis, etc? Yeah, yeah this is basically a "please go to IMDB.com for me" thread but i also thought itd be cool to throw around ideas on it here, and reviews once its out...

Apple has the full trailer yet, lemme know what you think..

Um, yeah, this one looks real cool. I'm not hyped about this like I am for Kill Bill or the next matrix or anything, but it looks pretty cool, and all the buzz around it so far is nuthing but good. It's got a pretty good directer, did "The Seige" "Courage Under Fire" and "Legends of the fall." Only criticism I've heard of this one is flamers on the wbe with their "waaa, I dont like tom cruise, he cant do action" bullshit. I really dont think you can rag on Cruise too much, he's worked with fuckin Oliver Stone, Speilberg, PT Anderson, John Woo, Cameron Crowe, and done great in every one of their movies. And if he can do all his own stunts in MI2 (which he did), then he can sure as fuck swing a sword around.

True dat. This one looks badass. To answer your question IC, it comes out Dec 5. The basic story is that Tom Cruise plays a Civil War vetern who is hired by the Japanese government to teach the Japanese army how to use rifles, cannon and other Western methods of war, so the government can hunt down and erradicate the Samurai, so the government can rule unchallenged by them. But...well, you know how it goes. Tom learns about the Samurai and their ways, is taken back by their honor, and joins with them to fight agains the government.

Sounds good to me!

I'd been down for it. Cruise is looking for at least an oscar nom with this one. The guy has never been nominateed, not once, not even for a supporting role (though I can't remember his last supporting role...). I think all the proof that you need that the academy hates Cruise is how Vanilla Sky was completely ignored. That movie so deserved oscar recognition. This movie could be it for him.

When I first saw the trailer to this movie while watching either the Matrix 2 or T3, I didn't know what to make of it. All I realized was that Cruise was trying to play the role of some samurai. I couldn't make a damn plot out of it, and the only thing that I found interesting was the background music, which had some bad-ass drums. Now that the plot has been revealed...it sounds somewhat interesting.

I'd been down for it. Cruise is looking for at least an oscar nom with this one. The guy has never been nominateed, not once, not even for a supporting role (though I can't remember his last supporting role...).

Actually he's gotten Best Actor noms for both Born on the Fourth of July and Jerry Maguire, and a Supporting Actor nom for Magnolia. He's yet to win, though.

An' anyone out there who says Tom Cruise can't do action doesn't know what they're talking about. Action is what he's best at. I think it's drama where he sometimes has trouble.

But with him onboard, a fairly interesting story (and the fact that there haven't been any wide release movies with samurai since....god, I dunno when. Ninja Turtles 3, probably, and that's pretty pathetic) and a decent director. Edward Zwick peaked at Glory, if you ask me, and he's been going slightly downhill from there. Legends of the Fall was pretty good. Courage Under Fire wasn't bad. The Siege was uneven at best. This could be another shot at...well...Glory, for him.

See, I enjoyed The Siege, m'self. As for samurai flicks, Id say Ghost Dog was the last one. It had Whitaker, RZA music & the hagakure in it, so i dug it, but it coulda been a lot more overall. Anyway, yeah, not many samurai flicks these days, so again, im hyped, and the plot sounds cool.

Eh, The Siege spent three quarters of its running time on the less interesting aspects of the story (more Arab terrorists in movies! yawn) and only a quarter on the actual interesting idea of martial law and the suspension of the constitution in times of crisis. The acting, the directing, the writing - was all good, I just think it woulda been better if they had structured the story differently. Coulda been a lot more.

• 1 month later...

Mebbe so...Denzel up against Bruce had me goin tho. But about Last Samurai:

For those interested & in the miami area, FIU's offerin a sneek preview! Tickets might still be left at GC 340, show your student ID to get free passes to the Regal down the way, free! I believe the showing is 7pm or so....If Chi-chan can find my tickets, im there, & rather hyped bout it. :D

Ok, more detailed review forthcoming, but...this is easily one of my favorites of the year. I've a strong affinity for the subject material, but nonetheless, i havent felt a movie on some of these levels since Braveheart - understand im not all-out comparing the two, its a perception thing, for me.

I'd love to see it again. Phenomenal movie, i'm very happy to have seen it.

PS Here's the official site, with great backgrounds, skins, icons etc for those who've seen it

samurai_2_800.jpg

I've seen it twice now, and I gotta say this movie is just phenominal. I went to see it the first time wiht my sister, my mom and my friend Victor. In this group you have a huge range of tastes, often opposite to each other, but we all loved it. My vote: Best historical war movie since Braveheart (it need to stand the test of time before I say it's better). Go see this movie.

The movie was really cool!! :D Most of Japanese actors/actresses are very famous in Japan and all them are pretty talented. Specially Katsumoto (KEN WATANABE) was awesome. I heard of a rumor that he might be nominated the oscar as supporting actor. I hope the rumor will come true. :D

Jesus yeah...Chi-chan's right, even the japanese actors were great. Reminded me of classic Kurosawa at points (comedy, excellent battles, a guy that sounds like Toshiro Mifune), a well-balanced and excellent tale overall, which im dyin to see again. Cruise really deserves more credit than i give him.

Visually, its also a very beautfiul movie, as well. Im thinking of grabbing the musical score online, for one. There's just..there's not a lot i can fault here; again, im not doin an all-out review because im mad biased by its subject material and i wont be objective here, but yeah, obviously, i loved it. :D

Archived