Hondo's Bar

TMNT Movie Review

tmnt01b.jpg

OK, so I saw the new CGI Turtles movie yesterday, and I had alot of fun.

It kept with wise-cracking and humor that made the show so great, kept the lighting dark mostly to keep it from looking rediculous, made Raphael angry like in the movie, not as wise-ass as in the show. The character conflict between Leo and Raph takes center stage and they at one point trade blows and it's a great scene. Fan favorite Casey Jones is there too. The plot surrounding the bad guy is, in typical Turtles fashion, rediculous, which is great. The movie makes no real effort to tell the origin story (30 second voiceover, placing the timeline after the defeat of Shredder), which weighs down alot of these types of hero movies, they instead assume you already know the characters well. Minor spoiler:

They have fun with the idea that while Leo is away, they have to take menial day jobs, like Don being a tech support call guy.

These guys didn't try to reinvent the concept. Everything that was always great about the Turtles is at the heart of this movie, which better cinematography and fight choreography. If you loved the Turtles growing up (suck it, Nick!), this movie will have everything you remember loving about it.

Safe for taking kids along with as well.

9 out of 10 half shells.

Okay so is it more like the old cartoon or the new cartoon would you say?

I find it strange that the cartoon I consider least lame is the one that has the line "Heroes in a half shell, turtle power!" in the theme song but I feel the new one takes itself too seriously which makes it more campy.

Obviously it's nothing like the origional comics but why would it be? So if you were to pick one it was more like, which one would it be?

I've never seen the new one, but I remember seeing promos for it, and it basically looked like a typical cliched TV executive's idea that the best way to sell to kids it to make it EXTREME!!!

Basically, other that Raph acting like the Live Action movie version of himself (angry Raph) instead of the laidback wise cracking smartass Raph of the show, it felt most like the old show.

People have to stop hating on the new cartoon. especially if you have'nt seen it. the new cartoon (well the first season anyway that's the only one i've seen) is really good, and is one of the best non-comedy* kids shows i've seen

non-comedy = stuff like x-men, gargoyles, batman. although they may have comedy elements, the main story is (for a kids show) serious.

I liked the movie a lot. It opens up possibilities for more movies, for sure. Those who have seen it: did it feel a little to short? Like a long episode, but not a movie? One of our friends felt this way, but overall our group that night were happy with the overall movie. Splinter's cool. :)

Haven't seen it yet, but the animation looked a lot like the comics I used to read. Has anyone seen it that read the old TMNT graphic novels?

I have, they were great quite unlike any other incarnation of them that we've seen. It's sad we'll never see those turtles on the big screen, some of those were bloody as hell.

I could be slightly drunk but here goes...the Review...by uhh...Dr. Girlfriend...god help her.

YAY!!! we took the kiddo to see TMNT the other day. seriously, i was the biggest dork in the whole world for these little reptillian ninja's back in the day before i even knew what pubes were. It's so cool to see my own kid lovin' the TMNT a much as i did. i'm so glad that they made this movie, the turtles deserve the love. The animation was modern, refreshing, they kept true to the charecters and added a new spin, don't expect to see the same ol shit with this movie, they add new twists, a few laughs, and a touch of darkness.

Even April has been updated from the newsreporter she used to be, and stands pretty cool in my book in her own right. A new enemy faces the brothers, which is pretty cool, and it totally sets up for a sequel (i can hope!).

So yeah, it's fun, greeen and it kicks a mean machine.

SEE IT!

(i never read the comic books BTW...in fact i didn't even know they were comics until years after i outgrew them)

Amen to that. I've prolly mentioned this before, but when i was a kid I boycotted the Simpsons for a full year & a half 'cause I felt it overshadowed TMNT and that wasn't right. Maybe if I'd held out longer the original woulda stayed on the air...

Archived