Hondo's Bar

Table Top Gaming

Spycer

That sounds all kinds of cool.

I was always envious of crim's frosted glass chess set which he never used. He'd never play chess with me :sarcasm:

Yes kind of was a pity that set never got used. It was my mams so I was always afraid of fucking it up. She would try to play chess with me sometimes without even knowing the rules. She would get pissy when I did the 2-up 1-across thing with a knight (the knights standard fucking move) and would regularly move pawns straight ahead to take other pieces. Needless to say I got sick of it quickly.

Was a nice board though. I'm sure they're easily findable. She got it off someone for christmas we saw it in fucking Tescos the very next week.

Cool, I'll have to check it out. I'm curious for a game I'm running, and for a game I'm in: I've got a character that just learned Fabricate, but the DM's uncomfortable about me applying it to crafting nonmagical items so money can be made while I'm stuck in town. Then again, I think I kind of make him a bit nervous when I'm playing a spellcaster anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

Starting a new FantasyCraft game in the next couple weeks. Will let you know how it goes.

I started reading the book in prep for the game, and they have made some interesting changes.

Also, trees are a standard race. No level adjustment, as they have done away with such completely.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

The Boston Herald is apparently trying to blame D&D and LARPing for the recent school shooting in Alabama.

Bishop, now a University of Alabama professor, and her husband James Anderson [pictured below] met and fell in love in a Dungeons & Dragons club while biology students at Northeastern University in the early 1980s, and were heavily into the fantasy role-playing board game, a source told the Herald.

"They even acted this crap out," the source said.

When questioned about it yesterday, Anderson, 45, a research scientist in Huntsville, Ala., dismissed the egghead escape as "a passing interest. It was a social thing more than anything else. It's not the crazy group people think they are." . . .

The popular fantasy role-playing game has a long history of controversy, with objections raised to its demonic and violent elements. Some experts have cited the D&D backgrounds of people who were later involved in violent crimes, while others say it just a game. A federal appeals court recently upheld a prison ban on the game in Wisconsin, where prison officials reportedly testified they were afraid the game could promote "hostility, violence and escape behavior."

io9 reports on it here: http://io9.com/5473500/did-dungeons--drago...ps-murder-spree

• 1 year later...

I'm trying to help my DM fix the balance issues in our game. There are 3 of our 7 players causing the problem. The problems being 1, the Dragonkin "Beast of Legend" didn't count his 7 HD into his ECL and so his ECL is 7 higher than he said. 2. Two of the players are playing a race from a third party publisher which has an ECL out of line with its power level AND they forgot to factor in their HD. making them 2 levels higher than they said and more because of the race. 3. The two playing the weird race are playing Gestalt characters from Unearthed Arcana which is a variant only supposed to be used if the whole party is Gestalt and creates characters that do not scale with standard classes.

What would you guys do to fix this?

They've responded to any attempt to work with them to fix their characters with calls of "witch hunt" and threatening to leave the game. They've been with us in our monthly game since the spring. The Dragonkin is the DMs brother and will btich and moan but not quit. They were making witch hunt claims over me trying to figure out why the game was unbalanced and realizing it was ECL and letting the GM know what the actual Average ECL was.

So, the player I wasn't sure of? ECL 19. So that means our party is ECL 14 x2(not really) ECL 19, ECL 13 x3 and ECL 12....

Average Party level? 14. Even if you factor in the brokenness of the ECL 14 characters as actually being ECL 16. But then that means 3 people are 2-5 levels above what the rest of the party can handle >.<

thewalk.jpg

I got into table top gaming this year with Warhammer 40k and Warmachine/Hordes thanks to these guys. RPGs I've been delving into are Iron Kingdoms and Warhammer 40k universe inspired Deathwatch and Black Crusade (FOR CHAOS!).

Really been enjoying it and I've almost got a 1000 point Chaos army ready for play (need paint and a few more units).

Edited by Genroh