Hondo's Bar

New Hulk Tv Show Announced

comicbookmovie.com

New Hulk TV Show In The Works, Cloak And Dagger Also Being Developed

23968.jpg

Big news from Marvel's TV department. Not only is a new Hulk TV show in development, but the relatively obscure team of Cloak And Dagger, too. AND, we have a full list of characters that are on Marvel's radar... After the hugely popular original 70s-80s tv show starring Bill Bixby, Marvelmag-glass_10x10.gif and ABC are brining the not so jolly green giant back to the small screen.

Hulk is one of two projects that are priorities at Marvel Television. Marvel Studio’s TV division which has been operating under the radar since Jeph Loeb took the reins at the end of June. The second hot property is Cloak and Dagger which is being developed as a possible show for ABC Family.

cnl.jpg

Apparently both shows are in the very early stages of development, Hulk being the front-runner, with Loeb currently meeting with writers to get ideas together for Cloak And Dagger. Word is that Marvel will have a full list and presentation of their planned shows around May. For the moment, here are the characters tickling their fancy..

• Heroes for Hire (focusing on ex-con Luke Cage offering to take on bad guys for a price)

• The Eternals (a race of super-powered beings live amid humanity in secret, inspiring legends)

• Agents of Atlas, Alter Ego (private investigator Jessica Jones takes on cases involving superhumans)

• Moon Knight, the Red Hood (a low-rent criminal discovers a cloak that gives him superpowers)

• Ka-Zar (a Tarzan-type and his saber-toothed tiger must journey to the concrete jungle to seek justice)

• Daughters of the Dragon (a dynamic female duo, one with a bionic arm and the other a granddaughter of a samurai, open a private-detective agency)

• The Punisher (one man wages a war on crime; already adapted as three feature films).

Apparently Punisher is also a definite, but as a cable play, and not for a long while after the two above projects. It's unknown if the shows will link with the movies, or even with each other. Since Marvel have gone to great lengths to establish a shared movie universe, it's a fair bet they might try something similar here.

It wasn't said explicitly in your post, but this is all presumably live action, since Marvel developing animated TV shows is not news. I wonder if they'll try to tie the movie universe into the TV shows, rather than have a separate but consistent within itself TV universe. Obviously, it might be difficult to have RDJ or Scarlet Johansson or Chris Evans cameo in a show, and who knows if Mark Ruffalo is receptive to starring in a TV show (he might me if it's the kind of high quality show HBO and Showtime and AMC and FX have been producing of late). All fun questions....

I'm all systems go for a new weekly Hulk one hour drama. If done correctly, that is. However, the fact Jeph Loeb is in charge of Marvels creative team for TV series leaves me more than a little wary--*cough *RULK*cough*.

And I've never read Agents of Atlas, but I'm all for Jessica Jones in a series. Too bad Bendis' ALIAS isn't slated for a series. I always thought it would lend itself well to a TV series.

And, if handled properly, The Eternals could be the new LOST.

Most of these sound like miniseries rather than actual shows. Agents of Atlas is awesome and tossing Jessica Jones in just makes an incongruous addition to an already full (albeit great) ensemble cast. I don't think it would work well as a tv series anyway, it's too retro.

Yeah, you made the right call, Thrizzlerumpus. Let's just hope Marvel Studios handles using their properties better than DC/WB has done. Ten years of Smallville (the last six of which I couldn't tell you anything about) and a neutered season of Birds of Prey are all they could come up with as far as live-action TV series go.

I'm all systems go for a new weekly Hulk one hour drama. If done correctly, that is. However, the fact Jeph Loeb is in charge of Marvels creative team for TV series leaves me more than a little wary--*cough *RULK*cough*.

And I've never read Agents of Atlas, but I'm all for Jessica Jones in a series. Too bad Bendis' ALIAS isn't slated for a series. I always thought it would lend itself well to a TV series.

And, if handled properly, The Eternals could be the new LOST.

I'm guessing the list format is simply fucked and it's basically 2 separate suggestions per line. And so, Alter Ego's exactly that. I think the name ALIAS was taken by some jennifer Garner indie project though.

Yeah, they seriously need to retire Loeb just as they do Miller, Lee & Claremont.

• 5 weeks later...

Guillermo Del Toro Developing 'Incredible Hulk' TV Series for ABC After All

New reports confirm Hellboy's Guillermo Del Toro & David Eick in negotiations to create ABC's Hulk live-action series. Make the jump for specs as well quotes from them both. While Io9 revealed the news exclusively last month, Deadline is now reporting that the genius behind Pan's Labyrinth & Hellboy, Guillermo Del Toro, and executive producer behind Battlestar Galactica David Eick, are locked for placing Marvel TV & ABC Studios' live-action 'Hulk' series in full effect.

srfergreg.jpg

guillermo_lgl.jpg

"It will mark Marvel's first series project for ABC and ABC Studios since Disney's acquisition of Marvel last year and the launch of Marvel's TV division in June. It also marks del Toro's first TV project. Details of the premise are sketchy but I hear that the series will follow an origin story. In it, physicist Bruce Banner, whose alter ego is the green and raging Hulk, will be in his mid-twenties, less reactive and more energized as the world is still his oyster.

davideick.jpg

Del Toro and Eick will break the story for the pilot script together, and sharing story by credit. Eick will write the script, with del Toro attached to direct subject to his availability. Unlike the two Hulk movies, in which the monster was a pure CGI creation, the series will employ a mixture of prosthetics, puppetry and CGI. Del Toro will also oversee the designing of the Hulk character, which is expected to draw on previous comic book incarnations, as well as the original 1978-82 Incredible Hulk TV series, with a few wild tweaks on the old look."

Deadline further claims that Marvel TV identified The Hulk as a property they wanted to pursue for a TV series in the summer and, along with ABC Studios, launched a search for a writer to pen the adaptation. And Eick spoke on the idea of a Hulk series to Del Toro. Apparently, Deadline also got a few words from both Del Toro & Eick on the new gig.

"I have always been attracted at the combination of comic book heroics and monsters, Jack Kirby's Demon or Kamandi or DC's Deadman or Marvel's Dr. Strange, Morbius, Metamorpho, Mike Mignola's Hellboy, etc" Del Toro said. We coalesced a respectful but powerful way of retelling the Banner/Hulk story in a fresh way."

"I've enjoyed the challenging, rewarding process of revisiting beloved characters," Eick said. "[Hulk is] one of the crown jewels of the Marvel world for generations", [and it's a ] dream opportunity to join one of my all-time film-making heroes, Guillermo del Toro, in a faithful but unique retelling of the primal, emotionally-rich tale of one of my all-time comic book."

Marvel Studios is considering launching the Hulk Tv adaption following the 2012 release of the highly-anticipated Avengers movie, which Mark Ruffalo is signed on to portray the Goliath's better half. What do you think?

This could be very interesting.

Archived