Hondo's Bar

Top Twenty best games of the decade

Thelogan

Movies got one, so it started me to a-pondering. This has been a damn fine decade for gaming, we've had 2 solid console generations and a lot of innovation all around. Once I started looking into it, there's too much for me to do a top 10. If you can narrow yours down to 10, then you're way cooler than me. It's gonna be pretty hard for me to come up with a top 20, there's a lot of apples/oranges scenarios.

Which is one reason why I've decided that handheld games deserve their own thread. We're just dealing with consoles and PC's here. If your personal list includes arcade games, more power to ya.

I'm going to attempt to list potential candidates sorted by year like Jax did, but I'm sure there will be glaring omissions.

Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn (PC)

Banjo Tooie (N64)

Chrono Cross (PS1)

Counter-Strike (PC)

Crazy Taxi (DC)

Deus Ex (PC)

Diablo II

Final Fantasy IX (PS1)

Grandia II (DC)

Homeworld (PC)

Jet Grind Radio (DC)

The Legend of Dragoon (PS1)

Marvel vs. Capcom 2: New Age of Heroes (DC)

Persona 2: Eternal Punishment (PS1)

Power Stone 2 (DC)

Project Justice - Rival Schools 2 (DC)

Resident Evil Code: Veronica (DC)

Shenmue (DC)

The Sims (PC)

Skies of Arcadia (DC)

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 (Multiple, but DC was the one that counted :love:)

Unreal Tournament (PC)

Vagrant Story (PS1)

Virtua Tennis (DC)

Black & White (PC)

Civilization III (PC)

Conker's Bad Fur Day (N64)

Devil May Cry (PS2)

Final Fantasy X (PS2)

Grand Theft Auto III (PS2)

Halo: Combat Evolved (Xbox)

Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy (PS2)

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (PS2)

Paper Mario (N64)

Phantasy Star Online (DC)

Super Smash Bros. Melee (GC)

Animal Crossing (GC)

The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

Kingdom Hearts (PS2)

Metroid Prime (GC)

Neverwinter Nights (PC)

Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos (PC)

Beyond Good & Evil

Burnout 2: Point of Impact

Call of Duty

Disgaea

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

Otogi: Myth of Demons

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

SimCity 4

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell

Viewtiful Joe

Burnout 3: Takedown

The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay

Doom 3

Fable

Far Cry

Final Fantasy XI

Half-Life 2

Halo 2

Katamari Damacy

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes

Ninja Gaiden

Painkiller

Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door

Silent Hill 4: The Room

The Sims 2

Spider-Man 2

Star Wars Battlefront

Tales of Symphonia

World of Warcraft

Call of Duty 2

Condemned: Criminal Origins

F.E.A.R.

Geometry Wars

God of War

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

Gran Turismo 4

Guild Wars

Guitar Hero

The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction

Indigo Prophecy

Jade Empire

Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction

Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath

Psychonauts

Resident Evil 4

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II The Sith Lords

Bully

Dead Rising

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Fight Night Round 3

Final Fantasy XII

Gears of War

Kingdom Hearts II

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Marvel: Ultimate Alliance

Neverwinter Nights 2

Resistance: Fall of Man

Saints Row

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter

Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas

Assassin's Creed

Beautiful Katamari

BioShock

Blue Dragon

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

Crackdown

Dirt

Eternal Sonata

God of War II

Halo 3

Heavenly Sword

Mass Effect

MotorStorm

The Orange Box

Overlord

Rock Band

Skate

Super Paper Mario

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

WarioWare: Smooth Moves

Battlefield: Bad Company

Civilization Revolution

Condemned 2: Bloodshot

Crysis

Dead Space

Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice

Fable II

Fallout 3

Far Cry 2

Gears of War 2

Grand Theft Auto IV

The Last Remnant

Left 4 Dead

LittleBigPlanet

Mirror's Edge

Ninja Gaiden II

No More Heroes

Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters

Resistance 2

Rock Band 2

Saints Row 2

Sins of a Solar Empire

Soulcalibur IV

Spider-Man: Web of Shadows

Spore

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed

Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Tales of Vesperia

Too Human

Assassin's Creed II

Batman: Arkham Asylum

BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger

Borderlands

Braid

Brütal Legend

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Demons Souls

DJ Hero

Dragon Age: Origins

inFamous

Left 4 Dead 2

MadWorld

Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 2

New Super Mario Bros.

