Hondo's Bar

Land of the Dead

So who else is hyped about some zombie madness?!! Well, I know I am!! And to think this movie was almost not made!! I guess after Day of the Dead came out (like 20 years ago or more), this movie was to quickly follow, but got put on the back burner... untill now!!

My buddy and I (over here in Jersey) have been debating back-n-forth about all the zombie "rules" that are being broken in this movie!! Zombies using weapons? Zombies communicating? Could the next flick have the zombies teaming up with velociraptors to take over the earth? Thats about where its going!! Nah, but I say if director, George Romero, says that zombies use weapons, then dammit they use weapons!! The fuckin' guy damn near created the genre (Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead)!! Either way, I'm at the theater first day!! What can I say, I love zombies!!

Dammit, i wish you were in miami.

LL, you wanna make this happen tomorrow night? You heard him: there could be fucking zombie raptors.

Fuck, its taken us almost a century of film, but we've finally made it this far.

One word... Awesomeness!!! That was the best zombie movie I've ever seen!! I was scared at first at how "thinking" zombies where gonna turn out, but Romero did it perfect! It wasn't to over the top or corny! It was just right! Two thumbs up!! Hats off to Mr. Romero!! NOW MAKE MORE!!!!

Loved it. The Zombies get smarter as the humans get dumber. More and more it seems like Romero is doing his version of Noah's ark, or Sodom and Gommorrah. Watching the zombies chew up all those rich folk was a treat. I don't think it's better than dawn, but I liked it better than Day of the Dead, and pretty much all of the newer zombie flicks, except maybe shawn of the dead. I'm glad that Romero's still got it. Oh, and Dennis Hopper is the man.

I agree with Junker!! This was the first zombie flick where you actually root for the fuckin' undead!! Hey Junk, it'd be cool if you graced us with your allknowingness in the "Best Zombie Movie Poll" thread (I would link it, but I'm too lazy right now)!!

Millennium Films, Taurus Entertainment and Emmett/Furla Films are developing a remake of George A. Romero's 1985 Day of the Dead, which will be financed and distributed through Millennium, says Variety.

The original film was set in a world overrun by pesky zombies bent on extracting a group of scientists and military personnel who have holed up in an underground bunker.

Also...

Dawn of the Dead director Zack Snyder tells Sci Fi Wire that Universal Pictures has already approached him to make a sequel to his hit zombie remake, but that the movie won't be a remake of George Romero's own sequel, Day of the Dead. "It's fascinating, because it's the sequel to our movie," Snyder said. "I was like, 'We should do a sequel to Day,' but they [weren't interested]."

He added that talks have begun with Universal, but the project does not have a definite start date. "We kicked around some ideas, but I don't know what we're going to do with it. We've talked about it. I met with James. I met with the producers. The heat comes on and off of that. I think Universal wants it bad."

And...

Hip Games today unmasked City of the Dead, the until-now unnamed video game based on George A. Romero's famous universe of zombies and mayhem. The title is currently in development at Kuju Entertainment for PlayStation 2, Xbox, and PC, and expected for spring 2006.

The company also revealed today that Tom Savini, star of From Dusk Till Dawn and known (notorious?) horror makeup artist, will lend his voice and likeness to City of the Dead. Savini will play William "Red" McLean, a battle-worn ex-cop who initially lends support to the player, but will eventually be a playable character himself.

City of the Dead begins as four desperate survivors escape a ravaged zombie infested city by helicopter. After making it to the remote island of Isla Mortal, an accident destroys their only means of escape. Unbeknown to them the island is home to a top secret military installation, overrun by the walking dead. Armed with an arsenal of traditional and futuristic weaponry, players must battle the living dead in series of abandoned locales.

Along with the single-player story, the game will offer split-screen co-op missions, a party mode (dead man's party mode?), and four-player online play. In multiplayer, you'll get to choose whether to bash heads as a human or a zombie.

