Hondo's Bar

Complete Albums

This isn't a thread about whole albums you have. What its about is, albums you can listen to and think every song on it is brilliant, and have no urge or want to skip it on the album, albums that you can stick on in any mood in any situation, and they just work, albums you think everyone should listen to, despite their musical tastes. At the moment, all that comes to mind are two albums, in my opinion.

The first, is O.K. Computer. Radioheads finest hour in my opinion, from the first second to the last, its a cacophony of fantastic musical layering, eerie lyrics and guitar riffs and peaks at the awe inspiring electioneering. This is something most people on the boards will have had contact with and have listened to, and probably, hopefully, think of it the same way i do.

The second, is a little more out of left field. Its The Smell of Rain, by Mortiis, a norwegan dark wave/industrial artist. This is something nobody will have really had any contact with. The funny thing about this album is, the first time i heard it, i didn't like it, i thought it was a watered down nine inch nails with some choir, but like so many things in life, i was wrong, upon second listening, it grabbed me instantly, from the intro of Parasite God, the progressing bass and choir, his voice, the noir of it almost had me in love with it by the first song, the rest was equally mesmerizing, if not moreso. I'd reccomend this album to anyone and hope at least someone downloads it...

Anyone else got any albums like this?

The madding Crowd by nine day, I can go through that entire album and just have a good time listening to it. Right now though I"m on a big Jonathan Coulton kick with his comedy songs which are all great stuff(he's the guy who wrote still alive!) but outside of that It's normally pretty hard to find a cd I can just put in and not have to change thats not a greatest hits album or something I've put together myself.

it's tough to find albums that fit all your criteria, for example "electric ladyland" by jimi hendrix would be in my top three of all time but has one or two average songs.

so this is what i have following your rules

Kid A by Radiohead

my favourite radiohead and electronic album

"everything in it's right place"

Alice by Tom Waits

waits' best album. if you're thinkin' of gettin' into waits this is the album to check out.i listened to this every night when going to bed for about three weeks straight

"reeperbahn"

Led Zeppelin by Led Zeppelin

quite possibly the greatest album of all time by quite possibly the greatest band of all time

"babe i'm gonna leave you"

Paranoid by Black Sabbath

without doubt the best metal album ever

"iron man"

The Doors by The Doors

at the moment my favourite album

"end of the night"

p.s. great thread doj

Nas - Illmatic

Wu-Tang - Enter the 36 Chambers

A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Marauders (even the obligatory skits are like 20 seconds or so)

Notorious B.I.G. - Ready to Die

Chicane - Behind the Sun, Far from the Maddening Crowds

Michael Jackson - Thriller, Off the Wall, much of Dangerous

Garbage - 2.0

Orbital - Orbital

prolly The Matrix and Crow soundtracks, and other shit im forgetting.

Nas - Illmatic

Wu-Tang - Enter the 36 Chambers

A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Marauders (even the obligatory skits are like 20 seconds or so)

Notorious B.I.G. - Ready to Die

Chicane - Behind the Sun, Far from the Maddening Crowds

Michael Jackson - Thriller, Off the Wall, much of Dangerous

Garbage - 2.0

Orbital - Orbital

prolly The Matrix and Crow soundtracks, and other shit im forgetting.

the only one of yours that i know is thriller which is a great album,

how about linking some youtube vids?

This thread rocks.

Virtually any of Tori's albums are awesome for complete non-skipping listening. Little Earthquakes, Under the Pink, Boys for Pele, From the Choirgirl Hotel, and To Venus and Back (and at times Strange Little Girls) are some of the ones I can do this with. (I'm nearly there with Scarlet's Walk, but The Beekeeper and American Doll Posse still have some time to sink in before I can appreciate all of the tracks).

Any Boards of Canada album is great for complete run throughs, Dustin O'Halloran ("Piano Solos"), The Faint ("Danse Macabre"), Elliott Smith ("Elliott Smith" "Figure 8"), Skinny Puppy ("The Greater Wrong of the Right"), OhGr ("Sunnypsyop"). I could go on, but I'll stop here. Either I listen to really awesome music, or I just don't think anything is bad, lol.

For ASC (you better watch them!) in no particular order:

Skinny Puppy - Protest - off The Greater Wrong of the Right (I wanted a better song but this is the only video they have off the album. Still good, though!)

The Faint - Agenda Suicide - off Danse Macabre

Elliott Smith - Son of Sam - off Figure 8

Tori Amos - Spark - off From the Choirgirl Hotel

Tori Amos - God - off Under the Pink

Dustin O'Halloran - Opus #16 - off Piano Solos

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Archived