Hondo's Bar

Devil May Cry 4

Maldron

There’s something to be said for doing something differently for an audience of people who react negatively to change. Capcom took a big risk by relegating the series regular Dante to a secondary role and introducing a new character into the mix, but I personally feel it paid off. Devil May Cry 4 seeks to reinvent and reintroduce the series to a new set of gamers, and it manages to do so beautifully.

Starting superficially, the graphics are stunning, with a few minor complaints. As is the plague of the genre, you rarely fight amidst the sweeping vistas you witness. A great gothic castle, a marvelous vast jungle, all seen from a distance only to disappoint with the fact that you spend your time fighting in narrow passages and walled-off arenas. That said, the passages and the monsters are graphically well-made, and the look is certainly that of a well-made next-generation game. Save for a single room, light and shadow play well to create an authentic atmosphere. There are occasions where the frame rate started to slow down, but in my experience that was only in instances when there were a large number of enemies on the screen and I was performing flashy attacks. But putting that aside, the game is definitely beautiful to look at.

The game’s story isn’t all that deep. There are arrogant religious practitioners with aspirations of world domination, a main character who wants to protect and save a girl, and an antagonist that later becomes an ally. The story is hardly anything new, but good voice acting and good character animation sells what there is to see.

The meat of the game is the combat, and this is where Capcom has refused to disappoint. Nero, the new character, only receives one melee and one ranged weapon through the game, but his sword “Red Queen” introduces a new system called Exceed. The sword has a motor attached, which when revved up adds fire to Nero’s attack for increased damage. This revving can be done manually, which takes around nine presses of the revving button to fill three gauges, but gauges can also be done instantly with well-timed presses in the middle of your attacks. This system is later expanded with an additional ability which allows all three gauges to fill when you hit a less forgiving frame window, creating even more potential for carnage. There are a few attacks which consume all available gauges whose power and animations are increased – for instance, a forward charging slash that covers a half-circle in front of you uncharged becomes imbued with fire after one gauge, and an additional fiery slash is added for each additional gauge that is charged. It’s a simple way to make Nero’s moveset more complex and rewarding for the player willing to invest the time, and it’s a marvelous addition to the series.

In addition to his sword and gun, Nero’s right arm holds demonic power which allows him to grab, slam, and pull himself towards the enemies he encounters. It allows him to control the battlefield and keep up his attacks, and it’s satisfying to watch what you can do to bosses when they get stunned. Proper use of this Devil Bringer power becomes important in keeping yourself alive and keeping enemies under control.

Dante does makes a return, as does his same sword moveset, a slightly altered gauntlet moveset, and a completely new weapon called Lucifer. Lucifer is a fun weapon to use, as you stick your enemies with up to 15 swords capable of exploding on command. These swords can also be summoned to you as protection or launched at enemies, allowing for some fun new combo possibilities. A new gun with multiple forms is introduced as well, which is satisfying to use, to say the least. To say more, it can transform into a laser cannon that tears across the screen. Dante’s weapons make up for some of the flashier abilities of Nero by being incredibly powerful – where Nero would use his arm to attack stunned bosses, Dante can tear through them. The game also introduces the ability to switch Dante’s styles, introduced in DMC3, on the fly with a press of the D-pad, allowing the player to be slightly more versatile. Altogether though, little new is brought to Dante as a character. We’ve used the gauntlets and the sword with him before, and the fact that they chose to repeat them only indicates a degree of laziness on their part.

In addition to the perceived laziness in Dante’s weapon design, his missions feel lazy as well. When you switch control to Dante, you proceed to retrace the steps you took as Nero, going through the exact same areas. That’s right; you go backwards through the missions, fighting the same bosses in the reverse order with a different character. That just screams laziness, and despite the fact I had fun, it still feels like a cheat on their part.

All said, Devil May Cry 4 is a fun addition to the series with the same level of difficulty I’ve come to expect from the franchise. It is technically more forgiving in its difficulty than DMC3 was, but looking back at how hard that game was it’s probably a good thing. Though not as impressive as was promised, as at one point they stated the game would have more weapons than all the other previous DMC games combined, it is a solid entry in the series which paves the way for future installments to improve upon.

No takers, huh? Irish made it sound like everybody he knew under the sun was playing it. I was at least expecting a "you suck" from somewhere. Could've sworn I've pissed somebody off by now.

I absolutely love this game. I've been waiting for it since the third came out, and I've been eating up everything I can with it. I've completed all six difficulty modes, I've completed S-ranks for two modes out of the four that are tracked, and I'm fourth in America in the Bloody Palace survival mode. Eighty hours in, and I'm still plugging away.

I've always loved this series above the competitors. Seriously, I'm glad to finally have it.

You suck.

I have not played this yet but I had no idea that Dante had been replaced as leading man. I now realize this is because Nero looks almost exactly like Dante. That's my Capcom, they've got the balls to bring in a new character as lead just not enough to make him look any different than the old character.

But surprise surprise kids, this isn't me bitching about something. This game looks fun and I firmly look forward to playing it when I get a chance. Besides, Nero can't be any worse than what's-her-name from Devil May Cry 2.

