Hondo's Bar

This Film Is Not Yet Rated

Very interesting documentary about the unknown injustices of the MPAA. I'm really into films, and film making so this type of documentary was very interesting. Anyone else that shares my interest will also get a big kick outta this film. There's several interviews with great film makers and people in the business of movies.

IMDB Listing

Watch the whole damn thing on google video

I've watched it a few months ago, pretty good. Found it really telling when you find out that the MPAA's appeal board is made up of studio heads and theater chain owners... of course the MPAA is suppose to be completely independent and impartial... just another cog in the media racket.

Refused to rate it anything lower than NC-17, threatened to sue for various reasons, then the studios (who are on the MPAA board) refused to advertise, and many theater chains (who are also on the board) just refused to carry it because of its "adult rating," the one they helped give it.

Well, to be fair considering all the scenes it had from NC-17 movies, the guy KNEW it was going to be rated NC-17 in the first place. It's not like the film was blackballed in that regard. Most theater chains won't carry NC-17 because not only is there idiotic public outcry for morals, but IIRC Showgirls the last NC-17 film I remember that got any sort of distribution tanked. It's not like the film got special bastard treatment. The MPAA has enough faults of its own without adding it's refusal to rate it anything other than NC-17 to the list.

On to the film, It's a pretty good documentary, though I think it succeeds better when it's interviewing directors and the like as opposed to the PI work, but that's probably just me.

Still, I think it does a good job showcasing the double standards applied by the ratings board. I saw "But I'm a Cheerleader" and while the film wasn't particularly good, it was far FAR tamer than films like American Pie. It got an NC-17. Hell that film probably should have gotten a PG-13. The ratings system is well and thoroughly fucked.

It's just really sad that it's LESS fucked than the video games rating system.

Still, I think it does a good job showcasing the double standards applied by the ratings board. I saw "But I'm a Cheerleader" and while the film wasn't particularly good, it was far FAR tamer than films like American Pie. It got an NC-17. Hell that film probably should have gotten a PG-13. The ratings system is well and thoroughly fucked.

Seconded.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived