Hondo's Bar

Heavy Rain: The Origami Killer

The NZA

Heavy_rain.png

So yeah, french studio Quantic Dream (know for Indigo Prophecy / Farenheit and Omikron - the first was an awesome murder-mystery adventure game, the latter ive still yet to play - have had a project announced since almost the PS3's inception, and considering theyre promising to cross the uncanny valley, theyve set themselves up for a tall order.

That said, this was an early "casting" demo from E3 2006 that caught my eye:

yeah, not clearing the valley yet, but if youve seen the company's love of cinema from Indigo Prophecy, you'll share my excitement for the direction.

Most recently, to prove their working on making things more human, a quick face/eye movement demo was released:

...and since then, just waiting for details. Anyway, no idea if it's got any chances of a 2008 release, but along with Metal Gear Solid 4 and LittleBigPlanet, i sure hope so.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The eye/face demo did nothing for me, as the eyes/face looked fine in the first video. it was her mouth that looked off and the movements therein.

Anyhow, I loved Indigo Prophecy even if it did have one of the most off the wall stories i have ever seen and some of the simon sequences were more annoying than dynamic.

The eye/face demo did nothing for me, as the eyes/face looked fine in the first video. it was her mouth that looked off and the movements therein.

Anyhow, I loved Indigo Prophecy even if it did have one of the most off the wall stories i have ever seen and some of the simon sequences were more annoying than dynamic.

i pretty much agree with alla that; the mouth is what threw me off of an otherwise fine performance that i enjoyed, and wanna see more of.

Indigo's story did indeed start off quite cool and at some point between

future cyborgs and mayans or something, not to mention necrophillia

went batshit fucking insane, and yes, the dragon's lair "EVERY ACTION GAME SINCE SHENMUE MUST DO THIS, YOU HEAR ME GOD OF WAR?!" controls were fun at some points for me, like when your apartment's going to hell, but at others - like playing a basketball game - christ, i wanted to skip them.

i pretty much agree with alla that; the mouth is what threw me off of an otherwise fine performance that i enjoyed, and wanna see more of.

Indigo's story did indeed start off quite cool and at some point between

future cyborgs and mayans or something, not to mention necrophillia

went batshit fucking insane, and yes, the dragon's lair "EVERY ACTION GAME SINCE SHENMUE MUST DO THIS, YOU HEAR ME GOD OF WAR?!" controls were fun at some points for me, like when your apartment's going to hell, but at others - like playing a basketball game - christ, i wanted to skip them.

I don't know my personal favorite part of the story was that

All hobos are part of a secret society (one that apparently loves wine and crack!)that's been watching the world for the day that a Mayan priest, an undead psychic super hero who looks vaguely Asian despite the fact that his entire biological family is white, and an Artificial Intelligence system that looks vaguely like Charade from Soul Calibur 2 walk into a bar.

Even the basketball sequence didn't bother me so much (though I do wanna play the European version as I hear there's a sex minigame that involves thrusting in and out to rhythm and it makes me laugh uncontrollably thinking about it), but when I had to do it so I could you know... make it through a lengthy cutscene that I wasn't that interested in but needed for plot development, it got tedious.

Yeah, it did. Bishopcruz has the version you're referring to; if you check this link, i believe he got it for PC unedited. if you want a copy, ill find out if he can swing it.

and yes, the plot detail you cited there was so silly, i kinda repressed it. But i still got love for the game, that says a lot. It also says if this game starts with that first video and ends with Tobias Bruckner, laser-shooting-dinosaur-riding cowboy from the future of Turok: Evolution fame fighting an ancient celtic demi-god in the form of He-Man's Orko, but made of hemp, i kinda have to give it a pass, too.

No, my computer would quick possibly implode in upon it self leaving a residue of dark nega-energy all over my desk. I'll wait until I have enough money to build the monolith from 2001 from the rarest of metals forged by the dwarves in the fires of Mordor. That can run everything but Crysis.

No game again shall end with Tobias Bruckner, the world will end if it does.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Oh shit, Heavy Rain's getting coverage at Germany's Leipzig show, and apparnetly now, its its a horror/noir game. That is such awesome news to me.

more awesome news is the forthcoming demo and DLC later on. This could be another one of the really great exclusives, and hopefully brings Quantic the kind of attention they deserve.

im also hoping the ending doesnt go batshit crazy. Was just tryin out Omikron the other day, oddly.

• 1 month later...
Oh shit, Heavy Rain's getting coverage at Germany's Leipzig show, and apparnetly now, its its a horror/noir game. That is such awesome news to me.

I'd actually consider going for something like that over Wrath of the Lich King...

DoJ - omikron 2's good news, finally found 1 for dreamcast, gotta get more into it sometime.

this one had talk about the show of a forthcoming demo, i assure you ill post & be all over it when a date is locked down.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Gameplay trailers are up! Watch em in HD!

Do you think the technology you bought from Vicon has paid off? Is it delivering to your expectation?

Having an in-house full MoCap system is a rare luxury for a developer. We made this choice seven years ago and we never regretted it. We developed unique techniques, we learnt how to shoot, how to direct actors, we experimented everything we could (from ice skating to walking in a crowd), we learnt how to produce insane amount of high quality animations in an acceptable time frame (and an affordable cost…), which I believe will be one of the strong points of HR. We also invested in our proprietary facial animation technology which will give unprecedented results in a game.

Most of all, we understood that MoCap was the easiest part of the process. The real challenges are about organization and pipelines, directing actors, and how you make your animations and characters fit.

MoCap becomes more and more a strategic technology for developers and for the type of games we create in particular. Depending on someone else for such an important part was just not possible. Also, I guess the cost of the 12 hours of MoCap we had in Fahrenheit would have paid the system, so it was definitely the right choice to buy it instead ;-)

HR will put the bar high regarding animation. It is probably the game using the most animations ever made: we shot for seven months every day, with a total of 50 actors and stuntmen. The final game will feature more than 15 000 unique animations. In the game, almost every single action is unique as everything is contextual.

Fahrenheit delved into some quite fantastical territory– will Heavy Rain do the same, or is the story more grounded?

Heavy Rain is about real people in a real world confronted to real problems. No sci-fi, no magic, no supernatural powers. I think our media is now ready for more subtle stories. We don’t need to save the world or destroy the evil monster to tell something exciting anymore. I thought I had to in Fahrenheit to make the game spectacular, but I realized that the best part of the game was when it was grounded. It made me realize that reality could be just as exciting as fantasy, and that most people would probably relate more easily to characters and situations that are closer to what they know and who they are.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Kotaku's impressions of the game's first few chapters

...so i read through about half of it and decided i really didnt want to spoil any part of a game im pretty much already sold on. that said, now more than ever, it really doesnt sound like its for everybody: though the tone is said to be quite dark, the pacing (at least at this part) looks quite slow. this is definitely one i'm looking forward to taking my time through over a weekend or so.

CE details

500x_heavybox.jpg

http://kotaku.com/tag/heavyrain/

Heavy Rain's pre-order DLC in the US won't be pre-order DLC in Europe. Instead, it'll be part of the Heavy Rain: Collector's Edition box set. Yes, Sony are going all-out in the game's home market, offering the game in a "specially embossed" box (to make it look like it's been rained on) that includes episode 1 of the Heavy Rain Chronicles, the game's soundtrack and a dynamic XMB theme for your PS3.

By 2009 standards (well, 2010's), that's pretty thin for a special edition. What, no collectible vinyl of that woman sobbing in her kitchen, gun in her mouth?

the pre-order Chronicles short stories sound interesting, but i need a price on that box before i make up my mind.

Archived