Hondo's Bar

Castlevania

The NZA

Which was your favorite Castlevania?  

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Castlevania%203%20intro.jpg

Been revisiting this classic Konami series, that along with Contra, still stands in my mind as one that has yet to be properly transferred to 3-D. Ive yet to play Circle of the Moon, the further adventures of Alucard, but ive heard much good about it.

Personally, i loved part 2, it was an early Adventure/RPG for me, and pretty tricky too; i dont know many that finished it, much less without an old Nintendo Power guide. SOTN for Playstation was much closer to it, and a classic, with excellent gameplay, items, abilities, bosses etc - these games are some of what i think of when i think of inspired games with excellent level layout, bosses, etc - fun games.

For me, Id have to say i dont know that Super Castlevania's been topped. Showcasing the SNES' "mode 7/scaling" effetcts (remember that?), the backgrounds left me mesmerized, the music is still some of the best ive heard in such a game, the bosses were fun, and the level layout was mean as fuck, but very well done; you never knew what one level/stage would throw at you next, but it'd be badass.

What do you think, are you a fan of the Belmonts, or a new-school Alucard one? Lets hear it!

Castlevania%202%20-%20Ending.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Wasn't there a Castlevania game for the original Nintendo Game Boy? I forget what it was called, something like Castlevania Adventure or Castlevania Legends or something like that. I distinctly remember playing it a couple of times on a friend's Game Boy. :D

Yes, youre absolutely right, it was a long time back but i remember it...hard as fuck like the other ones too. Ill add it soon. Which was your favorite, acalis?

Hmmmm I've only played them up to Super Castlevania 4, and so far that one is my favorite. I could play Castlevania: Lament of Innocence if I wanted to. Carlos (Arc) has it and I might borrow it off him sometime. :D

• 3 months later...

Castlevania: Curse of Darkness

1329.jpg

Konami Official Site

http://www.konami.com/

Here's an update on the latest installment of the Castlevania series...

-(Screens are below)-

Konami is showing off its new PS2 Castlevania game here at E3. The bad news is that it uses the engine from Castlevania: Lament of Innocence. The good news is that it fixes all of the shortcomings of that game, and then some.

This new chapter is called Castlevania: Curse of Darkness. It isn't a sequel to Lament of Innocence. In fact, it's actually a sequel to Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse, which was released for the NES more than 15 years ago. The main character is a Forgemaster named Hector, who betrayed Dracula to Simon in the NES game and went on to live a normal life in the outside world. Hector fell in love and went on about his business for 3 years, until Drac's other Forgemaster, Isaac went looking for him. Isaac blames Hector for Dracula's death and as revenge has Hector's wife killed. Hector then heads to Dracula's castle to take revenge.

Gameplay is more in keeping with what we usually expect from the Castlevania franchise. Unlike Lament of Innocence, which was a bland dungeon-crawl, Curse of Darkness has RPG-style features and puzzles. Experience points and levels can be gained by attacking monsters, and there are numerous items, weapons, and armor to collect that can also increase your defense, offense, and stamina capabilities.

Due out on 11/08/05.

castlevania-curse-of-darkness-20050127044433273.jpg

90597.jpg

Edited by MusicManiac

BTW that new Castlevania is hitting Xbox as well.

Just to set the record straight, there are 3 gameboy games, the last one starred Sonia Belmost and featured the first Belmont/Dracula fight, and was pretty cool in that it hinted that Alucard fathered a kid with her which would make Trevor (or his gay Japanese name RALPH C.) Belmont and all the rest descendents of Dracula. Kinda an interesting spin on things.

Circle of the Moon didn't follow Alucard, but it did follow some Vampire Hunters, dunno if they were Belmont Descendents or not, but they probably were. The cool thing is there is a pretty decent storyline and there are traditions followed.

For example in every game that takes place after Symphony, the Belmonts are apparently gone, somehow the bloodline split off into some other names. The Schieder's and the Morrises in particular (in fact the main character of bloodlines was Quincy Morris' son, yeah the guy from the original Dracula novel is a Belmont.)

Other fun facts, Alucard fathered another family line that showed up in the genesis game too. The LeCardes, Eric Lecarde uses a spear thingie that Alucard can get in the Saturn version of Symphony, and it's called the Alucard Spear.

Best game? Tough choice, Super was awesome, but really easy, Dracula X for the PC Engine was tops for a while (the SNES one blew), but Symphony has got to be tops, hell you play as Alucard, but after you beat the game you can play the wholoe thing as Richter, who has to be the most badass Belmont of all time. Hell I remember importing the game back in highschool and using the double-swap trick to play it. It had a bug that fucked me for a while, but still great. Playing the US one is great too as, hey, ENGLISH, but the voice acting was atrocious.

