Hondo's Bar

Best Beatles Album

7 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There are better Beatles songs than Elanor Rigby, but it is a great song in it's own right on top of really beign revolutionary for the Beatles and the whole rock world. It opened the door for the Beatles to do much darker songs, like my favorite, Happiness is a Warm Gun. I almost voted for the White Album because, though it's not as solid as some of the other ones, being a double album means it has more songs that I like. I can't stand Revolution 9 though. Also love Julia, Helter Skelter, Everybody's Got Something To Except For Me And My Monkey (best song title...ever! ), Revolution, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Don't Pass Me By, Bungalo Bill, Rocky Raccoon. Better stop there, or I'll list every one of them. I'm having second thoughts now about voting for Abbey Road, but then I think about all the great songs on it. I could go in circles like this forever. Little Bit Of Trivia: Did you know that Elanor Rigby is the only beatles song in which not one of the Beatles play an instrument? It's just Paul's voice and a string quartet.

The huge medley of songs at the end of Abbey Road really puts that album over the top for me. Not know how Let It Be can be close runner-up for you though. Some really great songs, no doubt, but some really forgetable ones too. Could easily be my least favorite of the bunch.

• 4 years later...

Awh hey... don't say that! I appreciate their early stuff, too!

...I almost voted for the White Album because, though it's not as solid as some of the other ones, being a double album means it has more songs that I like. I can't stand Revolution 9 though. Also love Julia, Helter Skelter, Everybody's Got Something To Except For Me And My Monkey (best song title...ever! ), Revolution, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Don't Pass Me By, Bungalo Bill, Rocky Raccoon. Better stop there, or I'll list every one of them. I'm having second thoughts now about voting for Abbey Road, but then I think about all the great songs on it. I could go in circles like this forever.

This is why I haven't voted yet! I'm so torn between The White Album and Abbey Road a;lskfjlaughet'. Revolver is also close behind... For No One always tears me up.

The Beatles are just too amazing. Each album is kind of in a league of it's own. They are all number one!

Awh hey... don't say that! I appreciate their early stuff, too!

This is why I haven't voted yet! I'm so torn between The White Album and Abbey Road a;lskfjlaughet'. Revolver is also close behind... For No One always tears me up.

The Beatles are just too amazing. Each album is kind of in a league of it's own. They are all number one!

Yeah, I was gonna be sad if there was no love for the White Album... :boot:

• 2 weeks later...

I wanna hold your hand is genius. Firstly, ina time when every rock song ot hit the airwaves were three chords, that song is eight chords. But more importantly, it is brilliant to write lyrics that SOUND like

It's such a feeling that my love

I can't hide, I can't hide, I can't hide

But are actually

It's such a feeling that my love

I get high, I get high, I get high

I don't care what anybody says, it's true

"They were doing things nobody was doing. Their chords were outrageous, just outrageous, and their harmonies made it all valid."

-Bob Dylan, in reference to "I Wanna Hold your Hand"

Not to mention that the hooks are solid, and the Beatles sonic wall vocal harmonies that were rivaled by none with the exception of the Beach Boys Their rockers from that era (Rock N' Roll Music, I Saw Her Standing There, Twist & Shout, I Wanna Be Your Man, It Won't Be Long) were higher energy than anything else out there, and they did great blues tunes too. It's easy to dismiss on the surface, but there's a damn good reason those early records changed music.

Edited by Jack's Meandering Thoughts

"genius" the most overused word in the english language. the idea of "i want to hold your hand" being a genius song is laughable.

so they made the word hide sound like high, thats an amazing achievment. truly, if i was looking for just one definition of the word genius that would be it, making one four letter word sound like another four letter word.

the structure of the early songs? made a differnece to modern music yes, but their true impact is'nt felt until the far greater later albums.

as for their "great blues tunes", they're nothing but an insult to the true blues legends. No, the only good blues song the beatles did is "yer blues" which, oh my god is on the white album. which is what? that's right a late album.

Name one old song which is better than anything post rubber soul (leaving out the horrific "revolution 9")

to set the record straight i did'nt say the beatles were'nt genius'. i said "i want to hold your hand " was'nt. genius songs are "bold as love" (instrumental) by jimi hendrix, "riders on the storm" by the doors, "achilles last stand" by led zeppelin, "what in the world" by rory gallagher and "i want you (she's so heavy)" by the beatles. i DO love the beatles, i just hate their early stuff.

I've heard this said about the early Beatles stuff a million times, and I gotta say, I think people are opposed to the idea of liking it. And Achilles' Last Stand is overblown. I love the Zep, and the song is not without it's moments, but it's merits fall short of it's ambitions. Give me Since I've Been Loving You over Achilles' Last Stand any day of the week.

Heh. Bigger onna early stuff than the drug-hazed laters, but to be honest I'm not here to discuss the Beatles. I'm marvelling at the fact that in the short space've time ASC's been here she's taken on both Jax & 2T with the fiery niavette of Dodge in his early days. Y'know, before 2T made it his mission to feed him his bits one post at a time...

Still, this is intriguing. Continue.

i thought my name might cause some confusion. although i cant think of anything id like in the world more than my very own pair of breasts, alas this is not the case, i am a beer-bellied, hairy man.

alive she cried is a line from a doors song, maybe i should change my name to "when the musics over".

jack its not that im opposed to the idea of liking early beatles, did you ever think that it's possible for someone to just not like it?

oh and i agree, about since i've been loving you. it is better than achilles last stand. don't know why i chose it, it was just first zep song that came to mind. my fav zep song is babe im gonna leave you. but that's a comment for a different thread.

maybe someone should do a best zep album poll

asc, jax finds it hard to see the logic in someone disagreeing with what he says.. take a gander in the politics forum.. its strewn with bitchery from him and a leftist him who both piss an moan at each other over disagreements...

i somewhat agree with you, in the sense that the earlier beatles stuff is not genius, its good, but it's nothing on the likes of sgt peppers

oh and i agree, about since i've been loving you. it is better than achilles last stand. don't know why i chose it, it was just first zep song that came to mind. my fav zep song is babe im gonna leave you. but that's a comment for a different thread.

maybe someone should do a best zep album poll

Haha, that's my favorite zep song too (tied with The Battle of Evermore), but I've ben listening to LZIII recently, and Since I've Been Lovng You came to mind. Also, That's The Way and Tangerine of that album kick ass.

It would take a pretty damn cool person to make a Led Zeppelin Album poll. Pretty damn cool, indeed. You cna also check out the Zep song poll, but it was made back int eh early days when polls had no mroe than 10 choices, it was not as cool as the album poll.