Hondo's Bar

X-Men Legends

The NZA

Alright, so my plan is to finsih up Silent Hill 4 & trade for the gamecube version of this one...i dont know how the multiplayer is, reviews are about 85% at most sites, and given that Wolverine's Revenge got like 60% and i loved it, this should be fun (Silent Bob, what'd you think?) I hope its worth it...i hear good things bout single player anyway.

Pics!

x-men-legends-20040916061412520.jpg

x-men-legends-20040916061415535.jpg

x-men-legends-detailed-impressions-20040902052856781.jpg

x-men-legends-20040820070039405.jpg

x-men-legends-20040820070041233.jpg

x-men-legends-20040820070046046.jpg

20040929l.jpg

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The rest of the characters are controlled by the CPU and they do a fairly decent job of fighting (though in tighter levels like the Weapon X lab they have the annoying habit of blocking doorways). You can switch to any of the four characters just by pressing one of the buttons on the directional pad. There's some slight strategy in which team members you choose - some powers are stronger against certain foes, some others are required to get past obstacles, and some just plain kick more ass than others. The roster to choose from is pretty nice and you unlock new ones along the way. When I rented it I had unlocked Wolverine, Cyclops, Beast, Jean Grey, Gambit. Jubilee, Nightcrawler, Storm, Rogue. Magma, Colossus, Emma Frost and Iceman (I may even have missed one or two). I even got to play as Professor X in an astral plane level. And there were two more mutants I hadn't unlocked yet.

Uh, when I played it I ran into...lesse...Mystique, Toad, Marrow, Blob, Juggernaut...there's a short battle between Cyclops and Havoc...Pyro's in it but I hadn't fought him yet. Of course, Magneto's in it. So's the...Shadow King, I think he's called? I'm sure you fight them both eventually. There are also plenty of levels that send lots of Sentinels after you. It's a pretty long game so I'm sure there are quite a few more that I haven't seen yet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have played it on the Xbox with 3 other people. It's cool when you have others with you to control the other characters because you can do combos and game is much easier and you level up faster. Now by yourself it's another story. The characters go into ditches they're not supposed to go into and then they die because of it. Then you have to go back to the nearest save point to pay money to bring they're dumb ases back to life! And the higher the level the more money it costs.

But it's cool because you can unlock outfits for all the characters like Jean gray's Phoenix form. ( it's really cute looking) I think my favorite character though would have to be storm only because she has a chain of lightning that hits all of the bad guys at once and then when she levels up she says "YES!! I FEEL LIKE A HURRICANE"

I think it's pretty cool!! Oh and the controls aren't so bad! ( I hate the xbox remote)

• 4 weeks later...

Man, this shit's cool....flashback missions to 70's costumes, fighting Sentinels in the streets! Im in the Morlock tunnels now, on Panch's PS2 copy - i gotta get Silent Hill 4 back from him & trade it up for the gamecube version of this one...anyone know if the loading time's any better there? Fuck, i hope so.

I get a lil lost in the melee sometimes, but im really enjoyin this. Constant fanboy name-dropping, too, even from hidden items!

• 4 weeks later...

Just got the gamecube version, thanks to traded xmas DVD's....cant wait to get into it. M'boy wolvy's gettin leveled up like mad soon.

When were moved, LL can totally be storm, jean grey or kitty pryde or whatever. Im dyin to see some 4-player madness.

• 1 month later...

I reckon the next should be an Avengers game running on the same engine. Do like aseries with (already) xmen, avengers, then do FF('cause you could tie-in all the affiliates you'd leave outta avengers like Namor, Shulky, hell. Who wants to be H.E.R.B.I.E?), and then like a marvel knight one which'd be differennt 'cause there would'nt really be massive common enemies, but hands up who wouldn't play an RPG with spidey, DD, Luke Cage, Punisher, Iron Fist an' all them in it? Once they eere REALLY desperate we could always see a defenders game... Seriouslythough, how utterly fucking cool would it be to level up as Cap and throw that sheild around...

I'm about 10 minutes shy of finsihing this game, and i agree with Skeet - the enginge is cool for Marvel RPG's, and id be down for seeing Avengers or other teams in this kinda setup.

They just announced X-Men Legends 2 for late '05/06, im already hyped. This game was a fanboy's dream.

but hands up who wouldn't play an RPG with spidey, DD, Luke Cage, Punisher, Iron Fist an' all them in it?

Hell, I just want any game with DD in it. They were working on a Daredevil game for the console systems, based on all the old Frank Miller books. Marvel even put ads for it in all their comics for a good six months or so. But it got axed in mid-development...dammit.

Yeah those screenshots that they put in the ads were pretty crappy for some reason. I saw video of the actual gameplay though and it wasn't bad. It looked like a darker, grittier version of the first Spider-man movie game. It was still pretty rough around the edges but if they had been allowed the months needed to finish it, it might've turned out pretty well.

You might be thinking of the gameboy game - which wasn't bad, actually. It used the movie costumes but nothing else from the movie (and had unlockable features where you could switch the characters back to classic costumes). The PS2 Daredevil footage that I saw didn't show the Kingpin, but both Elektra and Bullseye had their classic comic looks so I imagine the Kingpin did as well

So, its not comfirmed, but im hearin rumors of X-Men Legends 2 feartuing The Age of Apocalypse - even for just a danger room scenario, how cool would that shit be?!

After beating part 1, you unlock a lot of classic costumes, its even more fun fanboy shit...having the 70's Wolvy, Nightcrawler, Collosus and Storm in a lineup, its cool as fuck to see. Here's to more flashback missions....

• 5 months later...

woo hoo!

MARVEL/ACTIVISION EXTAND/EXPAND DEAL

Activision has announced an extension and expansion of its license with Marvel, and has added a license for a non-persistent role playing game that use characters from the Marvel Universe. “Non-persistent” separates and distinguishes the forthcoming games from Marvel’s recent deal with Microsoft to develop MMORPGs for the Xbox360 platform.

The deal also means that Activision alone will be producing RPG videogames based on Marvel properties, following up its lineup that includes X-Men Legends I & II and others, such as Fantastic Four. The agreement with Marvel covers both consoles and the PC.

The Santa Monica-based Activision is planning to release the first game in fiscal 2007, which begins in April of 2006. the tentative release date means the game will hit during the second wave of Xbox360 titles, and the initial run-up of PLaystation 3 games.

While the agreement does claim it allows for use of the bulk of the Marvel Universe, The Punisher is still licensed to THQ, while Vivendi-Universal holds the rights to the Hulk for use in videogames. That said, the extension and expansion of the agreement could easily be seen as a recent trend by Marvel to work to consolidate licenses under the purview of proven licensing partners, as the solidification of the deal gives Activision a very large chunk of Marvel’s videogame action.

"We are proud of the success we have had with games based on the Marvel licenses," stated Ron Doornink, Chairman, Activision Publishing, Inc. in a release on Friday. "This agreement further strenghthens and helps to solidify our position as the number one publisher of Super Hero games."

Ames Kirshen, Vice President of Interactive at Marvel Enterprises said in the same release, "We have had tremendous success with Activision through the licensing of individual characters and groups such as Spider-Man, X-Men and Fantastic Four. Rather than focusing on just one character, this unique license enables Activision to develop role playing games that tap a broader base of characters from Marvel's expansive universe. We look forward to an even more successful future with Activision."

Fury was in it? fuck...i still gotta play that game, howd it finally turn out again...?

still sad the DD game didnt happen. But yeah, while i dont know how this RPG enginge'd work for solo charcters, teams like the Avengers (much less the New ones) would be badass....sidequests of the House of M and all, man that'd be cool.

Archived