Hondo's Bar

The Incredibles

Reverend Jax

• 4 weeks later...

I went to see this one with Aarty the Monday before it came out. (comp tickets rock) While we were waiting for the movie to start I won us the CD from the movie, her brother in law won a T-shirt, and my ex (who was there by total coincedence) gave Aarty a water bottle from some radio channel there...w/e.

We thought that the movie was great it is definitely more for adults than children. It was funny and had a lot of jokes to it. I dont want to spoil the movie for you guys but I can honestly say I highly enjoyed it, and I will be seeing it again and definitely buying it for my collection.

Saw it on Saturday. Great movie, truly. I don't think I can say it was Pixar's best. To be honest, it didn't even feel like a Pixar film to me, it felt like a Brad Bird film (for obvious reasons). I had trouble comparing. It really was a great movie. It's more of an action/adventure movie than a comedy, I'd say. And definitely a little dark for kids (there's attempted suicide, hinted infedelity, little kids getting punched in the face and shot at, and people getting sucked into jet engines for godsakes)

Finally saw this movie. I'm so glad Pixar has decided to spread their wings. It's a really ballsy move too, cause never has any production team had as universially respected and consistantly succuessful a formula as Pixar, and fuck everyone whose been saying otherwise, this movie is not the standard Pixar formula. It's still family fun, but they took a risk, becasue making a superhero movie could have been really lame, but it came out great. Better than great. This movie has convinced me these guys at Pixar can do anythign they want and it will be gold.

I'm not really sure if this is a case of Pixar branching out and wanting to break away from their formula. I just saw it as proof that they know a great story when they see one. There are people in the Pixar company who have been waiting for years to get their own movie ideas done, but when Brad Bird came to them with the story for The Incredibles (after Warner Bros, who made his first film The Iron Giant, turned it down, I think) they pushed all their other projects back to make room. This is the first time Pixar's ever done a story from someone outside the company. I got the feeling that Pixar itself had very little to do with the story as a whole, they just wanted to help Bird get it made. Whether this means their in-house stuff will take a different direction, I dunno.

YEah, if you see the special feature of ther pixar films, you see the stories all started out pretty different from how they ended up. They start with an idea, like lets make and underwater movie with fish characters adn it developes through many stages with everyone at the studio giving input. It was clearly not the cast this time. Great regardless.

I'm not impressed with what I've seen there. The trailer really isn't that funny, the voice-acting looks like another of Dreamworks' "let's just get the hottest talents right now and throw them in there" ploys and the animation really isn't that impressive. I like the way they stylized the characters, but the way they're animated looks like they're from a PS2 game, not a theatrical feature. Look at Ice Age, it had highly stylized characters but still managed to have very impressive animation.

Yeah, Madagascar looks lame. The art makes Jimmy Neutron look like Finding Nemo. Dreamworks clearly has the ability to deliver incredible artwork in its animation. Shark Tale is supposedly lame, but looks great, and the 2 Shreks have outdoor landscapes and human characters that put Pixar to shame, and that's saying something. Even Antz looks better than this Madagascar shit, and that's from, what, 1997, 1998 maybe?

Ice Age came from a fledgling studio (Blue Sky) that only got funding from Fox after the produced Bunny, one of the single finest animated short films I've ever seen (almost worth the purchase of the Ice Age DVD), and made a pretty decent film with what they had. Now their wrapping up a Robot movie that looks nice and sharp. It's not hard to make robots compared to humans or animals, but I think it'll put Blue Sky at the same level, art wise, as Pixar was with Toy Story. The cast is good and I have high hopes for it.

• 5 months later...

B00005JN4W.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Saw it last night...that shit was cool, great comic pardoy with its own story goin. I really enjoyed it, some cool voice actors too, between Sam Jackson, Jason Lee and others.

A dollar says its way more fun than the actual Fanstastic Four movie'll be, and that's sad.

Also, the DVD's 2nd disc has a cool short on the side-story of the demon-baby, funny shit there too.

Archived