Hondo's Bar

Powers

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

From what I hear, it's kind of a psuedo-reboot. One of those "jumping on point" books, where you'll certainly get more out of it if you know the previous material.

All hearsay though, I'd love to hear from someone who actually read it. Where the fuck is JZA?

Yooouu rang?

Haven't actually Read Bureau yet. Powers is one of 2-3 titles I still buy month to month and I haven't been able to get into the city to my store in a while. Plus due to poor distribution I missed out on a few issues from Vol 3 and inadverdently spoiled the shit out of the whole last arc for myself so have torrented the whole run and started from scratch. This is why my facebook feed has been jammed up with Powers Panels and my favourite moments before I realised there were serious spoilers there(assuming I can ever convince anyone to make it through Who Killed Retro Girl? and read on).

And Bendis is pretty good with making new jumping on points. Even within 3 volumes I wanna say he approaches every new arc or case with the same vigour freshness(or similar).

• 1 year later...

New Stills From The POWERS TV Series

108115.jpg

The other day we got our first look at Sharlto Copley (District 9) as Christian Walker and Susan Heyward (The Following) as Deena Pilgrim, and now Sony Pictures has released four new images from their upcoming small-screen take on Brian Michael Bendis' comic series.

Follow Mark "RorMachine":

CBMBTNS.png twitterBTNS.png

By Mark "RorMachine" Cassidy - 9/23/2014

WzEHqA0.jpg

xSCtNf8.jpg

HhA2QdL.jpg

xzTtXRw.jpg

"Powers," an edgy dramatic series from Sony Pictures Television and inspired by the graphic novel series of the same name, follows the lives of two homicide detectives, Christian Walker (Copley) and Deena Pilgrim (Heyward), who are assigned to investigate cases involving people with extraordinary abilities, referred to as “Powers.” Set amidst today’s paparazzi culture, Powers asks the questions, what if the world was full of superheroes who aren’t actually heroic at all? What if all that power was just one more excuse for mischief, mayhem, murder, and endorsement deals? Enter the men and women of the Powers Division, the only people brave enough to go up against the overpaid, commercialized, superhumans who glide through the sky imposing their power over the crowds below who both worship and fear them.

Read more at http://www.comicbook...tgXxk9kRH1iM.99

Well FX no more, but now looks like it's finally happening with AMC.

Actually...

On March 19, 2014, it was announced that Powers would become the first original television series on the PlayStation Network, to stream exclusively on PlayStation consoles and will stream in December 2014.[18][19] On July 16, 2014, Susan Heyward, Max Fowler and Adam Godley were cast as Deena Pilgrim, Krispin Stockley and Captain Cross.[20] On August 15, 2014, Deadline reports that Eddie Izzard, Noah Taylor & Olesya Rulin were cast in the roles of "Big Bad" Wolfe, Johnny Royalle and Calista.[21] On August 18, 2014, Sharlto Copley was announced to star as Christian Walker and Michelle Forbes is cast as Retro Girl.[22]

Yeah It's really cool to see Sharlto Copley getting the roles he has been getting. I know alot of people look at the A-Team and dismiss it as being just another summer piece of crap, but it really is worth watching JUST for his performance. Same with Elysium. Dude's versatile as fuck. This is looking great.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The only thing kept me sane through the first eps on offer were Bendis saying 'this is a reimagining' over and over in my head.

I'd written a whole bullet-point post about my thoughts but they all came back to one central statement:

They've spiked everything that made the book unique to create a tv cop drama that tv viewers will probably find interesting.

The only praise I have is for Deena Pilgrim.