Hondo's Bar

The Shield

that's gotta be the worst part of his hell. losing his family's awful, but overdue; he's never gonna be on the force again, sure - but after Lem, Ronnie was the man (i only disagree with skeet that i wish he was fleshed out more across the series) but that betrayl was so fucked. he had a chance to warn ronnine after the big bust, i thought, and i was just totally sitting there on the edge of my seat, hoping he'd tell his ass to make a run for the border, but he never did! that shit was unforgivable.

still, given that i was so sure vic'd end up dead or in jail, i didnt see that coming.

Desk job seems worse, but the very ending, with him taking out the gun and the slight smile on his face, makes me think that Vic's not done being Vic. Sure, he's stuck at a desk for 3 years, but he got away with all the shit he did, and the way I read the ending, it looks to me like he knows it, and is already making plans for down the line. Course, that's just my interpretation, but it does fit with the way he's been portrayed, so who knows.

• 4 months later...

that's gotta be the worst part of his hell. losing his family's awful, but overdue; he's never gonna be on the force again, sure - but after Lem, Ronnie was the man (i only disagree with skeet that i wish he was fleshed out more across the series) but that betrayl was so fucked. he had a chance to warn ronnine after the big bust, i thought, and i was just totally sitting there on the edge of my seat, hoping he'd tell his ass to make a run for the border, but he never did! that shit was unforgivable.

still, given that i was so sure vic'd end up dead or in jail, i didnt see that coming.

I just finished the final season of the Shield and man,

the thing that bothered me the most was that Vic betrayed Ronnie.

That series was probably the most intense show I've ever watched.

yeah, if i didnt say so prior, that was the most heartbreaking fucking thing about it.

ok, so the feds said it would negate his deal, but fuck man, right then after the last big bust, when vic's supposed to get back to the station? if not before, that was the moment to lean over and go "LEAVE YOUR SHIT AND GET THE FUCK TO MEXICO RIGHT NOW". you notice how he focuses on Lem since the other piece of his team died (partly due to him) and another's now locked up (entirely due to him). dude's in a hell he created.

• 7 months later...

What I mean though is, am I just going to roll my eyes as I inevitably do at every cop show I've seen since The Wire.

They're all so silly, is it going to be like starting off with Miller's run on daredevil and then going back and reading the first Stan Lee stories afterwards?

Edited by alive she cried

I don't know what to tell you, E. I love 'em both. If you roll your eyes all baytorh8r at the first episode then just don't bother w/ the series as it sets the tone of all the seasons beautifully. It's not as wide in scope as The Wire and definitely has more pitfalls (especially in the latter seasons), but I'd have to say if The Wire is the #1 cop drama of all time then The Shield is a close #2.

haku nailed it, different takes/stories entirely. picture the Wire as a macroscope, and the Shield as a micro focusing on a sort've "who watches the watchmen" kinda angle. the very first espisode, though rough, concludes on such a point Mackey's either compelling or not your thing.

• 2 months later...

FYI: The complete series of The Shield is going on sale as an amazon.com Gold Box offer this Wednesday (5-5-10). They're having a week long sale on TV DVD titles.

As it stands now before the sale, the entire 7 season run is only $110. That's less than $16 bucks per season, my guess is it'll be around $70-$90 during the sale, but who knows until Wednesday.

This kinda pisses me off as I bought seasons 1-4 for $20 ea. over the years. :/

Yeah, I just get the seasons as they're released here and we're up to six. A couple of friends on facebook are commenting on season 5, and invariably talk of the Shield makes me want to rewatch it so I'm in the process of rewatching the entire series again.

ASC- how'd you make out with this one?

• 11 years later...
ew.com

'People were repulsed and fascinated': An oral history of 'The Shield'

Michael Chiklis, Walton Goggins, Glenn Close, and more reflect on the shocking cop drama that forever changed TV.

"Good cop and bad cop left for the day. I'm a different kind of cop."
Detective Vic Mackey issued that warning moments before he beat a suspect with a phone book in the 2002 pilot of The Shield. By the end of the episode, he'd murder a fellow cop. And that was just the beginning of his crimes — and a game-changing, Emmy-winning run for a show that came to define FX, basic-cable programming, and a new era of television.

To celebrate 20 years of arresting audiences, Shield stars Michael Chiklis, Walton Goggins, Glenn Close, Anthony Anderson, and more reflect on the trailblazing drama.

WALTON GOGGINS (SHANE VENDRELL): I was doing pretty well in movies but trying to break into TV. Looking the way I did, sounding the way I did, there wasn't really room for me on network TV; they didn't know what to do with me. And so I read this and it read like one of the greatest cop films ever. I called my agent and said, "Are you sure this is for TV?" It had been a long time since someone had told a story about Los Angeles in this way. Shane has, like, two lines in the pilot, but I felt it could be special — and I knew Shane was part of the original sin. Little did I know, after that pilot, the executives wanted to fire me. Shawn didn't tell me until the end of season 1 during a DVD commentary recording, and I said, "How?! I had two lines!" He said to them, "I know what this guy's capable of, let me prove it," and he focused the second episode on Shane. I'm glad he didn't tell me because I may have f---ed that up.

was just thinking about this show the other day - still marvel at how certain i was the showrunners had painted themselves into a corner with the ending, and then they went another way and absolutely nailed it.  i don't think ive seen that happen elsewhere in TV.
  • Really Like 2

I'm still impressed at how well put together the finale is/was considering it could have very easily gone off the tracks and been a bit underwhelming/silly and doing a disservice to the seasons of excellent work that had gone before it.

A genuinely great article to read over and its making me want to re-watch the series.

On a tangential note, this is one of the best CCH Pounder impersonations I've ever come across:

• Wow! 1