Hondo's Bar

Nemesis

The NZA

source. for JZA's sake, ill clip from it.

1259885401.jpg

Yeah, a lot of people who've read it have been coming up with hilarious tag-lines. "What if Batman was The Joker?" is the tame one. "What if Batman was a total cunt?" is maybe my favourite, although it's hardly going to be an ad. [it's] is a reversal of the Bruce Wayne or Tony Stark archetype. What if this genius billionaire was just this total shit, and the only thing that stood between him and a city was the cops? It's Batman versus Commissioner Gordon, in a weird way. Or maybe a super-villain version of "Se7en." A billionaire anarchist up against ordinary people. The Joker's the best thing in the Batman movies, so this guy is a bit of an amalgamation of all the stuff we like.

it seems im not the only fanboy figuring Millar basically bounces these ideas around to get movies going, and that this story could very well be 5 issues across 2 years. nonetheless, he's back to being more hits than misses lately, and im intrigued.

ps i cant pin down exactly where, but didnt Warren Ellis do a take on this story once?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^I noticed that in the article. Apparently this universe is Batman-esque, but not so much soas to warrant a copyright infringement lawsuit by DC/WB. We'll see if that holds true if movie rights are sold though, which is likely the whole point for Millar doing this book--fair enough.

Did Marvel ever catch any shit from DC for Squadron Supreme? I can't remember. I don't foresee a problem, Disney lawyers are the best in the bidness :wink:

Speaking of Squadron Supreme and very :weep: , I thought it was cute how Marvel was clearly reading the epic shit DC and Eclipse were doing in the 80's and tried to emulate it, badly, in SS. I guess more specifically things Moore was writing. They just flat out took the idea of the superheroes taking over and forcing the world to be a Utopia from Miracleman, they tried real hard to give SS those "deep" Watchmen moments too.

As bad as it was tho, it was better than a lot of stuff...Sadly.

And I will ALWAYS approve of a guy in a bright yellow suit that's named "Whizzer".

• 3 months later...

ANyone catch this yet? I'm not sure how it's meant to differ from any other book told from a villian's perspective. I'm pretty sure we've seen master tactician villians before and it's what's made them more memorable than your run of the mill Bond villian. Seems like the praise from the uniqueness of Wanted & the spectacle of Kick Ass have combined into what he now considers a masterpiece but is infact blander than the uniform.

Oh yeah, it somehow swept off shelves at my local store(I say somehow because the seemingly cool reception to Kick Ass #8 made me figure the Millar Hype was over), but it was easy enough to torrent. Not great, or at least I didn't pick up on anything that hasn't been done 100 times.

It looks interesting, but Millar does seem to be fully up his own ass on this one. Moreso than Wanted, Old Man Logan, and Kick-Ass combined. Instead of starting off the interesting story and then following with an orgy of blood, guts, and poorly written lines written around the word "fuck" he's decided to just skip to the second step in the first issue.

He's also shooting for the fucking stars with his dream casting here. He's got Viggo Mortenson as the lead and Wesley Snipes as Detective Black Blackerton the Black Sidekick.

OK, Just read it and freakin' loved it! It's not even a little close to being in a Batman-esque universe. There's no real mirror correlations outside of the two main characters: Nemesis and a super-star D.C. police chief. It's set in Tokyo and D.C. Nemesis is wearing a cape but doesn't have that Joker smile like in the pic in NZA's first post. Basically the plot asks the question: what if a genius billionaire become a super-villian bent on anarchy? And mass murder and destruction ensues from there.

Millar seems to be having fun w/ the violence and archetypes in this one just like in Kick-Ass.

what if a genius billionaire become a super-villian bent on anarchy?

Answered by every Bond movie ever made, as well as roughly half the comics in the industry. Sorry to naysay man, but I'm just not feeling anything different here from any other story about eccentric billionaire villianery and I guess this more highlights what I liked about Wanted insomuch it was base & crude, sure, but at least the villians were practical in their approach

I don't know what you mean

See, I'm trying to find a new way to handle opinions different to mine without calling you an ignorant cunt and wishing all that hate Alex Ross can offer. That's something I might've done previously y'know, calling you a cunt.

I don't know what you mean

See, I'm trying to find a new way to handle opinions different to mine without calling you an ignorant cunt and wishing all that hate Alex Ross can offer. That's something I might've done previously y'know, calling you a cunt.

Sorry, oh Jaytastic one. I know how frustrating it can be to bear the burden of being completely right about all things regarding comics all the time--not from personal experience, mind you, but I can relate b/c I read your memoir: On Hiatus: Tales of An Itchy Mangina. I'm sure this is more suited to your tastes:

loboep7.jpg

No, but I do have Darkclaw #1

I didn't outright hate this, it's definitely piqued my interest, and I plan to follow it through to the end, which is more than I can say for most books, really. But Jay's not wrong. This is Wanted only less retarded and while that's a good thing in nature (it's certainly what I asked for) it's got no soul, it's a black and white meat and potatoes super good guy vs. super evil guy story that manages to be original by making the good guy a cross between Mitchel Hundred and Dirty Harry and the bad guy a complete and utter fucking cunt who seems to just be doing everything he can to be an evil bastard. These are not archetypes that I hate but I feel that Millar's phoning it in from his crystal palace in the sky. I think he's still high on Kick-Ass fumes and he needs to come down a bit if he wants to make this a truly memorable book.

• 3 weeks later...
Is it as terrible and dull as all the other Amalgams or at least almost as funny as the premise dictates?

Pretty much as disappointing as the rest. It has some inside Howard jokes but, as much as I enjoy feeling pretentious and in on the joke, it doesn't save the book.

I thought a few of the Amalgam character ideas were more clever than they had a right to be. Like Sabretooth + Joker = Hyena.

Archived