Hondo's Bar

Captain America

The NZA

0785109781.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

A lotta people bashed Rieber's post 9-11, questionably-liberal Captain America, who was more than slightly distrustufl of his gov't - not to mention that, despite Cassady (Astonishing X-Men) beautiful pencils, the decompression style saw little to no action in the first issue. The arc brought negative press in a few newspapers, but i liked it.

Anyway, the book hit some rough spots after that, but eventually, they got Brubaker (Gotham Central) and Epting on, and its been a great book since - prolly the best ive seen it since Mark Waid and Ron Garney were on it the first time, before Heroes Reborn.

0785116516.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

The Winter Soldier - this arc hit the ground running. It preludes with Red Skull finally killed, a missing cosmic cube in the hands of terrorists, and some of Cap's friends going...missing. All this before Cap begins questioning some of his WW II memories, and a (possibly) familiar face comes hutning him...

Took me a while to get into this book (it does every time), cause i dig Fury & S.H.I.E.L.D., but not the 007-way theyre always portrayed in this book, as much as Ennis' take, and Cap's friends & enemis alike usually bore me, but this arc has seriously got me more anxious than ive ever been to read the title, and its antoher one who's climax is dropping this month. Definitely worth checking out.

• 2 months later...

Fuck, you wont be dissapointed.

I was half waiting for this arc to be in one big hardcover, but im thinking i might havta just get the 2 TPB's. So, yeah, Skeet hated the ending, and panch thought it was mediocre, i guess it kinda went how i was expecting, so i was cool with it.

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

• 1 year later...

So, Newsarama's got a Bru interview here, "After the fall"... funny how, since most every marvel character has died at one point, he wasnt expecting the notice/feedback he got from mainstream press and such. Anyway, he talks about what to expect from the book now that its main character is gone (Fury, Carter & Winter Soldier arent a bad supporting cast, at that) as well as angles some're expecting, like WS picking up the mantle....anyway, article has some disturbing pics from an upcoming issue.

that said, if the serum's "leaving his body", is this one of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s LMA's? a skrull/clone? wha? is cap still underground, or are they really gonna wait to pull Steve back outta the shadows before the movie in '09?! cant possibly leave him off that long, but Bru does seem to have a huge master plan, a la the Bendis DD run...

• 8 months later...

so, the Skull's plan so far for taking down America, step-by-step...damn! just read # 34, and its like a more realistic, stealthier method than Millar's "Grand Theft America", and im really liking it.

What's everyone's take on the new Cap so far?

:pinch: captain America with a gun..... dont know... it is different. it does make sense for

bucky or winter soldier

to take over but this is most likely going to be a completely different captain america.... a much more deadlier captain america maybe???

CapRoss.jpg

You-- clearly haven't heard of spoiler tags ya fuckin' dousche. :huh:

skeet - you havent been reading this? YOURE SLEEPIN' ON THE BRU?! :pinch:

arch - only the most current one, the other ones i can dig up from DC++ but if you mininova/pirate bay "DCP" they can be found with a wee bit of effort too.

Logan - haha, i really think this is bru giving the people what they think they want. it almost reminds me of when azreal was the new badass batman just long enough to have everybody remember why they liked classic coke so much more.

they havent, now? they must be saving em for one big book, then. I thought this was being done by arcs, that's odd.

that said, the omnibus is a deal and a half, even includes the awesome 65th anniversary special and the winter soldier: winter kills one-shot, plus notes and shit. quite proud of that book, all im waiting on from amazon now is the rising stars compendium and whenever scud's omnibus is done.

• 4 weeks later...

...you're not reading it?

Bru's on fire here. The whole bit of Red Skull killing Cap being "just the beginning" wasnt hyperbole; the death of cap is apparently being told in acts, and we're early into act 2, with Red Skull at the helm of oil/various conglomerate Kronas corp, and right now, amercia's falling apart on the level of The Ultimates last season, with everything from a look at the real estate crisis to unemployment and even S.H.I.E.L.D. inspired riots (really, you gotta read it). Its like the new Cap took over at the worst possible time, and you're really seeing this hellish take on america without Cap or even Fury to save it.

I wanna see how far it goes, but so far, i think im buying all the trades of this series; again, i havent liked Cap's book this much since "Man without a country" in like the mid-90's (which, if newt ever comes back, i just picked up for $20!).

• 1 month later...

ok, so act 3 is now going, and Skull's really showed his hand/master plan finally, i think. but, in spoiler tags so's the impatient can ruin it for themselves ( :hulk: you know who you are ), anyone care to conjecture on the last page of this month's issue? I kinda know what im looking at, but kinda don't. Damn you, Bru!

gotta borrow this stuff from Nick next sunday

Borrow? You plan on taking his computer with you?

anyone care to conjecture on the last page of this month's issue? I kinda know what im looking at, but kinda don't. Damn you, Bru!

I found it odd that we didn't get a clear view of the whole body but only half of a shot.