Hondo's Bar

Sons of Anarchy

So given the sudden interest biker gangs are being given by pop culture, I started tivoing this series from like, episode 3 & sat on it for a while. Sat down this morning to watch, and was completely riveted.

Here's the wiki page, Ron Pearlman plays the lead character Clay Morrow who runs the Charming chapter of the Sons of Anarchy. Katie Seagal plays a helluva role as his wife/first lady of SAMCRO, Charlie Hunnan(guy I've never seen before) plays Jax, I gather he's stepson to Clay & VP to SOA. Basically the story follows the politics & rigmorol of being outlaw bikers in SOCal, there's some interesting takes on things like vigilante justice, interacting with police, other biker gangs, bikie culture(I found it's pretty much the same kind of deal as Thompson laid out in Hell's Angels), and then aryan organisations & the like who'll generally be tarred in the same brush. Apparently the first season has wrapped up, this is as good as bought when it hits DVD. Is anyone else watching this?

• 10 months later...

This show is a must see. Probably one of my favorite shows . . . ever? I like it so far better than the Shield.

The show combines the plot of Hamlet with a motorcycle gang and a Lady Macbeth like character. I can't say enough good things about this show. Totally riveting story.

How far in are you? We're in early season 2 on cable but that's only because noone seemed to watch it outside of our house and we got lasy. Henry Rollins deserves more work(but something tells me he's not making it out of Season 2).

How far in are you? We're in early season 2 on cable but that's only because noone seemed to watch it outside of our house and we got lasy. Henry Rollins deserves more work(but something tells me he's not making it out of Season 2).

I've seen them all so far. Season 2 leaves off on a hell of a good spot. I finished it about a month ago and I keep listening to the soundtrack just to remind me of the good shows to come (and also because it is kick-ass music).

That's it. Consider the rest of Season 2 torrented. Anyone objecting to possible spoilerage in reference to Henry Rollins, all I say is this: Season 2 starts with meeting Henry Rollins, then without missing a beat showing you why his tenure on this show is quite shortlived.

• 4 weeks later...

FInished season 2 a week or so ago and wow, Vagrant wasn't kidding about a helluva place to finish the spot. I'd argue any positive phrasing though, as it walks that fine line of monumentous cliffhangers creating suspence vs putting characters we've grown quite fond of in awful situations.

At least Weston got his

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

So I finally gave this a try on Netflix...and it's my favorite soap opera. Ever. I burned through all four seasons in a little over a week. Looking fwd to catching up on the first few eps of S5 that have aired.

However...

The melodrama @ the end of S4 w/ Peg Bundy and Don Draper's sloppy seconds was hilarious. I wonder what Clay's move will be once he "gets whole" after Opie put two in his chest? I wish Clay and Gemma both slow deaths. The sooner the better.

And speaking of deaths, the (ex)sheriff has to be smoking some magic herb. He's stretched those "18 months left to live" over nearly 2.5 years of "story time."

Edited by Mr. Hakujin
No squeezing the Juice!

• 3 weeks later...

i dont know if id co-sign vagrant putting it above The Shield, but im pretty early on - caught half of season 2 with kertins watching it here and am now working my way back through s1 to catch up on the bigger details.

still, someone could've sold this better as saying

"hellboy's gang has a war going with the aryans, lead by henry rollins"

and idve been on this sooner

One of the big issues with The Shield for me was that after a while, I could no longer empathize with Vick and most of the others. With the characters on SOA, I still root for themand want them to stay alive.

Vick was the Machiavelli of The Shield and Clay is that sort of character on SOA. There are a lot of similarities between the two shows and I love all the guest spots.

huh...yeah that is interesting, i didn't know any of his pre black flag stuff.

about your vick/clay stuff:

i can see the machiavellian thing, and it's an interesting take given how obvious the macbeth angle of clay/peggy bundy and whatever hand they had in jax's father's death is. i too had a hard time empathizing with clay about halfway through season 2, but then the gang-rape thing brought the family together (...) and the only thing that feels odd is how fast everything was patched up - opie's put his wife's killing behind him, the IRA thing, etc.

season 2 finale tonight, then i start a few eps into season 3 to catch up to kertins. 4's coming to netflix in a few weeks too.

In no way would I put SOA above The Shield. Sure, someone could probably make an argument that The Shield is melodrama, but at no point in the series did it ever feel melodramatic for me. I can't say the same for SOA. It crosses that line between drama and melodrama (hence my labeling it my favoritest soap opera), but SOA is still damn entertaining.

And I see Gemma as more like Vic Mackey in S1-S3 (and most of S4) than Clay. However, Clay is definitely making more Mackey-avelli moves in s4 & s5.

..about 4 episodes into season 3

and its kinda grinding to a halt for me.

1) i don't care about peggy bundy's dad's house, can we please move past that? we dexter'd his assistant already, geez

2) i am totally lost on why the IRA isnt returning Jax's kid. so the council offers up the idiot who kidnapped abel after finding out that it was the fed's fault and also remembering they wanna keep a 20+ year business deal going, right? so why the fuck did they have father whatever send him to belfast and not ship him back to make right on this deal? even the weasel they have here in the states says this is gonna be bad for everyone, what's the fucking point of keeping him/placing him elsewhere? why aren't the sons telling them to sort this shit since it was their boy that cocked it up if they wanna keep this deal going? why is this even a plotline ugh

i hope this season changes directions soon, im already missing rollins