Hondo's Bar

Mirror's Edge

Maldron

i'm not saying HL2 & Prime 1 weren't classics

i'm saying the jumpy bits in both were the lower end of the experience, and only ME made me fee like "yeah, okay this is something new/different in a positive way than 2D jumping"

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoyed the jumpy bits in both, I legitimately enjoy those portions of the game and kind of look forward to them upon replay more-so than "fight space pirates in the dark" or "defend this house from a stupidly large amount of Combine" or "battle headcrab zombies in the dark for 15 minutes while you wait for the elevator to arrive." I've never dreaded them and while they're not as dynamic and kinetic as Mirror's Edge, they're still done very well. The bit in Half-Life 2 where you jump across bits of debris so as not to alert the antlions to your position is probably my favorite part of the entire game.

that part's okay, "we don't go there anymore" ravencroft or whatever it's called >>>>>

the jumping in Prime is sometimes more of a chore, whereas say when it was fluid in Super Metroid/Fusion/etc it's just a way of getting around, even without the screw attack. bish attributes this to backtracking/general pacing woes of 3D being longer and more mundane than how short it was to move from one world to the next in some tight 2D titles, but the point stands...it's never a joy in prime. and come on, the first time you get that visor & fight in the dark it's kinda cool; granted it's repetitive after that but there's some jumps - i'm looking at you, underwater section - that when you're not in the groove, they're just awful.

ME1...i hated when i'd miss a jump to a red standpipe by a quarter-inch, granted, but when you're in a time trial, or say just fleeing a firing helicopter & kinda flowing from one roof to the next, just barely making each jump & not losing momentum...it's actually a thing of beauty, and the highlight of the game for me. in HL2 & prime, jumpy sections are, at the very best, not too horribly obtrusive, at worst they make me wanna play something in 2D.