You suck.

I have not played this yet but I had no idea that Dante had been replaced as leading man. I now realize this is because Nero looks almost exactly like Dante. That's my Capcom, they've got the balls to bring in a new character as lead just not enough to make him look any different than the old character.

But surprise surprise kids, this isn't me bitching about something. This game looks fun and I firmly look forward to playing it when I get a chance. Besides, Nero can't be any worse than what's-her-name from Devil May Cry 2.

Her name was Lucia. And yeah, she was horrible. I played through her missions as Trish.

Hell, I played through Dante's missions as Trish. -.- At least Trish could use Ifrit's old moves by sticking Sparda in the ground, Dante had nothing but the three different swords. Spent all his missions using guns, really annoying.

And thank you for the insult.

Well, i bought Collectors Edition of this game Day 0 (got it a day early @ gamestop) and it does indeed rock. The main character swapping I didn't mind so much cuz I can use Dante in the Bloody Palace. But by the end of the game, I realized that it's much easier to play with Nero due to the devil bringer. Great cut scenes, good music and voice acting...overall I liked it very much. I'm just upset I couldn't play with Lady or Trish. But knowing Capcom, they'll probably make it a DLC pack at some point. I refused to believe that they just modeled and animated these chicks for the sake of Ass n' Tittes. If so, i applaud the effort, but Boo the execution. Alright, that's enough from me.

Well, i bought Collectors Edition of this game Day 0 (got it a day early @ gamestop) and it does indeed rock. The main character swapping I didn't mind so much cuz I can use Dante in the Bloody Palace. But by the end of the game, I realized that it's much easier to play with Nero due to the devil bringer. Great cut scenes, good music and voice acting...overall I liked it very much. I'm just upset I couldn't play with Lady or Trish. But knowing Capcom, they'll probably make it a DLC pack at some point. I refused to believe that they just modeled and animated these chicks for the sake of Ass n' Tittes. If so, i applaud the effort, but Boo the execution. Alright, that's enough from me.

It's definitely easier, no question, the only difficulty with Nero is the revving, which is a choice you make or not, depending on your preferences. Dante has the new Lucifer, a new trick involving gilgamesh and using the devil trigger to get an extra hit of damage on rising impact - Dante's tricks all require a large degree of devotion, wheras Nero only really needs one to be marvelous.

Kobayashi has gone on record as stating that there won't be DLC, but Capcom has technically already sold 2 million copies. They'll probably realize, at some point or another, that there's some serious money to be made, and make some. However, I'm not holding on to too much hope.

If there were... Trish is a more likely candidate than Lady.

i love the "my thread got no love for like 12 hours!" crowd.

good review, the demo felt more like the fun of the original title for me and it seems a lot of that's here. still, i hear maldron's 4th place in the US right now, with no pics to back it. :wolvy:

It's definitely easier, no question, the only difficulty with Nero is the revving, which is a choice you make or not, depending on your preferences. Dante has the new Lucifer, a new trick involving gilgamesh and using the devil trigger to get an extra hit of damage on rising impact - Dante's tricks all require a large degree of devotion, wheras Nero only really needs one to be marvelous. Kobayashi has gone on record as stating that there won't be DLC, but Capcom has technically already sold 2 million copies. They'll probably realize, at some point or another, that there's some serious money to be made, and make some. However, I'm not holding on to too much hope. If there were... Trish is a more likely candidate than Lady.

Well, the rev thing isn't that big of a deal to me (being a fighting game person, my timing isnt bad). That's actually what made Nero fun in my eyes. And for those who choose not to rev are missing out. Like I said, i wasn't upset about the whole "Dante's taking a backseat" thing. i can always practice up in the Bloody Palace. Plus, its just more fun to play with him because of his vast arsenal.

On the Kobayashi note. FUCK! i thought I read otherwise...oh well. And yeah, they better realize that DLC is a smart move. I don't wanna have to go buy DEVIL MAY CRY 4: TURBO

...But I like Lady. Plus, she's hotter.As a side note...i feel jipped on the CE. I honestly though I was getting a COMPLETE artbook AND sountrack. The tin case was cool though....the anime I've had for months....that is all.

i love the "my thread got no love for like 12 hours!" crowd.good review, the demo felt more like the fun of the original title for me and it seems a lot of that's here. still, i hear maldron's 4th place in the US right now, with no pics to back it. :wolvy:

Well, I gots the game for when you wanna play it. But Im sure ur busy with ur achievements and whatnots. You let me know.

As a side note...i feel jipped on the CE. I honestly though I was getting a COMPLETE artbook AND sountrack. The tin case was cool though....the anime I've had for months....that is all.

Yeah, I passed on the CE too, mostly because I had the anime and I knew it wasn't going to be a complete soundtrack. Or even a music CD, for that matter, which is fairly crap. What they gave wasn't worth a twenty.

It was a bump, not a cry for love, Irish. You know when I'm begging for attention because I literally do so.

Dammit, im going to have to borrow Losifer's copy or just go to his house, load it up, and take a pic of Maldron's 4th place in the US cause i still stand that its an awesome trophy and he should immortalize it.

seriously, i think the Hot Costners broke top 40,000 in Rock Band, and my sad, waning Rez Efforts even got topped. Hondo's gaming efforts shall be carried on the backs of newbies if nothin' else.

Dammit, im going to have to borrow Losifer's copy or just go to his house, load it up, and take a pic of Maldron's 4th place in the US cause i still stand that its an awesome trophy and he should immortalize it.

seriously, i think the Hot Costners broke top 40,000 in Rock Band, and my sad, waning Rez Efforts even got topped. Hondo's gaming efforts shall be carried on the backs of newbies if nothin' else.

Whelp, only Accomplishment left in the game is to S-rank all of the Dante Must Die missions, and I'm at least halfway through that right now. After that... I might try to get a better Bloody Palace rank.

I really hope this translates into Home trophies when the time comes. I've put a lot of work into getting this stuff.

Whelp, only Accomplishment left in the game is to S-rank all of the Dante Must Die missions, and I'm at least halfway through that right now. After that... I might try to get a better Bloody Palace rank.

Wow Maldron!

You are my hero!

Been a big fan of the series since the first. I have to say, four has recaptured my passion in a way the other entrys failed. I beat every mode in the first one, but couldn't bring myself to even finish the second one once (I still go back everyonce and a while thinking, "I need to finish that...it couldn't have been as bad as I remember.....ugh") Three was definatly a return to grace, and I loved it, but I only played it once really.

Now four has reignited my fevor. I've been playing the hell out of this since release. Didn't see your post til now because, well, I've been playing the hell out of this since release. About 45 hours in. Finished on devil hunter, son of sparda, dante must die and heaven and hell. Completed Bloody palace using Super Dante (Cheap, I know). Almost done with Human and going to attempt to tackle Hell and Hell after that. I've got the million orbs, all items, all blues, all purples, speak of the devil and a few other achievements. Thinking Hell and Hell will be doable by using Super characters and burning through my holy water stocks. Any advice on proud millionare, and hell and hell mode?

nay sir, im taking john's assassin's creed

It's all yours Nick...My dreams of rounding out my 1000 points on that one will have to hold at 980 for now (Stupid Lucy). Too many games right now. Have at it, and by the time you're done I'll hopefully have time for another run through to grab that conversationalist achievement.

Wow Maldron!

You are my hero!

Been a big fan of the series since the first. I have to say, four has recaptured my passion in a way the other entrys failed. I beat every mode in the first one, but couldn't bring myself to even finish the second one once (I still go back everyonce and a while thinking, "I need to finish that...it couldn't have been as bad as I remember.....ugh") Three was definatly a return to grace, and I loved it, but I only played it once really.

Now four has reignited my fevor. I've been playing the hell out of this since release. Didn't see your post til now because, well, I've been playing the hell out of this since release. About 45 hours in. Finished on devil hunter, son of sparda, dante must die and heaven and hell. Completed Bloody palace using Super Dante (Cheap, I know). Almost done with Human and going to attempt to tackle Hell and Hell after that. I've got the million orbs, all items, all blues, all purples, speak of the devil and a few other achievements. Thinking Hell and Hell will be doable by using Super characters and burning through my holy water stocks. Any advice on proud millionare, and hell and hell mode?

Love you too, Spacey. Sorry it took me so long to remember I did, though. I'm guessing, since I don't see you pop up on my DMC4 screen, that you're playing the 360 version. :p Flying in the face of tradition, quite strange.

It's impossible to get "King of the Palace" using a Super character, as they cost you any chance of reaching the S-rank. Personally I'd use Nero to fight your way down, he's just.... easier for me, really. It's rewarding to beat the palace with a regular character though, so good luck on that.

Proud Millionaire came to me while I was playing through the game for S-ranks on missions. It took a long time of normal play to procure, however, I find a lot of playing is preferable to a lot of farming. Still, farming can be done on M20. Kill Sanctus but retry the mission right before it goes to cutscene, it should grab you 2000 or so proud orbs. Its a bitch to force yourself to repeat it adnauseum, so, I wouldn't recommend it. Still, I did it for Red Orb Millionaire by replaying mission seven.

Hell and Hell I just used super characters and it was a piece of cake. Wasn't ranked, so it wasn't worth forcing the issue for me. <.<

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the tips Maldron!

And yes, I feel like a traitor playing the 360 version. I realize now what an achievement whore I've become (*sob*). My brother actually bought it for PS3, and I keep telling myself that if they implement some nifty HOME trophies I will play through again on the ps3 version. We'll see...don't know if that will ever happen.

I'm thinking, after playing a little of DMC1 and kinda liking it, and never playing another until DMC4, I maybe shoulda just bit the bullet and played hoo-man mode insteada devil Hunter. Fighting spoiler* in chapter 10 is kicking my over-confident arse, much the same as starting the Club in Insane made a woman of me until I bit the metaphorical pillow and rocked back to simply 'reckless'.

Archived