Hondo's Bar

The Shield

• 2 months later...

its killing me that this is the best show im watching these days, and sen & i got no one to talk to about its upcoming finale. killing me.

we're 2 episodes out from the end, and the nets are closing in. you can pretty much name an interesting character and place a valid bet on if theyre gonna end up dead, in jail, or uh, working with the feds at this point. I fucking love Shawn Ryan, his transition/character progression - granted, he's had 7 short seasons now - but theyre what id like to see in other stories. he's got the buildup of all the past sins of this gritty show, with season 5's finale showing you how visceral it can get, and yet the Strike team is shaping up to make this shit damn near shakespearean, again. i cant fucking wait till next week.

yeah, 2nd to last tomorrow night...jesus.

tell you what, im broke & out of DVD blanks, make you a deal: i find a cheap dvd auction, you pick em up & have em sent here, ill copy this last season (its gonna possibly take 2 DVDs) and send it your way toot-sweet. lemme know man, either way i gotta get this shit to you by the end of next week.

Or I can knuckle down and get this torrenting thing sorted. I managed to get a few back catalogues & season 2 of Heroes, but whenever I try to queue anything it says it's a bad torrent. I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling tonight. It'll be quicker this way, but I appreciate the offer man.

• 2 weeks later...
I love how Vick's so far outta line, but its like the early bits in Training Day cause you can see he's doing it to keep people safter - "I agree to let you deal here on the condition that you dont have my block looking like the gaza strip..." - but along the way it just gets darker and darker, but you still see him as redeemable for his intentions, he's a great character.

The reason this show is so reminiscent of Training Day is due to both of them being based upon the real life Rampart Scandal, which is the most documented case of police corruption in U.S. history. They were actually going to call The Shield, Rampart, but decided against it.

One of the real cops, David Mack, is serving time for robbing a bank, incidentally the $722,000 was never recovered and there are rumors that Mack has bragged about being a rich man once he gets out of prison in a few more years.

If the name David Mack sounds familiar it is probably because you've heard it in connection with the death of the Notorious B.I.G. There is quite a bit of evidence that Mack killed him.

Anyways, I love this show and I just started watching Season 6 on DVD.

The reason this show is so reminiscent of Training Day is due to both of them being based upon the real life Rampart Scandal, which is the most documented case of police corruption in U.S. history. They were actually going to call The Shield, Rampart, but decided against it.

One of the real cops, David Mack, is serving time for robbing a bank, incidentally the $722,000 was never recovered and there are rumors that Mack has bragged about being a rich man once he gets out of prison in a few more years.

If the name David Mack sounds familiar it is probably because you've heard it in connection with the death of the Notorious B.I.G. There is quite a bit of evidence that Mack killed him.

yeah, i heard they wanted Rampart, but went against it at the request of the LAPD's dignity, as it were at the time.

ive read about Mack, not as much with the biggie stuff, that's crazy though.

finally caught the finale tonight....jesus. hate to see this one go, but talk about closure. i really thought i knew how it'd go down, too....

no spoiler tags, no nothin' till skeet watches this and ive someone to talk to about it. here's to one of the best shows ive seen in a long while.

• 2 weeks later...

I got Season 1 on DVD as a gift back in 2006 and have been hooked on the show ever since. The last two seasons (6&7) were probably the weakest of the series, but they were still more compelling than most other crap on TV that tries to pass itself off as quality drama.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

they never said what happened to the black dude that was new to the team. i got surprisingly far when i was watching this one. i thought for sure i'd get tired of julien and shane. him and those cowboy boots. gives cowboys a bad rep that hick boy.

If you think Shane gives Southerners a bad name now then just wait until you see season 7! Also season 7 answers the question of what happened to "the black dude" (I forget his name as well) that was on the Strike Team, and a few other old ghosts from previous seasons come back to haunt Vick--

sadly no Glenn Close or Forrest Whitaker though.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
DK- where'd your Aussie friend go?

Well, she took a break from the internet(not by choice, her internet speed was dropped to dialup levels because of too much downloading, my fault for trying to get her to join me on WoW, downloading the client and patches was what caused it) and once her net speed was restored, she just hasn't been on much. I'll ask her tonight if she plans on dropping back by.

• 3 weeks later...

This season was a real chore starting out, I'd actually sat on ep 5 or so for a good few weeks but resolved to finish it today. Right about where

Shane tried to knock Ronnie & Vic

I got interested again. Just finished the 2nd last ep... Holy fuck. I knew Vic'd need to come clean at some point, but the circumstances, the outcome(I guess to be seen), it's just... Wow. More to come last Ep.

Man, without fear of spoilery I can say Vic Mackey is in a personal hell of his own making. Favourite moment just about of the whole series was

Vic sitting down and recounting everything he's ever done after signing that immunity deal, them realising what they've just absolved. Aside from that, Shane got his, I really hoped Ronnie'd get a better deal because christ knows he's the greatest thing to come out of this series: He could seriously support his own Joey-style spin-off

. I'ma miss this show.