Plants vs. Zombies

Prototype

Punch-Out!!

Red Faction: Guerrilla

Resident Evil 5

The Sims 3

Skate 2

Street Fighter IV

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Holyshit...that was exhausting.

jesus christ i can't do 20 :love: well lemme try

in no order:

GTA4

Final Fantasy X

Assassin's Creed

Fallout3

The Sims 2

Resident Evil4

Devil May Cry 3

Prototype

Timesplitters: Future Perfect

Kingdom Hearts 2

Guitar Hero 2

Rockband 2

GTA: San Andreas

Super Smash Bros. Melee

Spider-Man 2

Bully

Manhunt

Gun

Uncharted: Drakes Fortune

Batman: Arkham Asylum

ok that was easier than i thought :love:

danm.first of: is this a "best of" or "your personal favorites"? cause those could be very different lists, with any medium.
Explain the difference to me. Like, "best of" is stuff that you recognize as being good but you don't like it as much as something else? If so, fuck that noise. Personal top 20 games. Hypothetical situation: If you had a doppelganger from another dimension that had the exact same taste and was like you in every way except that, in his dimension, they developed a form of game that's played with your foreskin and a tuning fork and video games never caught on, what would you recommend he play? That was released this century.I left a metric fuckton of great games off that list simply because it was taking too long and I was getting antsy. It's just there to maybe remind some people of some shit they may have forgotten about.
51VjlsQigLL._AA280_.jpg51CCM50WPRL._SL500_AA280_.jpgWhat? Yeah, I said it muthafucka!pulp_fiction_index.jpg
The floor recognizes Mr. Hakujin. Good call, more of this. There are games I've totally forgotten about as well.

ah, so its "my favorite", then. cause a top 20 overall reads to me like most important/influential, where games like GTA3, WoW, Sims etc would belong - but would have no place on my personal top 20. ok, that list is way easier...be back with it.

ah, so its "my favorite", then. cause a top 20 overall reads to me like most important/influential, where games like GTA3, WoW, Sims etc would belong - but would have no place on my personal top 20. ok, that list is way easier...be back with it.

Oh, yeah. Fuck. See, that never even occurred to me. If I liked it, it was a good game. If I didn't, it was not. It's highly personal. It's like that Lavey quote, "Good is what you like, evil is what you don't like."

But I totally get ya now, there have been a lot that should get thrown in as a given based on the sway they had on culture or gaming as a whole.

Somewhat on that note, this is John Q. Public, AKA The Seething Masses top 20 games of the decade.

In order.

1. Wii Sports

2. Wii Play

3. Wii Fit

4. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

5. Mario Kart Wii

6. Gran Turismo 3: A Spec

7. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

8. Grand Theft Auto III

9. Gran Turismo 4

10. Halo 3

11. Super Smash Brothers Brawl

12. Halo 2

13. Super Mario Galaxy

14. Final Fantasy X

15. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

16. Super Smash Brothers Melee

17. Mario & Sonic at the Olympics

18. Mario Kart: Double Dash

19. Grand Theft Auto IV

20. Need for Speed: Underground

:love: Hey humanity: YOU SUCK!

GTA: San Andreas is the only one there that's gonna make my list.

Oh, yeah. Fuck. See, that never even occurred to me. If I liked it, it was a good game. If I didn't, it was not. It's highly personal. It's like that Lavey quote, "Good is what you like, evil is what you don't like."

But I totally get ya now, there have been a lot that should get thrown in as a given based on the sway they had on culture or gaming as a whole.

Somewhat on that note, this is John Q. Public, AKA The Seething Masses top 20 games of the decade.

In order.

1. Wii Sports

2. Wii Play

3. Wii Fit

4. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

5. Mario Kart Wii

6. Gran Turismo 3: A Spec

7. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

8. Grand Theft Auto III

9. Gran Turismo 4

10. Halo 3

11. Super Smash Brothers Brawl

12. Halo 2

13. Super Mario Galaxy

14. Final Fantasy X

15. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

16. Super Smash Brothers Melee

17. Mario & Sonic at the Olympics

18. Mario Kart: Double Dash

19. Grand Theft Auto IV

20. Need for Speed: Underground

:love: Hey humanity: YOU SUCK!

