Hondo's Bar

Mortal Kombat reboot

http://kotaku.com/5558339/if-this-is-the-n...ovie-sign-us-up

Michael Jai White as Jax? Jeri Ryan as Sonya Blade? Baraka and Reptile as homicidal maniacs? This footage from what looks to be the next Mortal Kombat game or movie trailer is brutal, disgusting, and perfect.

Reader Kev directed us to this video, featuring a realistic new take on the Mortal Kombat franchise that has more in common with movies like suspense and horror films like Seven and Saw than anything resembling the campy video game to film adaptations we've seen in the past.

Characters (thus far)

Jax

Sonya Blade

Reptile

Baraka

Sub-Zero

Scorpion

Johnny Cage (brief XD)

If nothing else, the trailer looks good.

Edited by Genroh

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh fuck this. That is the most over-indulgent, hackneyed, cheap, retarded ass piece of shit I've ever seen. Mortal Kombat may have only been kind of good and the sequel may have been shit but I'm not signing up for Twisted Metal Black:Mortal Kombat Edition.. The game was designed as a cross between a Jean-Claude Van Damme movie (Johnny Cage), Big Trouble in Little China (Rayden), The Terminator (Kano), and a myriad of other martial arts movies. It was always about mixed martial arts fighting, the fatalaties and weird creatures were all just keeping with the style of 1960s and 1970s kung fu movies. This overly-dark Linosgate film style thing is about as hackneyed as they come, "Hey, serial killers of Madeupbullshit City, come fight in my tournament because... I guess killing people means you're good at fighting, right?"

If they wanted to make a Thrill Kill movie they should have just done that.

Edited by Iambaytor

Baytor- this right here, dunno if you've gotten the point or had any inclination to up to this point, is my exact objection to Wanted the Movie. The producers are using a name to attach to their project which really has fuck all to do with the source material. In my opinion, I could dig this take on MK, but yeah, I think this is where I need to start pointing to 'friendships' and telling you to STFU and enjoy the ride, Mary.

Steel gun-fucking > friendships any day.

Baytor- this right here, dunno if you've gotten the point or had any inclination to up to this point, is my exact objection to Wanted the Movie. The producers are using a name to attach to their project which really has fuck all to do with the source material. In my opinion, I could dig this take on MK, but yeah, I think this is where I need to start pointing to 'friendships' and telling you to STFU and enjoy the ride, Mary.

Steel gun-fucking > friendships any day.

My problem is less with the change in venue and more that it's pants-on-head retarded. If they wanted to go with the gritty serial killer angle they could've made it some pseudo-The Condemned bullshit involving warehouses and guns and snuff films, instead they've taken Mortal Kombat and turned the brightness all the way down. They have applied the Twisted Metal Black formula to Mortal Kombat and just like with Twisted Metal Black it makes no fucking sense. The game was already dark and terrible and violent, why did Se7en have to shit all over it in addition?

It's like reading the thoughts out of my head re; Wanted. I have no defence or condemnation to offer in this scenario, I just look forward to seeing what Sexyhat says, that champion of poor early 90's game movies that he is...

Man, why shit on this? This seems like the normal evolution for this property. Mortal Kombat was cool when we were kids and we all have biased love for it, but it was corny as hell. It's still corny, but all's grown-up... like us. I say give this a chance. It's seems like a live action trailer for an upcoming game. A game that is doing something VERY different (if it stays a fighting game).

As much as I'd love 'em to work, 'realistic' fighting games have rockier predecessors than German infrastructure, looking at things like The Imperfects, Tao Feng, Fight Club, etc. However MK Vs DC was suprisingly fun, so I'ma just not underestimate the developers for a minute and see what comes.

Having now seen that trailer, the only real difference between it and the two existing movies is a grittier camera filter. Baytor- if you'll recall the movies tried on that BS with tenuously trying to explain shit on a real world level as well. This makes no further attempt to do so but simply tries on a grittier perspective that folks mistake for 'real world'. Same thing the creators did with the Shield for 7 seasons with shaky cam.

Man, why shit on this? This seems like the normal evolution for this property. Mortal Kombat was cool when we were kids and we all have biased love for it, but it was corny as hell. It's still corny, but all's grown-up... like us. I say give this a chance. It's seems like a live action trailer for an upcoming game. A game that is doing something VERY different (if it stays a fighting game).

Because it's not an evolution, it's a gimmick. Even more-so than Twisted Metal Black. Honestly I'm pretty much expecting this to be viral advertising for a Uwe Boll movie. The production values, dumb writing, and mildly popular actors all point that direction. But if they're going to go the Saw angle they should not make it a fighting competition. Serial killers aren't trained fighter, in fact a good deal of them are quite the opposite. If they went a Manhunt angle with this I might be interested but they're not going to, they just want to make it darker for the sake of darkness. This'll be Legend of Chun Li to Mortal Kombat's Street Fighter.

Also: Jay is right, I'd forgotten that Jax was a cameo in the first one as he and Sonia were trying to track down the serial killer Kano.which was why she joined the tournament to begin with. This is just the first two movies with the darkness turned up.

Edited by Iambaytor

Maybe..., but then again maybe not. So far what we know about this is that this is (maybe) a rough draft to what's to come. Some director REALLY wants to direct a different kind of MK movie. He get's some friends together (cause they owe him favors) and puts this together JUST to show to a movie company saying 'if you like this, hire me and there's more where that came from'. Obviously, they put it on the internet on purpose cause they knew it would rile-up the fans. And you know, force the movie company to comply with the masses. I think it's smart and has great potential. NO ONE saw the Chun-Li trailer and thought THAT was gonna be good. It seems you are in the minority on this so who knows? When it bombs... you get to tell me I told you so.

It's a video game movie, based on a game with a shitty story to begin with that honestly wasn't even that good, and all they're doing is making a slightly darker version of the previous iterations with writing gems like a "lizard man" who keeps the heads of his victims in his fridge to eat when he gets hungry, an action star signing up with the police to do undercover because he "needs work", and a martial arts tournament being held exclusively for serial killers. I'm going to go ahead and tell you that now.