Hondo's Bar

Silent Hill 4

The NZA

71_top02.jpg

71_top03.jpg

71_top04.jpg

71_top05.jpg

I love this series, and personally, i thought part 3 was the strongest chapter thus far, as it tied up the loose ends of part 1.

This whole "Room" idea of claustrophobia/sanctuary and such has me hyped...now the game's out, and i havent got a chance to play it yet. :D

...has anyone here? Its it longer (3 was like 8 hours, but again, great)? Good plot, unnerving shit? How's the new engine? No radio, no pausing to change weapons, a life meter....pretty different. Oh, and something about pinning ghosts down with daggers...anyway, talk!

Cj and I kinda uh, can't rent at Blockbuster anymore (heh) and Hollywood Video are such lazy poop farts! so who knows when we'll get to play it.

Cj was thinking of buying it from gamestop and then returning it within like a week or two b/c they have a policey that for any new(er) games you sale to them, they will give you most of your money back, or something... He's gonna look more into it though b/c he definately wants it haha

DUDE! Hollywood Video finally got it in, and Cj beat it within 7 hours. We kinda uh, got the walkthrough from Gamefaqs.com though. But man I thought it was scary as fuck! What do you think so far about it?? (He played, I watched and read the Walkthrough haha. But it was totally bonding and I loved it)

Hmm...im at the part with the big ass building, and some neighbor's there with a gun...there's too many ape-men here, dammit! One hit with me a fuckin golf club!!

These ghosts are annoyin as piss too....not as scary as previous chapters so far, but its had its moments...im lookin forward to seein how it works out. Man, theyre dropping mad names from parts 1 & 2!

"i thought part 3 was the strongest chapter thus far, "

Your kidding me? I liked Silent Hill 3 but i thought that they layed on to much, gore and wierd shit. The result was less errie and just plain gross.

Original Silent Hill, it's the daddy.

I cant fault any of em...1 was an amazing introduction to the series. I didnt get the endings until i put em all together, but the experience was really memorable.

2 I played the crap out of, and it had all kinds of new scary shit. Endings let me down a wee bit, but it was great.

3 gets slept on too much...i really like how it tried to tie up events from part 1, you know? Yeah, there was gore, and it certainly got weird, but aside from being shorter than part 2 (i thought), i coudlnt fault it, really enjoyed it.

This one...i guess im almost halfway through. Im enjoying it, but the ghosts are really annoying, and im hopin itll deliver a bit more by its end.

Speaking of Silent Hill, i found this website (www.silentscape.tk ) where some guy has made his own Silent Hill 1 PC conversion.

It's basicly The Playstation Game with a built in emulator, but without the course PS edges and with some nifty options to tweak the textures making the whole thing look quite smooth.

On the downside, loosing the rough edge might actually take away some of Silent Hills appeal, but if you've allready played the Play Station version than it's an interesting way to revisit the game.

The file is around 400 MB and it's only available as a bit torrent so it might take a few hours to download.

• 3 weeks later...

I just finished The Room. I can honestly say that the story is as good as any of the series, but the game design leaves a lot to be desired. The combat system was the worst of the series, you're stuck with it's awful autoaim, for example, you are trying to hit the evil baby creature next to you before it lashes out, you hit the dog on the ground that was probably dead anyway. Say what you want about the action in the other games, at least you could choose what you hit. Aside from that even on Hard the combat was too easy. Theres one room where you have to kill around a dozen double heads which can be finished off in little under two minutes.

One of the biggest complaints about the room is the fact that you have to play through most of the levels twice, not a nightmare version of the areas in classic silent hill style, but just the same areas again with slightly different objectives.

But I could gripe all day about it, and there was a lot of good stuff in it, the story was excellent, finding the secret room in your apartment was a classic moment. I'm also releived that I got the "21 Sacrements" ending. Absoloutly pessimistic.

My what a bundle of joy I am.

Hey, congrats Jont! Im about...halfway. I havent revisited the old levels yet (yeah, thet does sound kinda weak, since youre sayin theyll be the same, and non-hellish like the old games), but the plot really has me goin on this one, i cant wait to see how it turns out, and if any of my damn neighbors will survive.

Just got through the apartments, onto the hospital, a familiar setting....hey, there's a nurse who's limping and swinging something at me, that's nostalgic.

i'm kind of in between: i like having money, but not so much working. id rather be playing silent hill, or at least finishing it.

Jont, anyone that's played: are there a finite number of things trying to take over my goddamn apartment? do i need every holy candle or wha? It seems like every time i come back, some shit's going down, and i dont wanna run outta these candles cause im told the ending's affected by how clean the place is.

Halfway through the second time in the forest, cant be much further now....