GTA: San Andreas is the only one there that's gonna make my list.

Dude did you get that from Play? I can totally see that douchery going down.

since you said personal i had to go back and add 2's to some of those @.@

damn, this took some effort for me (not nearly as much as logan, natch) so in no particular order, here goes my personal top 20 of the decade.

Silent Hill 2 (PS2) - the bar for what psych horror can do.

Shenmue 2 (DC) - one of the most enveloping RPGs ive had the pleasure to experience.

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (PS2) - i know its lame to have 2 from the same series here, but this was such a standout game for me for different reasons than 3.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (GC) - Ocarina just barely misses the date cutoff, and this was the only other one that gave me that sense of wonder i long for from the series.

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PS2) - this is possibly the very top of my list. Such an amazing game.

Katamari Damacy (PS2) - i still play variations of this, all the time.

Rez (DC) - another fine piece of zen gaming.

Okami (PS2) - when Zelda kinda let me down, Amaterasu picked me up.

Shadow of the Colossus (PS2) - this and Ico are both pieces of art, but this one resonated more.

Resident Evil 4 (GC) - this did for RE & action titles what Gears would later do for most everything else.

Final Fantasy XII (PS2) - the best FF since VI. silence; you're wrong.

BioShock (360) - bought a 360 mostly on this game. did not regret doing so.

The Orange Box (360) - would've bought this for Portal alone; HL2 isnt bad either.

No More Heroes (wii) - Travis Touchdown fights Nathan Drake for my favorite new protagonist of this gen.

Fallout 3 - I enjoyed Mass Effect, but this was probably my first real delving into a W-RPG and getting what the hype was about.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (PS3) - Improved on the original (a fantastic game in itself) in nearly every way. this game was like a roller coaster ride.

Animal Crossing (GC) (im told Metroid Prime goes here, i need to finish that one day) this and Phantasy Star Online are as close as i got to MMO's.

LittleBigPlanet (PS3) - yeah, physics are wonky but replayability is insane, and what this game did for community stuff is huge, possibly before-its-time huge. inevitable sequel should be amazing if sony backs it the way they should.

Rock Band (360) - I kinda watched the Guitar Hero thing from afar, but adding bass, vocals & drums essentially turned my house parties off from the wii and onto this. i dont play it much solo, but its great for groups of all kinds.

Persona 3: FES (PS2) - i was really giving up faith in my formerly-favorite genre as a kid, Xenosaga series let me down hard. This game took my perception (also of the series itself) and did so much with it.

honorable nods to Braid (fantastic for an arcade title), Dead Space, Tales of Vesperia (progressive JRPGs...we need more of them), Left 4 Dead (i do love the new emphasis on co-op gaming), Mirror's Edge, Batman: Arhkham, Killer 7, Eternal Darkness, few others. if idve finished Persona 4, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, Zone of the Enders 2 or a few others, they mightve made the list as well.

im waiting on a handheld list just to say The World Ends With You a bunch of times.

Dude did you get that from Play? I can totally see that douchery going down.

since you said personal i had to go back and add 2's to some of those @.@

Nah, it's just the best selling games this decade.

Great lists so far. I can't believe I forgot about Shadow of the Colossus and Spider-Man 2. I'm trying to judge purely by how much time I spent playing. Here's half, the other half demands more thinking.

Disgaea - Over 300 hours grinding, killing the council and doing the same few levels over and over again. I had so much fun, it's definitely a favorite, but it's the only game on this list I never beat. I just never got around to it. I was leveled enough to mindlessly plow thru the remainder of the game, but it's like I didn't want it to actually end or something.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - This is why I bought a 360. Didn't play anything else for a while. I know every NPC in this game on a first name basis, I have thoroughly violated every orifice it has to offer.

Fable II - Forget all the broken promises. Fable is charming as shit. I probably played the first one more, but it's hard to go back. This game seems to have a mystical power to entice non-gamers into playing for hours on end (Geeble gobble geeble gobble ONE OF US, ONE OF US!)

Fallout 3 - So much epic.

