Hondo's Bar

The Host

hostUSposter.jpg

Junker recommended it; its a fun Korean monster flick in the vein of Godzilla. There's the usual amount of anti-americana (and it works) but the focus is on one particular family and its dealings with the...the thing. Im shit at reviewing today, likely in general, so there's not much more i can add. Its fun.

Hell yes, this movie rules. Great characters, pacing, camerawork, the whole movie just gels together really well. It's everything that Roland Emmerich's "Godzilla" wasn't and more. Those Koreans sure are getting good at this, aren't they?

I have really wanted to see this, it looks very interesting and even if I do hate giant monster movies I find myself wanting to see this one.

(I also cannot stop air guitaring because Nick had to reference a fucking Blue Oyster Cult song)

Well, this stuff is in no way new, but one of my favorite directors from over yonder is Shinya Tsukumoto. Track down "Tetsuo" (aka Tetsuo: The iron man) or "Tokyo Fist" on Netflix; his stuff is not quite as accesible; but holy shit, these are some of the most intense films you'll ever see; it's like inviting a Japanese guys over to beat your ass with a lead pipe for 80 minutes. But in a good way.

• 11 months later...
I can't wait till dubbed version!

Panch no reed two gud.

The Host is brilliant. Funny as balls as well.

Good call on "Tetsuo" by Junker. Only seen that, then spotted on the box of "A Snake In June" that it was directed by that dude so I gave it a shot and it was pretty decent as well.

Archived