Hondo's Bar

DC to lose Superman rights in 2013

Newtype

Umm... am I hideously late on this news? I must be, because I don't know why everyone in the nerdosphere isn't losing their goddamn shit over the fact that DC is losing the rights to Superman in 2013. From Variety, as part of a long, boring article on the interminable legal battles between Superman co-creators Siegel and Shuster and DC/Warner Bros:

"This trial was only an interim step in the multifaceted accounting case which remains, in that it only concerned the secondary issue of whether DC Comics, or DC Comics and Warner Bros., would have to account to the Siegels," he said. "To put this in further perspective, the entire accounting action pales in comparison to the fact that in 2013, the Siegels, along with the estate of Joe Shuster, will own the entire original copyright to Superman, and neither DC Comics nor Warner Bros. will be able to exploit any new Superman works without a license from the Siegels and Shusters."

Seriously? Holy shit. DC could lose Superman in four years. Why aren't people going insane? Do they figure that DC/WB will pony up any amount of money to the Siegel/Shuster heirs to keep the right to publish their most iconic character? If so, what's DC/WB's plan in nickle-and-dime-ing them on the way, and very potentially pissing them off? Would a bitter Siegel/Shuster team consider licensing Superman to Marvel just to get back at DC for being dicks all these years? Seems possible to me. Could Superman actually join the Marvel universe? Whould they go ahead an get rid of the Sentry? HOLY SHIT, THIS IS MADNESS WHY IS NO ONE ELSE FREAKING OUT ABOUT THIS AAAAAAAAAAAAA

Nobody cares because Superman isn't a fun character to read.

All I want out of anything to do w/ Superman is a black t-shirt w/ the bloody "Death of Superman" shield on it that's properly proportioned. I could never get my hands on one, and DC won't put one of those out again yet they'll make tye-dyed, faded, and pink "S" logo Tees all day long. The rest to do w/ Superman in any incarnation in the past 10-15 years has been shit. They can't even get a movie right with $100million budget, the X2 director and Kevin-fuckin-Spacey! DC losing the rights is about as likely as Micheal Jackson's reanimated corpse going on tour in 2010. However, I hope it does happen so maybe then someone can make me the fuckin' T-shirt I want and I can proudly wear it to MJ's Thriller2 show.

/rant

This will be the biggest copyright loss since Rom the Space Knight!

But seriously, Superman may have a shitty series and nobody can name anything inspirational he's done in the last 60 years except die, but mark my words, once Superman goes DC is going to be up shit creek. Green Lantern and Batman can't carry that company on their own. You lose the icon, you lose the notoriety and no emo millionaire who dresses up like bondage fetishist furry with a raspy voice who became a parody of himself years ago can hold up on his own.

The good news is it may actually bring about the cancellation of Smallville, which would be awesome.

This will be the biggest copyright loss since Rom the Space Knight!

But seriously, Superman may have a shitty series and nobody can name anything inspirational he's done in the last 60 years except die, but mark my words, once Superman goes DC is going to be up shit creek. Green Lantern and Batman can't carry that company on their own. You lose the icon, you lose the notoriety and no emo millionaire who dresses up like bondage fetishist furry with a raspy voice who became a parody of himself years ago can hold up on his own.

The good news is it may actually bring about the cancellation of Smallville, which would be awesome.

I forget which thread we had this conversation in(maybe the Cap't America?), but Superman's greatest moment for me, is Action comics 775 'What's wrong with Truth, Justice & the American way?'. It's Joe Kelly(Deadpool-the good stuff, JLElite) pitting old-school Supes against the Premiere Elite(who'll always hold a place in my heart) as a kind of representative of the 'new-school' Authority, Ultimates, and the like of a more 'realistic' approach to heroes than classic idealism. I'd really like to get your thoughts on that one issue man.

I forget which thread we had this conversation in(maybe the Cap't America?), but Superman's greatest moment for me, is Action comics 775 'What's wrong with Truth, Justice & the American way?'. It's Joe Kelly(Deadpool-the good stuff, JLElite) pitting old-school Supes against the Premiere Elite(who'll always hold a place in my heart) as a kind of representative of the 'new-school' Authority, Ultimates, and the like of a more 'realistic' approach to heroes than classic idealism. I'd really like to get your thoughts on that one issue man.

that's it. that's the one, past Red Son and Man for All Seasons, that was good, in the last 10 years. i got it in some Supes trade or another, i wanna say, and im done with the character, past Alan Moore's contributions ("for the man who has everything", etc).

They've actually just put out the Alan Moore HC compiling 'Whatever happened to the man of Tomorrow?', 'For the man who has everything' abd his meeting with Swamp Thing, still haven't read any of those stories so I'm thinking of picking it up. And Red Son stands out as my favourite Superman Story ever, but you can't obviously consider it cannon(Even Superboy seems interesting in the Elseworlds U).

What'll be interesting is, in the unlikely event the character lapses into whatever, what kind of goodbye or send off he'll be given?

as much as id like to legitmately profit off my supes/martian manhunter yaoi fanfic, i think you guys are kidding yourselves if you think AOL/TIME WARNER is gonna let the flagship go public. i just cant see it happening, on merchandising rights alone.

they'll kill him off.

That'd just be poor sportsmanship. I'm more imagining an event where he gets sucked into the helix of universes at the end, to land in the U of the highest bidder. NZA's right though- with the money behind Time warner, if they want to keep him he'll be kept.

Archived