Hondo's Bar

The Village

Okay, so SuperEeyore and another friend dragged me to go see this...Hmmm...wasn't what I expected, but then again, I had never seen an M. Night Shamalyn (sp?) film, so I shouldn't have expected anything...

Might go see it again, maybe it gets better after a second viewing...

Wow, i wasnt expecting to hear such mediocre reviews, from critics & board members both...im still kinda hyped tho. Shamalekamekahilekahideyho isnt known for blood & gore, his stuff's pretty subtle overall i think. Junker's pointed out how he takes the simplest themes for his movies: ghosts, superheroes, aliens, etc.

Ill post back after i see it next week.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought it was a fairly alright film. Although I find that with his films since the Sixth Sense you go in expecting a twist so you can never entirely let yourself be engulfed by the film.

But the acting on Bryce Howard and William Hurt was top drawer. Nice ending too if only a tad predictable

Yeah, I thought it was pretty good too. Most people hated it cause it was predictable. And yes, the end twist was blatantly obvious to me from like the second scene of the movie. But I got over that and just tried to pay attention to the characters. The acting was top notch, the period dialogue could have been really boring, but the actors really gave it life. It was just generally a decent flick, had some brilliant scenes. It definatly was Night's worst movie so far though (well, since he made the sixth sense, he had a couple failures before that). The predictability did hurt it, but I dont think it ruined it.

Wow, really? Im slow on the uptake there i guess....i generally try to not pull a Jumbie & decipher it, just see where its going....i suspected the twist, but things kept coming up to have me think otherwise, so i guess i enjoyed it more becaue i was prettty surprised when...dammit, we need spoiler tags.

Yeah, we really do need spoiler tags. Well that's true, basically what kept me interested was that even tho I figured it out really early on, the movie spend a lot of it's duration trying to prove me wrong, and I kept wondering how they'd explain certain things later on.

i saw this movie yesterday.

i suspected that something was up, as a, uh, cunning linguist, i know that period dialogue is not *that* stilted. very artificial.

i've actually read a book with a sort-of-similar-not-really thing... as far as a period town, isolated, but really in modern times. hmm.

a bunch of other things piqued my defy-sense, but yeah. i still enjoyed the time it passed, and i really loved the violin. while i'm sort of aurally sensitive and the music was loud, the musical content itself was lovely.

his twists have never really 'floored' me, that belongs to 'what lies beneath.' ah i luv that.

i just wish they would've said which elder dismembered all the animales.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived