Hondo's Bar

Favorite 90's R&B group

The NZA

90's Rhythm & Blues  

7 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

let's not fuck up this poll like the last R&B one where everybody named shit they didnt vote for anyway; dont you tell me you want Xscape, High-Five and Brownstone up here 'cause we both know youre lying. :hulk:

Oh yeah, and im considering Destiny's Child more 2000-ish myself. Anyway, i think Boyz II Men and Jodeci will ride the popularity ticket, especially since many might not be familiar with a lot of those names (though i assure those of you who live in the states, youve likely heard a song or two by most of them), and i can almost garuntee Panch'll lose sleep over this poll. Anyway, im actually a fan of most of these groups (as opposed to modern R&B, which i agree with the RZA being largely "rap & bullshit", personally...) so i gotta mull it over.

they were good, and for a while there too. last single i remember was "never gonna get it", i think.

i kinda miss the female R&B thing, since i dug SWV, TLC and the lot of em. we dont even really get Destiny's Child anymore, just a lotta solo artists that look like (and sing as bad as) ashanti or something.

Good thread, Nick. Here we go... Dru Hill dominated towards the end of the 90s. While they were still a super-group, no doupt (and one of my favorites), you really can't put them in the same thread as Jodeci or New Edition. After all, they were MOSTLY influenced by Jodeci. They were Jodeci wannabes. Sisqo almost blatantly stole K-Ci's style. Shai was good, but they had their biggest hit early (93 I think) with "If I ever fall in love". Bel Biv Devoe also revolutionized the R&B game with their soulfull-ness (along with Tony! Toni! Toné!). They are also credited with discovering Boyz II Men. Boyz, of course, became the most worldwide of those listed (next to Sisqo and Dru Hill). Girl groups were big too, but you forgot Total (who featured early Timbaland production). Silk did come out with hits in the 90s, but it was 2000 beyond that they REALLY got big. Their albulm Tonight was huge! H-Town (interestingly enough discovered by Luke Campbell: Miami's booty King) really only had 2 hits. Az Yet only had one. There's others that I really can't think of now, but they'll come to me. To be totally honest, 90s R&B is a dead genre and could never really make a return. Some groups have tried: Jagged Edge, 112, BlackSTREET (wait, BlackSTREET WAS from the 90s). Only Destiny's Child has made it. Guys like Jamie Foxx and Bobby Valentino are the only ones to come close soundwise.

Another group you missed: Guy.

Hey, I didn't know that Marc Nelson (lead singer of Az Yet) was actually an original member of Boyz II men! I was a big fan of his! Some other groups Nick missed:

Next and Ideal (man, I LOVED Ideal)

But those guys were mostly new millennium.

haha, panch owned it. few quick things:

Dru Hill dominated towards the end of the 90s. While they were still a super-group, no doupt (and one of my favorites), you really can't put them in the same thread as Jodeci or New Edition. After all, they were MOSTLY influenced by Jodeci. They were Jodeci wannabes. Sisqo almost blatantly stole K-Ci's style

you can see where i ran into that problem here; some of these guys (BBD etc are so much earlier and again, influential its odd putting them next to later acts. obviously, i just kinda went for a big umbrella.

oh yeah, and youre right about shai's single but i really dug "Place Where you Belong".

Girl groups were big too, but you forgot Total (who featured early Timbaland production).

i honestly threw that one around, but the names confuse my ass: i thought it was just that one chick, and even then, i can only think of like 1-2 songs. which, to be fair, is true of some of the groups i went with anyway.

H-Town (interestingly enough discovered by Luke Campbell: Miami's booty King) really only had 2 hits.

totally didnt know that, that's funny. i wonder if they got ripped like Trick Daddy & some others've accused Luke of!

oh yeah, totally didnt know the Az Yet thing either, that's crazy.

Some groups have tried: Jagged Edge, 112, BlackSTREET (wait, BlackSTREET WAS from the 90s).

yeah, shit....theyre prolly the biggest group i left off here. :doh: saddens me to hear you say its a dead genre but considering all the use of synthesis & the like now it does feel that way.

wait, Jagged Edge is a group? i was so sure it was that one guy.

Another group you missed: Guy.

Next and Ideal (man, I LOVED Ideal)

i cant remember, what'd Guy sing? and hey, i wanted to include PM Dawn but there's only like 3 songs i (or likely most others) know by em, good as they were. Hell, i was this close to tossing Groove Theory, Zhane and others up that uh, woudlnt be anyone's favorites.

ps you aint said who you voted for!

Total was a group and they had some singles. They where featured on songs with Mase (which was on of the biggest rappers at the time). SWV did a song with Wu Tang, but you probably knew that.

Yeah, Jagged Edge is a group. 4 guys and two of them are twins!

Guy had a BUNCH of songs, but for some reason I can't remember one. HAHA!! Guy was big cause they had Teddy Reilly. Of Wrecks and Effects and BlackSTREET fame.

And I voted for Jodeci of course.

• 1 year later...

fuggit, for lack of a proper R&B thread (we were on about groups & individuals here anyway), here's me shamelessly stealing another man's efforts and posting up most err'body's favorite 90s (ish) R&B! yeah, you can tell when the hip-hop merger started, around the time Meth & Mary got together it started to become a default. anyway, enjoy!

TLC - Baby Baby Baby

TLC - Red Light Special (extended version)

TLC - Creep

Boyz II Men - End of the Road

Boyz II Men - On Bended Knee

Boyz II Men - Water Runs Dry

Shai - If I Ever Fall In Love

Shai - Baby I'm Yours

Guy - Let's Chill

Mint Condition - Breakin' My Heart (Pretty Brown Eyes)

After 7 - Ready or Not

Shanice - I Love Your Smile

SWV - I'm So Into You

P.M. Dawn - Die Without You

Silk - Freak Me

Color Me Badd - I Wanna Sex You Up

Color Me Badd - I Adore Mi Amore

Janet Jackson - If

Janet Jackson - Love Will Never Do Without You

En Vogue - You Don't Have To Worry

The Deele - Two Occasions (Yeah, this is late 80s and not 90s, but it's still awesome)

Atlantic Starr - Masterpiece

Troop - Spread My Wings

Troop - Sweet November

Vanessa Williams - Running Back To You

Vanessa Williams - Save The Best For Last

Toni Braxton - Another Sad Love Song

Toni Braxton - Breath Again

Toni Braxton - You're Making Me High

Toni Braxton - Let It Flow

R. Kelly - Honey Love

R. Kelly - Bump n' Grind

Aaliyah - Back & Forth