Hondo's Bar

Rescue Me

The NZA

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I wanna say seasons were usually 12 episodes prior to last season. I'm just sayin' if ratings actually went UP you'd think FX would want more episodes and not less for the last two years. Then again, maybe they're doing it this way and stretching out seasons just to end the show on the 10th aniv. of 9/11. Which is apropos since it's the basis for the series

• 1 year later...

I just finished watching the final season. All in all, it was rather good save for the finale. The wedding episode was hilarious, and the 9/11 remembrance episode(s)had speeches that were touching and poignant without being exploitative or saccharine. I think this season showed how Tommy has broken his cycle of destructive alcoholism, and he's truly grown over the course of 7 seasons.

However, as a whole, I'm not that sad to see the series end. Seasons 1 & 2 were probably some of the best and original TV I've seen, and it did hold up (mostly) adequately throughout the following seasons, but the series suffered from a lot of repetitiveness (Tommy cheats, someone he loves dies, he falls off the wagon, reconciles, repeat).

As for the series finale...

I hated to see Lou go like that. He never really got to redeem himself, but I guess that's true to his character. The whole baby delivery was ridiculously anti-climactic. Lt. Franco was a nice touch and Garrity getting engaged to a hot farter was hilarious. But tlike I wrote earlier, the epsiode just lacked any real heft--it ended w/ this disappointing "mehness" to it. I mean, Tommy's retirement was such a big deal for his wife all season long and then after one park incident w/ some delusional, liberal jerkoffs just immediately erases it all for her? Again, meh. Also, a few things were left unexplained: Sid's lapses in memory, Sheliea & Mickey's relationship, Tommy seeing dead people.Not big deals, but just further evidence the finale wasn't what it could've or should've been.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

• 1 year later...

Eh. You've got people just as bad, if not worse, as Janet in the same series: Sheila, Tommy's oldest Daughter, Tommy's sister...Tommy.

You're not wrong, but you're totally wrong. I will agree that Sheila is at least within the neighborhood of Janet at least on catty horribleness and Coleen... Jesus Christ. Here's the thing though, if season 1 had involved Tommy saying fuck it and pulling up stakes and moving to LA, they would have had a hard time coming up with ways for him to destroy himself because his entire fucking family isn't there to hand him a hammer and say... "go for it!"

This was one thing I noticed throughout the series is though every bad thing that happens is blamed on Tommy, very little of it is actually his fault and a lot of it is in fact Janet's fault. Every time he gets something going for him she's the one that tells him something or causes something that causes him to go back on a spiral, admittedly she's not the worst one but she is the most persistently hypocritical one. Sure his uncle and his cousin are pieces of shit too, but at least they ostensibly mean well. Janet is a leech on Tommy almost the entire series and then treats him like shit about it, if she had just one ounce of understanding or compassion about her then I would not so easily side against her but even when she's being nice to him she just pulls him back down to where he was.

You look at the few times he's taken a look at his life, taken a step back, found some nice woman outside of his offensively Irish family and even if it was Sheila that fucked it up, it was through some thing that Janet set in motion. She is like a black hole sucking everything good and joyous out of the show's world. She goes on about how Tommy's a piece of shit father yet all the times he's away from her, other than being neglectful he seems to do okay with them and they seem to bear him no ill will. I think the episode where they go to the younger daughter's boarding school thingy and Tommy just acts like himself and everything goes good until Janet fucks it up catastrophically exemplifies their relationship perfectly. Tommy's a crass fuck-up that manages to stumble around half-competently through life, Janet is the source of all that is impure and evil.