(Note that this project is not the same as the City of the Dead project which American McGee and George A. Romero were discussing last year.)

george-romero-game-named-star-struck-20050511014007537.jpg

- George Romero's Land of the Dead opened this week to a respectable $10 million in box office receipts, so it comes as little surprise that the director is already discussing opportunities not only for the forthcoming DVD, but potential sequels. Describing the inevitable unrated version that will appear on DVD, he confesses that much of the material will be character-building content rather than simply extra gore. "There's a few things," he says. "There is one scene in particular where [John Leguizamo's] Cholo, before he meets [Dennis Hopper's] Kaufman, he goes into a neighboring penthouse and finds a human that hung himself and has to kill him. That was a scene that we felt didn't turn out as effectively as it could have and we didn't think it was necessary so that's really the only major scene from the original script that's gone."

"The DVD version, we are working on it now," he reveals. "I think it's about six minutes longer, but it's all just adding back or putting in some effects that were excised and putting in some little things like little bits of dialogue in existing scenes that we cut out just to tighten the pace. It's mostly that, and that penthouse scene."

Romero says that he employed a few CGI tricks to bypass some of the MPAA's objections to the film's gore for the theatrical cut, but did not indicate whether the shots would be restored for the DVD. "Universal was more willing to pony up a little more dough, [so] we got an extra few days to try and improve on some of the gore things and dance around the MPAA a little bit by doing the shadow thing and smoke thing to indicate what was going on without actually having it in your face."

"I used Kubrick's trick on green screen," he explains. "I shot figures walking by so if there was a particular gory shot I could composite it and walk someone in front of it." He marvels at the MPAA's vigilance when it comes to excising or editing questionable footage. "It's amazing sometimes that the MPAA will do a frame count."

"Like nobody knows what's going on here? If it's eight frames shorter it's okay? But I guess they have to be diligent and that's the only way that they measure it. 'Make that a little shorter so it will be alright'," he says, imitating their response.

Beyond the DVD and its many iterations, Romero says he has a few projects on deck, including the Showtime series Masters of Horror and a potential Dead sequel. "Masters of Horror is something I am hoping to do," he says. "It's going to depend, I guess; it's sort of related to what happens with this. If this opens strong, I might be in a situation where I might have to do another one of these or would be asked to do another one of these right away, in which case I've sort of left the [story open-ended]."

"I'd almost want to make chapter two of the same movie if that happens," he continues. "Just sort of finish the story and I have an idea of where to go with and in my mind just think of them both as one movie. So if that happens I may not be able to do the Masters of Horror."

Although Masters enlisted other horror greats such as John Carpenter, he says that simple timing may prohibit Romero's involvement. "I've been so tied up on this thing that I haven't been able to write a script for [the show], he confesses. "Mick sent me a couple of scripts and a couple of them are pretty nice. I'm still hoping that I can get a couple of weeks and still be able to do that." At the same time, the independent-minded moviemaker reveals he has a few other ideas up his sleeve, even if neither of his immediate interests play out.

"I have a couple of other things that we are working on, but everything would get trumped if they want to do a sequel to this."

• 1 month later...

I didn't realise we Australians were this far behind the uncivilised world!! Came out today & just got home from it. Thinking Zombies I'm still not too keen on(it's just an idea that stinks at face value) but YES, Romero treated the concept well. The good news is that Arnah is now mad-keen to get stuck into my Walking Dead trades. The bad news is the market's going to be flooded with shitty b-grade movies featuring evolving undead lead by the zombie Steven Hawking. Arright, that'd be a fuckin' stitch

*BZZZZT-HUUURGH-BZZZT*

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

finally got to see this one; it was everything Junker & Cap'n said: rule-breaking all over, and really great for it...Romero has this great commentary on how people act, even after theyre a minority, and even with the hammy, b-rated acting youve come to expect, this one churns out a damn interesting plot while its at it...Romero reminds me why zombie movies are the best movies.

Speaking of which, if anyone's looking to recommend one in said genre, im all ears.

finally got to see this one; it was everything Junker & Cap'n said: rule-breaking all over, and really great for it...Romero has this great commentary on how people act, even after theyre a minority, and even with the hammy, b-rated acting youve come to expect, this one churns out a damn interesting plot while its at it...Romero reminds me why zombie movies are the best movies. 

Speaking of which, if anyone's looking to recommend one in said genre, im all ears.

You want zombie movie recomendations? Braindead, aka Dead Alive or Shaun of the Dead are among the best.

Archived