Hondo's Bar

Hondo's The Video Game

Mortiis558

So for the longest time I have been thinking about making a video game. More than likely it would be an rpg, as those seem the "easiest" to program and create, and it is one of the genres I know most about.

Now I have been doing modding for years now. Nothing special, just little shit here and there.

So basically I was wondering if anyone would be interested in creating a video game. I would need everything from programmers to advertising. Of course I am not talking about making a PS3/360 game, more along the lines of the Indie games on XBLA.

Now I have a few ideas for a game, but the thing that I want the most, and something I think that is lacking from games period, is a sense of awe-inspiring WONDER. See a lot of games base themselves too much in reality. You have a shooter game with your normal guns, but I am talking about a game where your (this is just an example) shotgun makes guys fly 100ft in the air, or through walls. Or your machine gun shoots grenades instead of bullets.

But since this will more than likely end up being a RPG of some sort, carry that over into that genre. Which would basically mean HUGE enviroments, that aren't the normal every day thing. Gothic 4 kinda hit on it with their fortress built into a huge hollowed out tree. Or maybe mix BLAME! with that idea, and make the whole game take place in a huge tree where you have to either get to the top or the bottom, and have it be more, than just a dungeon crawler with lifeless level after lifeless level. Make every level unique or have certain powers control certain groups of levels and have a running theme through those levels.

Long story short, if you have ever wanted to make a game, yet don't know how, don't want to have to do it all yourself, or just plain don't want to have to work that hard, then let us try and pool all of our talents together and try it out. Eventually I would love to buy into the XBLA Dev Kit and put out a game on XBLA. I mean Call of Cthulu made it to steam, I think we could come up with something almost as good.

I have no idea where we would start, or even how to start making a game, short of pirating RPG Maker 3 or something. Or using mod tools already available in games like Neverwinter Nights 1&2, or Far Cry 2, or Starcraft 2. They all have amazing mod toolsets built in. But let's at least get some game ideas flowing. It doesn't have to be an RPG, but don't talk about making the next Halo-type game, let's keep it within our limited abilities. :D

Ah man this sounds awesome. Like you said, I wouldn't know where to start, but just throwing out some other simple genres that could be nice starting points I would suggest a fighting game or platformer. or combine the rpg into those two? Eager to see what other folks have to expand this.

Ah man this sounds awesome. Like you said, I wouldn't know where to start, but just throwing out some other simple genres that could be nice starting points I would suggest a fighting game or platformer. or combine the rpg into those two? Eager to see what other folks have to expand this.

Yeah either of those could work well, but if it were a platformer we would HAVE to make sure the controls were spot on. Well for any game that is a necessity, but those would be some good genres as well. Or maybe a Double Dragon/Final Fight type game with mild RPG elements. Weapons you could keep and wouldn't break after 3-5 hits. Or you could level up certain elements like faster punches/kicks or a better/bigger combo. Or not losing life when doing your special attack.

I'd also like to add I can make the music for the game. I have plenty of those programs and for some reason I can make cheesy video game music quite easily.

let's keep it within our limited abilities.

oeB8h.gif

:2T:

I like the idea of a simplistic brawler with some oddly deep RPG elements, sorta like that Scott Pilgrim game. There's all kinds of wacky, over the top shit that could be done in that genre, methinks.

Plus, if we just paint our horrible graphics as "ironic and retro", no one will give a shit.

All right, so let's do a brawler with rpg elements.

Now for the brainstorming session. What do we want to do with the game? Do we want to base it off of an existing property or make up a new one? (I don't think we will have to worry about liscencing and brands issues right now)

What will the game be about? How are we going to make it different from every other game out there? I'll will respond with my own input to those questions when I get back from the store. Anyone else have any other ideas put them up. Even if you don't want to take part in making the game, if you just have a neat idea that you think should be included in a video game feel free to respond.

Real quick though, what about a game that is half Final Fight, half Super Metriod/SoTN? Levels just don't scroll sideways, but have different paths?

Real quick though, what about a game that is half Final Fight, half Super Metriod/SoTN? Levels just don't scroll sideways, but have different paths?

Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking actually. That kind of level design always seemed like a fun exercise, with backtracking to unlock new areas you couldn't reach previously.

