Hondo's Bar

Reaper

Reaper_-_intertitle.jpg

This is a great new show on the CW in the US. I'm afraid show is doomed for cancellation, because one of the biggest factors in deciding whether of not to renew a show is what the rating were relative to it's lead-in (show that air comes before on the schedules), and it's lead-in is Beauty and the Geek, a reality show about models living in a house with dorks. I don't think it's the same demo.

Anyway, it is centered around the character Sam, a 21 year old who lives with his parents and works at a Home Depot-esque hardware store. Among turning 21, he finds out his parents stole his soul to the devil and as of age 21, he has to work for the devil as a bounter hunter of escaped souls wrecking havoc on Earth.

Keven Smith directed the pilot and is a creative consultant on the show, and his touch can be felt in the Clerksy characters and Clerksy dialog. Basically, this kinda feels like Dogma: The Show. If you like Dogma, watch this show.

The devil, played by sharp-dressed Ray Wise, who has a tendency to appear out of thin air and freak out Sam, was a brilliant casting.

Watch it Tuesdays at 9pm.

Yes, Sock is a textbook Kevin Smith sidekick (Randall, Brodie, Banky), and when I said Smith's touch could be felt in the show, no where is that more evident than in Sock.

One of my favorite quotes...

Sock: I don't see what the problem is. You finally found something that your good at.

Sam: I’m good at stuff, okay. Other stuff. Right?

:long silence:

Sock: Yeah...you do rock the house at Guitar Hero.

Sam: That’s what I’m talking about!

Well, in regards to my cynicism about reaper being canceled soon, I found this out.

It's second episode got 2.81 million viewers, a 16,000 viewer jump from it's lead in, Beauty and the Geek, which got 2.65 million. I wasn't able to get rating info for BatG for any other night, but of the 5 nights Reaper has aired, it's best night was 3.25M and its worse was 2.57M. This is all good news for the future fo the sow. It will definitely get the full season (which it probably would have anyway being a CW show), and if ratings climb just a little bit, they'll probably renew the series soon after the first shooting the first season.

You see, the premise bored me... most likely because it's on the CW which pumped out some of the most rancid shitty TV shows I've ever seen (and shows I kept watching and still do without quite understanding why. Damn you Smallville, you're repetitive and stupid, yet I watch you religiously...)

Tuesdays at 9... I will have to watch this.

Reaper is not a cookie cutter teen CW show. Like I said, it feels like a Kevin Smith project. And I feel the same way about Smallville. What I don't understand is that Smallville is supposed to be in Kansas, and Metropolis is a coastal city (most DC comic alude to it being a NYCesque city), yet they make Smallville seem like a suburb. Damn you smallville, make more sense!

Smallville is a lot like Buffy the Vampire Slayer in that it's really good with some bad mixed in. First of all, every character should be mentally retarded now due to several head traumas. I think Clark could actually beat Lana within an inch of her life and she would forgive him within 3 episodes.

Better question: If Smallville is in Kansas then what the fuck is Aquaman doing there? What is he going to summon a school of trout to stop the bad guys?

Aquaman has never made sense. The semi-JL thing was cool for a few seconds until your realize it's not JL, it's Superman and the second banana squadron.

This week's episode of Reaper was great. Patton Oswald as the psycho-babbling therapy-addicted escaped soul of President McKinley's assassin was superb. The fight between Sam and Sock seemed genuine, not forced like many TV show fights between best friends. And the devil hating Halloween, well done.

Yeah, I saw that preview. Looks good. Any guesses as to when Andy will be brought into the loop? Season 1 finale? Season 2 premiere? Several seasons in when the formula's gotten stale? Also, any theories about Sam's father tearing out the page from that contract? Loophole perhaps?

• 4 months later...

So the show is back with it's first new episode written since the end of the writer's strike, which aired Thursday (its new regular night). That was the 11th episode and there are 7 more to complete the season.

It seems they are foreshadowing that there might be some dangerous consequence for Sam as a result of his

dating a women he knows damn well is probably the spawn of Satan

, but honestly, how could he have foreseen that coming back to bite him in the ass?

• 2 weeks later...

Those that like this show would do well to get caught up, because things are just starting to get interesting now. It's starting to look like they are putting events into motion to lead up to a really interesting season finale. Michael Ian Black and Ken Marino look like they might not be throw-away characters in their roles as

gay demons

Archived