Hondo's Bar

Steven King & Marvel

Aartemys

This is right out of the Stephen King Newsletter...

STEPHEN KING BREAKS NEW GROUND AT MARVEL WITH ORIGINAL COMIC SERIES BASED ON HIS EPIC

THE DARK TOWER

Marvel Comics to launch first issue in April 2006

Premium hard cover collection of the first six issues to be released in Holiday 2006

Spring 2006---Stephen King and Marvel Comics join forces to launch a ground-breaking new comic book series adapted from King’s magnum opus, The Dark Tower. King’s unparalleled storytelling power will provide old and new stories that delve into the life and times of the young Roland.

“As a lifelong fan of Marvel comic books, and as an adult reader who’s seen comics “come of age” and take their rightful place in the world of fantasy and science fiction,” says Stephen King. “I’m excited to be a part of Roland’s new incarnation.”

The series will be illustrated by Eisner-award winning artist Jae Lee.

“My life changed overnight when I learned I'd be working with Stephen King!” exclaims Jae Lee. “I know how special The Dark Tower series is to him. I'm incredibly honored that he would allow me to be a guest in his world.”

Keep checking Marvel.com for more information on one of the biggest projects in 2006. And be on the lookout for free bookmarks featuring the exceptional art of Jae Lee, at comic book shops and bookstores nationwide this holiday season.

Marvel

banner.jpg

STEPHEN KING BREAKS NEW GROUND AT MARVEL WITH ORIGINAL COMIC SERIES BASED ON HIS EPIC THE DARK TOWER

New Comic Series Exploring the Origin of the Notorious Gunslinger Character Marks First Time Stephen King Has Produced Original Content for the Comic Book Format.

NEW YORK – World Fantasy Award-winning writer Stephen King, long acknowledged as the master of modern horror, and Marvel Comics join forces this spring to launch a ground-breaking new comic book series adapted from King's magnum opus, The Dark Tower.

The comic series will mark the first time Stephen King has produced original content for an ongoing comic book project. The series will expand the saga of King’s epic hero, Roland Deschain, whose quest to save the Dark Tower is captured in seven best-selling novels published over the course of twenty-five years. King’s unparalleled storytelling power will inform new stories that delve into the life and times of the young Roland, revealing the trials and conflicts that lead to the burden of destiny he must assume as a man, the last Gunslinger from a world that has moved on. The comics will work in conjunction with the novels, further supplementing and defining the saga’s mythology under the direction of the acclaimed author himself.

"As a lifelong fan of Marvel comic books, and as an adult reader who’s seen comics "come of age" and take their rightful place in the world of fantasy and science fiction, I’m excited to be a part of Roland's new incarnation," said Stephen King.

The series will be illustrated by Eisner-award winning artist Jae Lee.

King continued, "I love Jae Lee's work, and I think this is going to be a dynamite partnership. Frankly, I can’t wait."

Watch for more info as it becomes available at www.marvel.com/king

"Stephen King is a true literary master. We are thrilled beyond words to have him join Marvel on this exciting project. The millions of Dark Tower fans are in for a real treat, and I'm sure many more will soon be hooked on this epic series through this historic comic project," said Joe Quesada, Marvel Entertainment's Editor-In-Chief and Chief Creative Officer, Publishing.

"The level of excitement and talent that Stephen King brings to the world of comic books is electrifying. We're proud and honored to be a part of what promises to be an industry-defining event," said Dan Buckley, Publisher and Chief Operating Officer of Marvel Entertainment, Publishing.

DkTowerImg1.jpg

DarkTower_p01_col2.jpg

DarkTower_p02_col2.jpg

DarkTower_p0304_col2.jpg

Fuckin hell, i knew they worked something out, but didnt know it was for that series....see Tulip/Jumbie?  I told youd id read this thing eventually, it just needed pictures by Jae Lee.

Thanks for this, aarty!

Glad I could finally post something on this darn forum! LOL...I got giddy when I read the e-mail...LOL...

You know...I've never been a huge fan of comics. I've read a few issues of Lady Death and browsed some of Neil Gaiman's stuff but...dunno, never got into it. HOWEVER.

This will change. Because, what's funny... So many of King's novel mention stuff about Midworld and the Crimson King... Like a ribbon running through a crazy quilt.

I am so there.

• 1 year later...

Sure... Lemme summarise it for you:

Baddass gunslinger wanders through a broken alternate future chasing a man in black. Said Gunslinger is obsessed with a vision of a Dark Tower and will sacrifice the lives of people close to him and his own decency to reach it, since he thinks the Dark Tower may hold the key to restoring his world.

He's like a Bushido cowboy except his moral code really only has one requirement: Mission success even at the price of your own soul.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Faithfulness is irrelevant.

From what's been posted here, it appears these will be all-new stories with the characters from the books.

King has done that before. He wrote a vampire short story featuring the Gunslinger, but set before the time period of the books, for a fiction anthology called Legends.

Was a cool little story with some fucked-up nuns. Was called The Little Sisters of Eluria.

Faithfulness is irrelevant.

From what's been posted here, it appears these will be all-new stories with the characters from the books.

King has done that before. He wrote a vampire short story featuring the Gunslinger, but set before the time period of the books, for a fiction anthology called Legends.

Was a cool little story with some fucked-up nuns. Was called The Little Sisters of Eluria.

From my understanding.. it isnt NEW stories but further delving into whats covered by Roland in Wizards and Glass.

Yeah, I keep thinking that we never did find out what happenned to the Coos for one thing... Or did I miss that?

Plus King devoted like one paragraph to some of the deaths in Roland's first Ka-tet.

And there was very little on The Good Man and the whole rebellion.

Archived