Hondo's Bar

Road to Perdition

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, horsey jokes, how funny!

In all honesty tho, yeah if i heard plot details like KOS' i mighta been more interested. I ended up reading the book, and yeah i can see how it's heavily influenced by Lone Wolf & Cub (Kozie's even quoted in the intro). Was a good story, and i recall Junker saying it was similar in the movie, just less action to it. It looks like he might be right bout me havin shouldve seen it, ill get back when its on DVD or find a theatre out this way playin it.

Eh, I don't like tossing out plot details, I'm the kind of person who likes to have no idea what he's gonna watch sometimes. Anyway, I wasn't tryin to ocnvince him to see it, he was gonna see it on video either way, was tryin to say he should see it on the big screen, cause this movie is very much intended to be experienced in such an environment. I have the book, really liked it, but yeah, the movie is fairly different, much darker, more somber mood. Hope it has a really cool DVD.

Dunno where you buy your dvds, JMT, but where I get 'em, most two-disc movies aren't any more expensive. Unless it's some super-improved-never-before-scene-director's-cut-in-a-special-3D-box, or somethin'...ala T2 (though that two-disc movie was well worth it). But it seems to me that normal two-discers are relatively the same price. I got Monster's Inc. for 15 bucks, and there were two discs in that.

And, no, Hook wasn't THAT bad...

Yeah, I know, but that's because they ship 2-disc editions in bulk quantities, but they still make the vendor pay more for them, so I guess I don't know why I should be upset about it. Anyway, got the LOTR 4 disc set for $25.99 with free shipping preordered. That's pretty good, if the features constitute that many discs.

Fine, Batman & Robin 2-disc special edition. I think we can all agree on that!

• 5 months later...

Christ, three pages of defending Hook and "watch this movie, bitch!"

Finally did. Was really good, a strong comic movie that didnt feel like a comic movie to me at all.

Visuals were stunning (you heard) as Junker said, it was a really purdy movie. Didnt realize Thomas Newman did the soundtrack, fuck he's good. There are scenes where they let his music create the ambience, and it really shines (*minor spoiler like the tommy gun scene in the streets with Newman...that was kinda lyrical, really pretty for an execution).

Hanks, Law, and Newman all did rather well. Dont know who the kid is, but he wanst bad either. Even here the Lone Wolf & Cub influences can be felt, and Junker was right about the book: its a lot more action-oriented than the flick, which again does far more with its visuals.

Other changes from the book also really worked out...*Minor spoiler if you inted to tread the aw fuck it

Basically, Newman's character sets out the hit on Hanks along with Connor if i recall, could be wrong. Point is, there's a scene in the film where Hanks confronts Newman one last time before the alleyway one i mentioned earlier, and Hanks goes on about how he's sorry, but none of them are going to heaven, and he cant just offer up his son of course...was a powerful one i thought, well-done and i was really glad it was there. Of the cutscenes on the DVD, there's one (the washing hands one) i wouldve left in there as well but otherwise, this thing was well edited too. Characterization was good for its pace, you actually cared about these 2.

Overall, very good movie, if i sees it cheap ill pick it up. Things i said to Junker & Jax about "go fuck yourself with a baseball bat, fat end first" etc i take back; you were right, it was really good, i rather enjoyed it. Junker's farily good at recognizing wht kinda flicks i go for & making good calls.

Look...

The man was the mafia's Top hitman, their "Angel of death" so to speak. If that man couldn't control the flow of a tommy gun within inches of what he was aiming at the man would have been knocked off long ago by a rival mob.

So there.

:sly:

Right, and how many tommy guns have you handed again?

Exactly...

Heck in MOHAA you said the bazooka was almost impossible to aim because it flew really wild after leaving the tube. Yet on omaha beach I nailed the german bunker a few hundred yards up the beach from the landing craft dead on. Skill can compensate for inaccurate weapons.

:D

Yes TD... But I am talking about a real life gun, not a bazooka in a video game... I have fired a inaccurate gun and they are not always inaccurate the same way... Some times they go left, some times right. Sometimes then even pull up or fall short.... Tommy gun is the same thing...

How many guns have you fired TD???

.22 rifle is all I've had the opportunity. Pain in the ass on a windy day lemme tell ya.

But in any case the Tommy used in the movie was a longbarrel the only innacuracy comes from the .45 cal ammo thats cannonlike in its recoil. With a double handed grip and a strong arm thats used to the gun its very possible to make those shots. Specailly within 50 yards like the situation was, 50 yards is default on the open battle sight. Also keep in mid that they aren't strictly shot from the hip, an aimed shot can be accurate if you knwo what your doing.

My point was that with enough familiarity with a weapon you can pull a better than average accuracy and compensate for any shortcomings.

Becasue Dick Tracy was just a better man... :D

The .22 isn't the most accurate gun is it TD? I know I have one... Though have only fired it 3 times but anyways... When you were firing it was the bullet going in the same way each time?? NO. wind, distance, the kick of the gun all play a part in the accurace in the gun.... It you get a big kick then it could trow your aim way off.