Just a note Symphony is the direct Sequel to Dracula X, they are considered in the same series, and I believe that Aria of Sorrow is the next game in line, and it's badass, almost as good as Symphony, but not quite, I still have high hopes for the Nintendo DS one though. Dracula X was also the game that started the musical refrences in the titles, it's full name was Akumajou Dracula X: Chi no Rondo or Demon Castle Dracula X: Rondo of Blood.

I always say it's a shame that Rondo never came out here, as it was just bloody amazing, and hey it was the first storyline advancement for the series since Castlevania 3 (IV was a remake of part 1.)

I think the Castlevania games that are missing on this list are:

The Castlevania Adventure(GB)

Castlevania Adventure II: Belmont's Revenge(GB)

Castlevania Legends(GB)

Castlevana Chronicles(PSX)

Castlevania : Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)

not going to mention the Arcade or MSX games.

One last note, it seems that the Japanese titles as a whole are a lot cooler, some examples:

Aria of Sorrow = Minuet of Dawn (Ok, not that great.)

Symphony of the Night = Nocturne in the Moonlight

Harmony of Dissonance = Concierto of the Midnight Sun

Castlevania 64 = "" Apocalypse

Castlevania Legends = Dark Night Prelude

Dawn of Sorrow = Crucifix of the Blue Moon

oddly enough Lament of Innocence was called Castlevania in Japan the first time that title had ever been used for one of the games. Seems like titling something Demon Castle Dracula, when he isn't in the game would be kinda tough.

Wow the random amount of knowledge I have on this series frightens even me.

• Upvote 1

jesus, george, i didnt know you were that big a fan...that's cool. I didnt even know Super was a remake of part 1 (which was way harder).

Was Aria the same engine as SOTN? Cause i loved that one, too. I always wondered what the hype was about Dracula X since the SNES one wasnt so hot...not Castlevania 64 bad, but not great.

1) which arcade game? you mean part 1?

2) Why was Richter badass? I always went with Simon or Trevor...

Also, MM, thanks for the preview.

jesus, george, i didnt know you were that big a fan...that's cool. I didnt even know Super was a remake of part 1 (which was way harder).

Yeah, I just know a lot about em, played most of em too. Lemme also mention that Bloodlines kicked major butt.

Was Aria the same engine as SOTN? Cause i loved that one, too. I always wondered what the hype was about Dracula X since the SNES one wasnt so hot...not Castlevania 64 bad, but not great.

Aria, Harmony and Dawn all are very similar to Symphony, Aria especially was great because it really got a lot of things spot on. None of them are quite as good as Symphony but Aria is damn close.

1) which arcade game? you mean part 1?

There was an Arcade game called Haunted Castle (Akumajou Dracula in Japan, same title as all the others) it was tough as balls but had pretty nice graphics for the time, and you could use more than just a whip. I believe the plot was that Dracula kidnapped your bride or some shit. The music rocked too.

This game was really rare, I think the only time I played it in the Arcades was at a K-Mart in North Miami when I was like 10 or so. You can play it with MAME nowadays.

There was a Playchoice 10 version of Castlevania 1 too, but it was the same game as the NES one.

) Why was Richter badass? I always went with Simon or Trevor...

Richter was the man, not only did he get a ton of friggen awesome moves in SoTN, he was just friggen awesome in Rondo of Blood. He didn't have Simon's sometimes ability to whip in any direction, but he had hte item crashes which were friggen cool as shit.

Not to mention anyone who can square off ewith the Grim Reaper while running across moving carriage AND horses is tops in my book.

There was an Arcade game called Haunted Castle (Akumajou Dracula in Japan, same title as all the others) it was tough as balls but had pretty nice graphics for the time, and you could use more than just a whip. I believe the plot was that Dracula kidnapped your bride or some shit. The music rocked too.

Is this avail on ROM ya think?

Yeah, use MAME, the ROM isn't too hard to find tryEmuAsylum

Don't count on beating it though, the game is a bitch and a half and it only lets you continue 3 times, that is a new sense of evil I tell ya. Probably the hardest 'vania ever.

I'd also HIGHLY recommend Dracula X for the PC-Engine/Turbografix CD-ROM, it's also not too hard to track down and it is just friggen awesome. You can really see some of the stuff they did in later games get its start with Drac X, probably the best of the traditional style games.

• 10 months later...

Symphony of the Night Heads to XBLA

Castlevania is heading to Xbox Live Arcade.

by Luke Smith, 08/03/2006

UPDATE: For clarification, the version of Symphony of the Night that will appear on Xbox Live is not the Sega Saturn version of the title, it is the PlayStation version. Furthermore, nothing from Konami has indicated that SOTN's appearance on XBLA will keep the title exclusive to Microsoft's Live Arcade.

ORIGINAL STORY: Kaz Hirai's triumphant warcry of "Riiiiiidge Racer" on the PSP led people to believe other key PSOne titles would soon be heading to the PSP via emulation. Apparently Konami missed the memo, as Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is making its way to Xbox Live Arcade.