GTA: San Andreas - For about 4 months I didn't play anything else. Hundreds of hours spent honing my police evasion skills

Power Stone 2 - Great at a party, great alone. Collectible items, a shop with hundreds of new items, a couple of hidden characters and levels that constantly keep you on your toes.

Rock Band 2 - I would say "Rock Band" in general, but the sequel improved upon the formula in practically every way.

Skies of Arcadia - Sprawling and wonderful RPG, and one of the best uses of the Dreamcast's VMU. I was progressing in Skies of Arcadia while sitting in a dentists waiting room.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometimes, right? Nope. Not so much. It's evil to be evil, and it's horribly satisfying to fully embrace the power of the darkside, and almost as much to be a bastion of hope.

World of Warcraft - I eventually lost interest, but WoW managed to hold it for an unprecedented amount of time. It ruins all other MMO's for you, the amount of polish and fine tuning becomes abundantly clear once you play something inferior (i.e.: everything).

World of Warcraft - I eventually lost interest, but WoW managed to hold it for an unprecedented amount of time. It ruins all other MMO's for you, the amount of polish and fine tuning becomes abundantly clear once you play something inferior (i.e.: everything).

This rings out so true. I myself started out on MMO's with FFXI, then GuildWars before I played WoW, and I went back to them eventually when WoW got old for me the first time around, and holy shit... Shit was so hard to play (ESPECIALLY FFXI). WoW rules them all so far, even years later.

Games that woulda made my list if it were a top 30 :rant:

Final Fantasy 12- i need to get this again

Dead Space- Scared the hell out of me very much so and I so can't wait for part 2 :ded:

Pokemon Stadium 2- .................................................................................. what? My Mewtwo'll kick your Lugia's rooty pooty candy ass

Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction- I smashed. I smashed well

Animal Crossing- makes me miss my GC

Amplitude- the one that started it all

The Suffering- better and creepier than it was given credit for

King Kong- this needed more Kong-play

Heavenly Sword- makes Kratos look like a pussy

The Darkness- I'd like a sequel please and to start with all powers......... and just add more

• 2 weeks later...
Nah, it's just the best selling games this decade.

Great lists so far. I can't believe I forgot about Shadow of the Colossus and Spider-Man 2. I'm trying to judge purely by how much time I spent playing. Here's half, the other half demands more thinking.

Disgaea - Over 300 hours grinding, killing the council and doing the same few levels over and over again. I had so much fun, it's definitely a favorite, but it's the only game on this list I never beat. I just never got around to it. I was leveled enough to mindlessly plow thru the remainder of the game, but it's like I didn't want it to actually end or something.

:FHD:

funny twin snakes isn't even in ic's honorable mentions... hrm.

I don't have much time to play or finish games, but i would have to say the ones i found fun were:

Gran Turismo, latter the better... forza 3 definately (no one mentioned this i think) halo 3, 2, 1 all of them, call of duty2 and MW2, Grand theft auto 4, metal gear 1 (have not played 3-4), prototype, bomberman generations, soul calibur 2. mabye i'm missing some, but will come back if more come to mind

maybe not in this decade? puzzle fighter, street fighter2

funny twin snakes isn't even in ic's honorable mentions... hrm.

I don't have much time to play or finish games, but i would have to say the ones i found fun were:

Gran Turismo, latter the better... forza 3 definately (no one mentioned this i think) halo 3, 2, 1 all of them, call of duty2 and MW2, Grand theft auto 4, metal gear 1 (have not played 3-4), prototype, bomberman generations, soul calibur 2. mabye i'm missing some, but will come back if more come to mind

maybe not in this decade? puzzle fighter, street fighter2

:FHD:

Hmm...

In no particular order:

Halo: First FPS on a console done right, amazing AI great gameplay, and spawned a some hella good sequels. The first one though got the most replay.

Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows over Amn - Back in the day, to play a game like this you needed a PC, and you loved it. But honestly, this game was amazing, memorable characters, varied gameplay, and one hell of a story by the time everything was said and done. The vampire and underdark settings were epic. Torment would have been on the list as well, but that was 1999.

Diablo 2: One of the greatest games of all time. Still fun as hell 10 years later. No other game has gotten the loot/advancement/killing balance done as perfectly as as D2 did, and the fact that you can still easily find people to play with 10 years later speaks well of it. Plus Necros rule.