• 2 weeks later...
I just finished The Room. I can honestly say that the story is as good as any of the series, but the game design leaves a lot to be desired. The combat system was the worst of the series, you're stuck with it's awful autoaim, for example, you are trying to hit the evil baby creature next to you before it lashes out, you hit the dog on the ground that was probably dead anyway. Say what you want about the action in the other games, at least you could choose what you hit. Aside from that even on Hard the combat was too easy. Theres one room where you have to kill around a dozen double heads which can be finished off in little under two minutes.

One of the biggest complaints about the room is the fact that you have to play through most of the levels twice, not a nightmare version of the areas in classic silent hill style, but just the same areas again with slightly different objectives.

But I could gripe all day about it, and there was a lot of good stuff in it, the story was excellent, finding the secret room in your apartment was a classic moment. I'm also releived that I got the "21 Sacrements" ending. Absoloutly pessimistic.

My what a bundle of joy I am.

Ok, so early this morning (right before dawn - cant play this games in the light, its no fun) i finished up, and made sure to go back for a 2nd ending...all of Jont's overall coplaints are legit. Autoaim is ass (why are you facing a dead enemy? Theres like 2 attacking me and this dumb cunt im protecting....), and repeating levles is kinda weak, they couldve at least made em hellish, by tradition...

Got "21 sacrements" (holy shit, that did not end well), then "Escape", the best ending, and read about "Eileeen's death" and the other one, so that's all 4, with no joke ending for once...and yeah, the plot was solid, definetly had its moments (who the fuck was i talking to in that weird version of my apartment, upside-down?). Its also pretty cool when you figure out that in the very beggining of the game, youre playing as the previous resident for a few minutes...!

Took me 8 hours overall, few weeks of casual play, and i still side with part 3 cause im big on cumulative plot, and it tied up part 1. This one was by no means weak tho; the concept of sanctuary - espeically when its violated by the end, and shit's comin through the walls - was unique, and i wish idve seen the envelope pushed more. All the unnverving qualities of the series were here, along with cluastrophbia and the annoying task of protecting a @#$%in moron who doesnt always know how to run & leave shit alone when i do.

I always finish these things with so much extra health & ammo, i wish idve gone nuts more. Ah well....onto X-Men legends when i can get it, but again, great game, and im addicted to survival horror, if even to see how it turns out.

32310591_Silent%20Hill%204%20The%20Room_PS2_1_1024.jpg

510362506_Silent%20Hill%204%20The%20Room_PS2_3_1024.jpg

lookit that detail! boy, she sure didnt look like that by the end of my 1st game... :D

IC, Jont, or whoever.

One of my flatmates has a PS2 (myself being sans console) and I have found a place with a plethora of dirt-cheap 2nd hand PS2 games. I was thinking of picking up a Silent Hill game and wondered what you would recommend.

The main choice is obviously between Silent Hill 2 and 3 because 4 is too new and 1 is for the original Playstation. Bear in mind I've never played any of the Silent Hill games, in fact I'm pretty new to the survival horror genre.

I've looked at reviews and some prefer Silent Hill 2, others 3 so not sure. What do you reckon?

first off - props on the avatar/sig, tu's gonna die when she sees it.

Now, you know you can prollly get part 1 dirt cheap and play it on that guy's PS2 right? 2 is a great stand-alone game, but personally, i think itd be much better to go through part 1 before 3, as they connect. 1's graphics & such'll be outdated, but i still think its freaky, and you can turn that option on the PS2 to make things smoother as well.

Just a thought...but yeah if you want a stand-alone, 2 comes to mind as the goods, until 4 is cheaper.

Cheers for the tips IC and glad you like the new avatar and sig.

Picked up Silent Hill 2 today, mainly as a present to myself for getting through todays exam. Picked it up for $7 so not too bad. They wanted $25 for Silent Hill 1 which I thought wa sshocking. Will keep my eyes peeled for cheaper places though.

I get scared by Pac-man so not sure how smart todays purchase was but I'll let you know how I get on :D

• 1 year later...

hey, so, Senshik is toward the later part of Silent Hill 2, and wants to play 3 soon after, but anyone familiar with the series knows you really gotta play 1 before that. Only, with the movie coming up, coipes of 1 are harder to come by, and ebay wants $20+....didnt Jont link to a PC version a long time back? Or, does anyone here have a copy they can send me, and ill send it back to you in a wee bit? itd be awesme, lemme know people (mine was an old bootleg that dont work no more...)

My friend paid a lot for it but he got a true copy of SH1 with the strategy guide all in pristine condition. We've been playing 4 and I'd really like to know where that secret room is. We're at the second time around and it is becoming a pain in the ass of all asses. At the Forest 2 level....ugh fucking man in the coat...fucking girl next door...gets frustrating.

Archived