Hondo's Bar

Current state of Hondo's

the division of joy

but not while you kids keep touching yourselves chatting in the suggestion box.

Call what i'm doing chatting in the shoutbox or not, i am raising a valid point. Our last few members who decided to jump shark because of how things went on and off the board have really hurt this place and its gotten to the point where there aren't enough people coming in via whatever source to keep its head above water, so to speak.

i disagree - things are slower, but we still got new faces & talk going. im not gonna act like there's not holes where SB & co were, but honestly, 6 years at the helm have left me with so may unique contributors wandering in & out for any number of circumstances that ive really had to accept the changing face of such a community and make the best of who's here now, you know? everyone's going to have a golden era of hondo's, i like to think mine hasnt come & gone yet.

but for posterity, we should discuss this somewhere else, im sure there's a "is hondo's slow/broken" topic, even in this forum.

*note: brought this over from DA's new topic in Fight Club, dont mind the inevitable redundancies, but i thought it fleshed out what i was saying more directly.

ok, i call shenanigans. not on DA8, mind.

slow board is slow. but weve got dozens of people checking in still; fuck, it just hit midnight a while back over here, and weve already had 10 names check in - 2 newbies, so 8 regulars. you cant put a slow board on SB's back, no matter how much dude contributed to movies: its silly. its like me & JZA lamenting the lack of 2Track and acting like there's no comedy to be found without his beloved cock jokes, it undermines everyone else's efforts.

no, while i say let DA do his thing, relying on the same pattern to get new results is likely why we're here. weve got dozens stopping off and not saying as much? we need to get away from the mentality that one messiah/bad guy stunt will sustain shit anymore than an award ceremony or other summer event will; times like this are when actual content/thread ideas, i think, shine. conversation-starters, not gimmicks.

/soapbox

There is no solutions, people will post when they want to post, most likely you need something to happen that people will be passionate enough about to want to discuss, there is no one thing you can do to make people post, it's the interest that is missing not the substance.

Last time people came back in droves was April Fools, something needs to happen for people to return to regular posting and eventually it will, this place slows and and speeds up all the time, its time will come again.

Not for me, the board's fine.

To be fair, I am not online that much, period, so I'm definitely not the guy you turn to for a minute to minute update on the state of the forum. But when I am online, i do stop here, see what people have to say.

My responses are usually to shit from months ago, but whatever.

LOL "It's not you, it's me"

My renewed presence will cause a ripple, like a stone in a pond. It will travel throughout the global underlying shared human subconscious and people will find themselves inextricably drawn to Hondo's.

Fret not, dear friends.

There are forces at work that we scarcely understand and all will be well again.

You're welcome.

My renewed presence will cause a ripple, like a stone in a pond. It will travel throughout the global underlying shared human subconscious and people will find themselves inextricably drawn to Hondo's.

Fret not, dear friends.

There are forces at work that we scarcely understand and all will be well again.

You're welcome.

See, now if you don't come to HONDOS-CON the world will be swallowed up into a black hole or some shit. Now you have to go! Muahahaha.

1251252532.jpg

shutup, it fits the analogy! let me have my moment.

right, so...new direction, at least for your admin.

I think DoJ was right in the other thread; too much energy gets focused on people who leave, for any reason. I could sit around and drink and talk about who id have here on an ideal cast but that's only my perspective, and some folks worked best for the time they had. This ship's been up & running for nearly 8 years now, and I've been at the helm it for 6 of those. To romanticize the past or whine too much about perceptions of the present does a disservice to the current crowd on board.

Dont get me wrong; there's people we love having about (2T and the like) and people ive a hard time keeping things going without (my deputies, etc) but to me, this place is running at a great pace - we've had busier/more active seasons but again, this has given others a chance to shine. Think about it like this: when the awards finally do get going later this year, we're gonna have a tough time determining rookie of the year.

Ive no ill will towards those who've left the ship, but I'm not gonna chase after them either and pretend this place rests on the shoulders of any one person, even myself. To those who've stayed & are trying things out with your respective corners: you're awesome, hope to see a few of you come november, or maybe drunken call you then.

same as ever: word of mouth.

seriously, any site i go i put this place in my sig/mention it where its appropriate, but past that, not much. i know full well locking down the place risks less people signing up, but then again, its a small handful that stays around to sort things out anyway.

i had this grand idea to try to get the admin of the now-defunct preacher's divinity to sell me his spot so i could forward it here, but i cant reach the guy. honeslty though, some of my favorite people this year are still references...the old tactic of being on other forums (or even IRL parties) and name-dropping the place seems to work just as fine as years ago, so barring a huge publicity stunt, im gonna keep on with that, personally. thoughts?

Archived