Hondo's Bar

Anime You Dislike/like

Sango

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good point sango, i almost forgot about those...

those stupid oavs that are flops of the olden days. the ones that you would find on the shelf that were never rented at your video store. just totally missing any intellect, plot, or art. outlanders - something something teacher - tekken - twin doll - 8man after - lillycat - a-ko... these were not japan's better years...

Anime based on fighting games can go either way.

Im one of the few who liked Street Fighter (especially after the live action movie...ugh), thought Fatal Fury wasnt bad either. I hear some of SF Alpha's ok, but yeah i saw most of Tekkn, it was pretty weak, sadly. I know there's more of em im forgettin here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

You should try Macross: do you rememeber love. That movie puts Macross plus to shame. Macross:dyrl

is about to turn 19 years old, but it still looks way better then macross plus. You should also try the

Gundam movie trilogy. Star wars can't touch these movies, and the hero of gundam didn't have his

ass saved by some damn teddy bear.

It how I feel. I like Star Wars, but the last three movies were duds. The magic from the first two were

gone. The gundam trilogy still kicks ass. I mean what cooler. Two metal monsters beating the crap

out each other, or some teddy bear screming yub yub while beating a huge ass army with a stick.

Talking of OVAs, I just watched the Rurouni Kenshin series (Four half-hour episodes) and they are excellent. Much more serious than the TV series, and with a dark, gritty artwork style to compliment it. There's no comedy, no mucking around, and no unrealistic fighting stuff. The story is fantastic; why Kenshin is a wanderer, why he's vowed never to kill again, and why he has the cross-shaped scar on his cheek. Plus, it has the best anime fight scenes I've seen outside of Ninja Scroll. It's released in the US and Europe as 'Samurai X' (2 DVDs, Trust and Betrayal, 2 episodes on each) - don't let the shitty name put you off; it rocks.

All I'm sayign to you, newtype, is make your you've got your priorities straight. If your intent is to be honest, by all means, say whatever you think. If your intent is to push anime on the layman, don't say stuff liek that. Maybe it is better than Star Wars, just don't say it. If you're applying for sainthood, don't say your greater than God.

• 1 month later...

Just came across this one - NewType's scarce these days (just had his appendix removed) but Alex, you serious about Macross: Do You Remember Love putting Plus to shame? That series was great, sharp animation, good story, great soundtrack (same composer as Escaflowne & Cowboy Bebop)...i guess ill havta see that one.

I just saw Grave of the Fireflies, and holy fuckin shit, thats a movie and a half... Probably the most depressing fuckin thing I've ever seen in my life. Oh, and I think I saw IC say that this was a Mizaki movie... no no no no no. Mizaki would never make anything like this. Ya might say that because this movie has the same animation director as his stuff, but the sad bastard who wrote/directed this one is Isao Takahata, wonder if his other stuff is any good?

Anyways, this was fuckin amazing. One of the better war movies I've ever seen. It has the attention to detail and great artistry of Mizaki's work, but it tells a realistic, heart-breaking story of two kids in ww2 Japan during the firebombings. I was just staring blankly at the credits, shaking when this movie was over. It's safe to say it's up there with my favorite animes. I've never seen an anime that was so realistic and human. The schindler's list of anime. Brilliant though, a must see.

Chihiro left that one here for me with her Mizaki box set, im watchin it soon...

No, not directly by him but its done in his studio, he had a hand in it, hence why his name's on the credits & its in the box set. Ive heard nothing bout good bout it (except from Spiffy, maybe he thought it too sad?), glad to hear you liked it too - where did you see it? Ill post back after I knock out some more Kenshin & get a chance to watch it.

Nah, I just borrowed it off my little sister, who buys any anime at random. She has it back now. I'll buy it eventually, I'm going on an anime buying spree once Spirited away comes out, grabbing all of Mizaki's stuff and this one. It's a pretty big release though, should be at the rental places.

I recommend importing Mizaki's box set, Chi-chan has it & left it with me here, ill get back to you when ive seen more of it. My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki's delivery service, Mononoke, Grave of Fireflies...its all here, plus "on your mark" this great short film spiffy introduced me to.

Youd have to buy Spirited Away on its own but no big deal.

yeah... i asked aadil if ic could borrow the sopranos 3rd season set. he said, 'nick'll never get around to it and then he'll never sent it back."

i almost forgot he had that dvd set... "harr, arrr, harr"

so there you go, when we get it back jax, give us a holla. spirited away is here though.

Aadil's a ho, when i visit im jackin that thing and keeping it for like a year.

Yeah, i know im takin forever with the Mizaki set but its your fault for sendin alla that Kenshin...crap, youve got Spirited Away there? Ok seriously, next thing past Kenshin will be the Mizaki set, GTO will havta wait...

I was out buying Zwan's new CD and I saw Grave of the Fireflies and decided on Junker's glowing recommenation to buy it. If you have a soul, I don't care whose, you will be crying, at least on the inside, by the end of this movie. So sad. Comes highly recommended from me, so you know it's good :sly:

Hah...

Bird - that joke was barely acceptable, hah...but no please dont let Sailor Moon be your sole representative of anime...

Oh, and let it be known im at least 3/4 through Kenshin, not too much left to go, and this one's offically taken the slot as my favorite series. Cant wait to see the remaining OAV's.

defending DBZ and the Chucrh!......u must have a thing for punishment...and lost causes

As far as the Church goes, I don't believe that trying, with the Grace God gives me and not by my own power/ability, to save souls is a lost cause. If, God willing of course, I go though the seminary then that'll be my job.

DBZ, hey I like it, but I really like Yu-Yu Hakusho more than DBZ.

Really? Man you must be takin to Yu-Yu, maybe i shouldve watched more of that one. It seemed interestin but then FIU Anime Club switched over to Flams of Recca (another good fighting anime Benny, check this one out if you get a chance).

How'd you learn of Hakusho, do they show it on adult swim these days or what?