Final Fantasy XII: Best JRPG of the decade. It took the best of what did work in JRPGs, threw out a lot of what didn't, and added in a sense of scope and more importantly PLACE that is rarely seen in those games.

The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowwind: Oblivion was really good, but Morrowind was just special, much more interesting geogaphically, and with a much better story Morrowwind set you in an alien land, and by the time it was done, you felt a part of it. So many cool towns, castles and dungeons, Oblivion could never match the range of awesome here.

Ninja Gaiden Black: Action game of the forever. Yeah, 2 was buggy and unfinished, but NG1 was a friggen godsend when it came out, and it still maked DMC feel slow by comparison. The combat was fast, unforgiving, and 100% awesome. No other action game this decade came close.

Shenmue 2: While not as minutely detailed as part 1, it didn't have to be because there was so very much to do. Great story, better atmosphere, and... adequate controls. More than any other game Shenmue made you live the life of another person, and did it convincingly. Yu Suzuki, you will be missed.

Metal Gear Solid 3: While the controls were too complex for their own good at times, honestly you never cared when playing this game. Not only did it look better than it had any right to, it turned Big Boss into one of the greatest video game characters of all fucking time. MGS3, like the best games out there, felt epic. Shame this one sold worse than the others, it really was the best.

Mass Effect: For years JRPGs had amazing visuals, but little choice and WRPGs had amazing choices but lower end presentation. Mass Effect had all of the above. The game looked amazing, played amazing, and told a great sci-fi story. Bravo to Bioware, and I can't beleive part 2 comes out in a month.

Silent Hill 2: Best survival horror game by such a wide margin, it almost feels unfair to compare it to any others. There two types of people in this world, those who know that "In Water" is one of the greatest endings in a video game ever, and those who are horribly, horribly wrong.

10 down, I'll do the rest later, have a party to prepare for.

here we go...(eta)i only did ten otherwise stuff would be redundant. i could easily put stuff i didn't enjoy as much or put the sims twice, and RB beatles and all other forms of RB but i think this is better.

10. Beautiful Katamrai- it's a BALL OF STUFF. WEE!

9. Spore- I wanted this to be awesome. Creature Creator WAS awesome, but the gameplay was tedious. what a pity.

8. halo- many a night of playing with the kiddo. pure win.

7. Soul Calibur 3 (ps 2)- ivy kicks ass. with a whip. muhahaha.

6. Batman A.A.- the artwork, and stuff. loved it.

5. The Sims2- the end all of my old P.C. and many nights without the internets. pure hilarity. Lead me to the sims 3, which would have made my list but there can ONLY BE ONE.

4. GH 2- I never played the first, but this was the end all of all ends....

3. Rockband- i always wanted to be in a band!!!1111

2. Modern Warfare 1- i hated playing online at first, everyone was SOOOOOOO much better than me. well. i shot those fuckers down. which lead me to 2. pure win.

1. fallout 3- ayup. the one that pulled me away from the sims2 and made me into the evil warlord i am today. I totes got all my husbands acheivements and then some. i only wish i could be more involved (as in i just don't have the time...poo.) i consider it, 'the one who got away'.

9. Spore- I wanted this to be awesome. Creature Creator WAS awesome, but the gameplay was tedious. what a pity.

Agreed on the awesomness of Creature Creator, but I think people gave up on this one too soon. Space stage is where the meat of the game is at, the rest is just a tutorial. The problem is I don't think many people actually got that far, and if they did they were too bored with the game to play it much.

1. fallout 3- ayup. the one that pulled me away from the sims2 and made me into the evil warlord i am today. I totes got all my husbands acheivements and then some. i only wish i could be more involved (as in i just don't have the time...poo.) i consider it, 'the one who got away'.

I proudly had all the achievements, until The Pitt added that bullshit "collect all the steel ingots" one. I hate collecting-things achievements. I'm sitting at 98/100 and I aint combing though for hours to find 2 little pieces of metal I missed.

Who the fuck am I kidding, I'll totally do just that eventually.

NES

A Boy and His Blob

Bubble Bobble

Castlevania

Contra

Dragon Warrior

Dragon Warrior II

Dragon Warrior III

DuckTales

Final Fantasy

Kid Icarus

The Legend of Zelda