The September issue of Electronic Gaming Monthly (issue: 207) reports:

Konami is resurrecting the cult PS1 game Castlevania: Symphony of the Night on Xbox Live Arcade. Along with SOTN, Konami is also bringing back other classic hits, some revered (Frogger, Contra, Super Contra, Track & Field) some obscure (Time Pilot), and some really obscure (Scramble).

When will SOTN head to XBLA? Representatives from Konami told 1UP that the game is tenatively slated for a Q1 2007 release on XBLA.

IMDb reports - Castlevania (2007)

Directed by

Paul W.S. Anderson

Writing credits

Paul W.S. Anderson

Castlevania Movie

Plot Outline: This movie focuses on the origin of the eternal struggle between the Belmont clan and Lord Dracula.

- Paul W.S. Anderson, director of the Resident Evil and Mortal Kombat movies, has announced that his next game-related film project will be an adaptation of Konami's Castlevania series. Details are still a bit sketchy, but it seems as if Anderson's take on the franchise will look at the origins of the Belmonts' multi-generational struggle against Dracula. The scenario is reminiscent of 2003's Castlevania: Lament of Innocence, but there are no indications that Anderson intends to use Leon Belmont or other established characters. No screenwriter or potential release date was announced.

• 3 years later...

was enjoying talking about this series the other night with bish, los & space, wanted to continue it here. bish in particular has what sounds like the canon timeline down, which is pretty cool. wanted to try to get it here as well, since i cant remember it all, just that:

Lament of Innocence (PS2) - this is the first one, and apparently shows how the Belmont family gets the Vampire Killer and the first fight with Dracula.

after that, i dug up Dracula's Curse > Adventure (not canon anymore?) > Belmont's Revenge > Castlevania > Simon's Quest > Rondo of Blood > Bloodlines

...gotta work the GBA/DS ones in there, of course. im really thinking of giving the series more time, especially the much-acclaimed portable Metroidvania ones that ive yet to finish any of (starting with Order of Ecclasia was a poor idea). also, still bummed about Ida not getting to his 1999 game with Alucand (vamp war!!) but maybe one day...? at least Lord of Shadow's looking a bit better at the moment:

nwc9pf.jpg

also, i forget which game the Belmonts lose the Vampire Killer in? so there's that. meantime, some excellent music.

Off the top of my head I believe that the canon goes,

lament of Innocence, PS2, XBOX (Play through twice to get Pumpkin!)

Castlevania Legends, GB

Castlevania 3, NES

Curse of Darkness, PS2, XBOX

Casltevania Adventure 1, GB

Casltevania Adventure 2, GB

Casltevania 1, NES

Casltevania 2, NES (Almost as bad as the N64 Games)

Harmony of Dissonance, GBA

Dracula X: Rondo of Blood, SNES, PC Engine (Best Platform Castlevania Game well the PC Engine one anyway)

Symphony of the Night: Saturn, PSX (What is a Man? A mirsable pile of secrets!)

Circle of the Moon, GBA (might be non canon)

Legacy of Darkness, N64

Castlevania 64, N64

Castlevania Bloodlines, SEGA MEGA AWSEOME DRIVE! (2nd Best Platfrom Castlevania game!!!)

Portrait of Ruin, NDS (Johnathon! Charlotte! Johnathon! Charlotte! Johnathon! Charlotte!)

Aria of Sorrow, GBA (Best ARRR-PG Castlevania!)

Dawn of Sorrow, NDS

and the rest are non canon.

Ta-Da!!

Off the top of my head I believe that the canon goes,

lament of Innocence, PS2, XBOX (Play through twice to get Pumpkin!)

Castlevania Legends, GB

Castlevania 3, NES

Curse of Darkness, PS2, XBOX

Casltevania Adventure 1, GB

Casltevania Adventure 2, GB

Casltevania 1, NES

Casltevania 2, NES (Almost as bad as the N64 Games)

Harmony of Dissonance, GBA

Dracula X: Rondo of Blood, SNES, PC Engine (Best Platform Castlevania Game well the PC Engine one anyway)

Symphony of the Night: Saturn, PSX (What is a Man? A mirsable pile of secrets!)

Circle of the Moon, GBA (might be non canon)

Legacy of Darkness, N64

Castlevania 64, N64

Castlevania Bloodlines, SEGA MEGA AWSEOME DRIVE! (2nd Best Platfrom Castlevania game!!!)

Portrait of Ruin, NDS (Johnathon! Charlotte! Johnathon! Charlotte! Johnathon! Charlotte!)

Aria of Sorrow, GBA (Best ARRR-PG Castlevania!)

Dawn of Sorrow, NDS

and the rest are non canon.

Ta-Da!!

Legends is non canon, past that I think they all are.

Even... sigh... Judgement.

http://castlevania.wikia.com/wiki/Castlevania_Timeline

I think I'll cry now... fuck that game.