Hondo's Bar

X-Men: Destiny

Thelogan

A new breed of mutant heroes will invade game consoles this fall in X-Men: Destiny, from Marvel Entertainment and Activision. The all-new original video game casts players as new mutant recruits in a rich, branching storyline that features a deep element of choice and gives players ultimate control of their destiny.

Teaser

Teaser 2

1305915960.jpg

1305915962.jpg

1305915969.jpg

x-men-destiny-a-620x348.jpg

x-men-destiny-1-620x348.jpg

x-men-destinyn.jpg

x-men-destiny-3.jpg

x-men-destiny-r.jpg

Official Site. Don't really know fuck all about it, but I expect that will change in a few weeks.

huh. well, the X-Men Legends/Ultimate Alliance formula was getting stale, so at least this looks different.

hope it's not like the parts in XML1 where you were running around as Magma, talking to :wolvy: and other characters you wished you were playing as instead, though.

• 4 weeks later...

So a little more info, via GI,

You will be playing as one of 3 brand new characters, you will not play as any known X-Men characters. You choose a character and a base power.

You haven't picked an allegiance yet (X-Men/Brotherhood), and your choices shape how your powers evolve. There a gene splicing system that mixes your powers with those of other characters.

Still waiting for more information. On one hand, this is from the people that brought us Too Human...but they also made Eternal Darkness and Blood Omen.

I'm okay with not playing as an established character because, you think about it it gives the story more freedom to unfold, with some input/cameos from the big names like Wolvie and such, but fucking hell. Having just played through Too Human, I don't know that these monsters are capable of doing any good in this world. I know nothing of the games Logan mentioned and will assume they're indie PC games.

whoah, yeah, kinda surprised too here. Eternal Darkness was some of the best psych-horror out there, i only got around to finishing it last year or so. i'm sure he played Legacy of Kain somewhere between dreamcast & PSX though, i assume most of us did.

Right, my bad. I played some Soul Reaver or whichever Legacy of Kain port made it to N64(probably not the best source?), but am drawing a big blank on Eternal Darkness. I wanna say it never dropped in AU but chances are it did, but I was late on the gamecube train. Looks awesome either way. Where were these guys when Too Human was getting made?

Also- Anything I don't instantly recognise that Logan brings up= Indie. The guy might's well carry an acoustic guitar and minidisc player around.

Having read up on Eternal Darkness, I really, really wanna play that now. It looks ever-so-slightly less terrifying than Amnesia(which upon reflection draws heavily on stuff used on ED), and christ knows I'm too much of a purist to play Amnesia anytime otehr than in the dead of night w/headphones on, and it fucks with my brain.

I haven't finished Amnesia, but I can tell you it plays on tension and the unseen a lot more, but they do both have a somewhat similar sanity meter. Eternal is actually pretty actiony most of the time.

I haven't experienced Amnesia breaking the 4th wall, Eternal does several times. I really want to mention one, but if you're genuinely going to play it, it's better if you go in unaware of specifics.

Too late. The Wiki page filled me all in on the

malfunctioning screen stuff. I'm assuming that's part of what got to you? I love that the wiki article actually states 'doesn't affect gameplay unless the player misconstrues them as actual technical malfunctions.'

Thought I'd tag that stuff for any other unfortunates wanting to play it unspoiled by wiki.

And I know what you mean abount Amnesia: maybe only once or twice before(giant tarantulas in RE2 come to mind) have a seen the monster and near shit myself.

Exactly. There's one that pops up when you save, says something like "Are you sure you want to DELETE all of your saved games? All progress will be lost. Continue?" And then when you scroll down it confirms "Yes" and then shows a little progress bar and says "Deleting..." and all your game saves slots are empty. That's the one that almost got me.

I tried to brush a bug, that didn't exist, off my TV once too.

It's a hard game to dig up these days, I snagged a copy at a Half Price books for $30 but I knew I had found gold and didn't want to chance somebody else buying it. I still haven't played it due to having 3 systems and a backlog a mile long, I think I may hit that when I get done with Assassin's Creed.

There's a few reasonably-priced copies on ebay, sadly nothing my impetuous arse can get this weekend though. Ah well, I might even go hunting around a few 2nd hand game shops in the area(because that's what I do for fun anyway).

Back to the matter of Xmen though, the gene-splicing system sounds like a steaming pile of shit, but that's because so many games have tried on different takes to levelling up and mostly fail.

I don't think I'd be bugged by the Mary Sue character you're given to play as so much if they weren't all so spectacularly bland looking. It's like characters you'd make in the "make your own character" section of a fighting game, I know they're supposed to be a blank slate so you can be all self-insertiony but they're just really boring looking.

The idea sounds like it could be cool, but the only example they used was something like "You choose the energy blast power, and you get a gene splice from someone who uses electrical powers (like who? Storm doesn't count) and you can equip it to shoot electricity"

Which sounds pretty lame.

Here's the E3 trailer, actually has some gameplay.

Those graphics look like a PSP game. I'm hoping they're skimping on the visuals in order to make a deep game, because I totally support that sort of thing.

Also: Why is Nightcrawler dressed like a Buddhist chimney sweep?

From where I'm sitting right now, this does not look good.

'baytor, thy have said that later on you can design a costume, which I dig. You still have a point though.

from someone who uses electrical powers (like who? Storm doesn't count)

That's fucking interesting man, that's fucking interesting. Is there no true electric X-Man? Too bad this guy's not a mutant:

infamous-20090320084249178.jpg

Can't see that video from work, but everything I've seen before today had every playable character dressed like a nu-metal frontman.

That's fucking interesting man, that's fucking interesting. Is there no true electric X-Man? Too bad this guy's not a mutant:

Admittedly I'm still early days into inFamous 2 man but, is it something that's ruled out? All the talk I hear is about Cole's unique physiology meaning the Ray sphere reacted differently. Conduits = mutants? Shit. You see where this is going, huh? My default answer for everything's going to become 'reskin inFamous'.

Archived