Hondo's Bar

Black Lagoon

The NZA

black_lagoon.jpg

so, bish recommended this one, and im 6 episodes (of 24 or so?), and rather enjoying it. Its got the feel of a darker Cowboy Bebop, with the default lead protagonist starting off on the foot of "Wanted", kind of. Of course, the Bebop comparison is to say its a fun series with a small cast of interesting characters. So far, much of it's been on the lead and Levy (revy?), the series femme-fatale hot badass with a clearly very troubled past. Whats fun is that even when doing a character bit or action sequence that you'd fear will come off as cliche, it has fun with itself instead - something i wish stories did more.

Anyone else seen it? again, pretty cool so far, but i could see it getting darker as it goes.

Best anime I have seen in years. Period. The characters are great, the stories are fun, and it takes itself just seriously enough. That adn Rock is the motherfucking shit, Revy (Should probably be Reby, short for Rebecca) is cool too, hell I like them all. Have you finished the first season yet?

it really was. never, ever fuck around with the boss russian mafia chicks.

great series, sad its over, sadder that wiki has no details on season 3...mebbe i should take up the manga?

ps looking back, holy shit was hansel & gretel unnecessarily harsh & dark.

Balalaika is the shit. But yeah that arc was REALLY fucked up, the show really didn't pull any punches at all.

I kinda felt bad for the murderous little bastards. But one thing I loved with the series is how all the criminals are professionals who generally don't take shit personally, unless you break your word. The Lagoon crew occasionally would be on the other side of people who were normally friends, and vce versa. It was sweet.

i loved that too, but:

im not sure what i needed to suspend my belief more for, revy/master chow yun chen/etc's ability to continually morph through oncoming bullets, or the lagoon crew ending up on the wrong side of hotel moscow or the entire fucking town (including "yes lady", who i loved), and things're square again by the next episode. shit was crazy, but crazy fun.

Well, finally got around to getting the DVDs of this, and I have to say, at least on the 2nd Barrage ones, I am generally impressed by the dub. One, it doesn't suck, and the dialogue actually flows well, soemthing that rarely happens in Anime dubs. Only problems I have had is some changes to things in the Fujiyama Gangsta Paradise arc, but they are minor, and it would be kinda a pain to get around them otherwise.

Final DVD comes out in like a month, and I am so on that shit, this series is completely worth purchasing. Plus much better video quality helps too.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I don't get the love. It certainly wasn't a bad show, and I had fun watching it, but it doesn't come close to Bebop. The characters are static, none of their pasts are allowed to be presented, and the action is hard to believe because the good guys just stand in open doorframes and gun down the baddies while all their bullets magically miss them. Shit was often graphic, but rarely badass.

They might fix a few of my complaints in Season 3, I guess. Don't hate the show, but I like it better when the shows I watch actually go somewhere and develop character.

see, i thought Revy and the main guy evolved a bit over the series, myself. and it might be leftovers from MGS3, but i was really interested in Hotel Moscow & Balalaika.

That's because Balalaika was the most well-developed character in the show, and right behind her was the maid killer. Those two are the most developed characters in the entire show and they're side characters to the main cast, which is reprehensible. Rock and Revy may have seemed to grow, but I don't believe they did - at the end of Season 2, Rock decided to live his life the exact same way he had, and Revy was living her exact same life too. If anything, the pair's relationship seemed to be based on Revy's assumption that he was useless, and her eventual reluctant acceptance of that fact over the series is as much as their relationship grew. Revy's past is relegated to a re-used scene of a child in the middle of some falling feathers after killing some man. Rock and Dutch have their prior lives alluded to more than demonstrated, though Rock is forgivable in this regard, and the computer guy was just "some florida student who got roped in," and we're never given anything past that.

Meanwhile, given the same number of episodes, look at how much we learned about the crew of the Bebop, how well developed the character interactions became. This show was just empty of that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

HEY THERE GUYS!

An OVA has started airing. Roberta's Blood Trail. Seeing as how I download, and the rest of you stream, I'll leave it to Ly or somebody to find out where this thing is streaming, because I know how much you all care about this show.

If you want to see a manga slowly go insane, read Air-Gear. Started out about the secret underground extreme sports of kids with skates that can propel themselves the speed of cars, and now it's all about experimental gravity children and the mind of a japanese schoolgirl trapped inside the body of American President Omaha fighting over the sky regalia, a pair of skates so awesome that it would be bad if it fell into the wrong hands.

I gave up on it.

<font face="Verdana" size="1" color="#999999"><br/><a href="http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=105708095"'>http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=105708095" style="font: Verdana">bl1A</a><br/><object width="425px" height="360px" ><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"/><param name="wmode" value="transparent"/><param name="movie" value="http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=105708095,t=1,mt=video"/><embed'>http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=105708095,t=1,mt=video"/><embed src="http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=105708095,t=1,mt=video" width="425" height="360" allowFullScreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent"></embed></object><br/><a href="http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=541272620" style="font: Verdana">Omaso mfasfo</a> | <a href="http://vids.myspace.com " style="font: Verdana">MySpace Video</a></font>

Archived