I also always dig about a million characters, and with no licensing issues we could do some truly sweet fan fic-ish shit.

I know nothing about programming from scratch, I've always used some sort of template/user friendly program. There may very, very well be something out there that could do exactly what we want though.

Things I could maybe help with:

*Level design

*Combat animation

*Character level progression

*Backgrounds

If we wanted to use an existing property then i think it should be soul calibur. That thing is already fan fic heaven plus it gives an excuse to put some really crazy weapons in it as well as a billion characters. Making it a side scroller/platform/puzzler sounds sweet too doesnt need to be soul calibur, but maybe take a page out of its book to create some sorta converged universe.

Well I was planning on using an existing template/user friendly thing to make it starting out. They say a lot can be done with the Starcraft 2 editor so that may be my first avenue of research since I own the game already.

I know there are a few RPG maker-like tools out there for different types of games, but I will need to look into it a little more. The less programming the better, but I think there will be some programming no matter what. I will look around for different engines that we may be able to use.

Starcraft editor? Seriously? I understand you can do some cool stuff, but is it really flexible enough stray far from the core gameplay? I.e. turn an RTS into a sidescrolling beatemup with custom characters? If so, that's pretty rad.

There are template XNA programs that seem to be pretty cool, I'll look into that.

Well you can make side scrolling shooters with it, so it may not be that far of a leap, but I will need to look into it. XNA was the next place I was going to check into. I know you can buy a starter kit for $99 I think it is. But that would be the way to get it onto XBLA Indie.

Yeah, that's for the 360 dev kit if i remember right. There are versions you can play with for free and MonoXNA makes it closer to open source.

TorqueX is probably what we'd be after, the fancier stuff still seems to require some C# knowledge, but some is exactly what knowledge I have, so we may be able to get by.

If we're doing a side-scroller with existing properties, might I make some suggestions?

Rash from Battletoads

Mike Haggar

The Tick

One of the Ninja Turtles (probably Leonardo)

Mack the Knife/Mummy Commando from Captain Commando

Bruce Lee

Duke Nukem (classic)

Jazz Jackrabbit (fucka some Bucky O'Hare)

Martin Riggs from the Lethal Weapon SNES game

Michael Jackson

Rick from Splatterhouse

Wolverine

Spider-Man/Venom

Batman

Dirty Harry

Homer Simpson (from the Simpsons arcade game)

Joe Musashi from Shinobi

The Punisher

Sailor Moon

Bayou Motherfuckin' Billy

Garfield

One of the Lost Vikings

All those characters have games and all one needs to do is play an emulator and get some screencaps for the requisite sprites. You could make it like the Super Mario Crossover game only give deep gameplay as well as the novelty of having all these characters together.

Also if you want to go the extra mile and make it awesome, come up with some ridiculous storyline of why all these characters would exist in the same space and tell it with a straight face.

Pretty much nothing is set in stone at this point. I love some of the later King's Quest games (not the horrible hack and slash one though) and Space Quest and even Police Quest has its merits. The whole genre is great, and lacking in games now a days. Though coming up with script and puzzles and such would require a lot of time and effort. But I am down for that. Even retro pixel style art works with those games still, just look at Gemini Rue, it even has shooting in it. Hell we could even incorporate that into the brawler type game we have going now. If you can't see it, ill explain it in a little bit, trying to think of a way to meld it all an still make it "fun."

But keep the idea's coming...also try to think of a setting for this to take place in. I think we might need to figure out or finalize some other details first, but just keep it floating around in the back of your head.

Also I was thinking "A brawler type game, where you don't lose your weapons, has deep rpg elements, and many different paths"...bah that's fucking Oblivion!

Good point! Lets just go play Oblivion! The Greatest Game That Has Ever Been™ *

See, I don't think we need to lose weapons, now I'm thinking more in terms of a 2D plane. Something very SotN-ish, but with multiple characters having different playstyles. Maybe even so far as some having those nice analog shooting controls. Maybe hotswap characters with an item or at a save point?

I just think it's best to not try something graphically intensive as the first effort. just do something fun, learn the system. I bet we get ideas for other stuff as it goes. That's how it always went for me with RPG maker.

Brought to you by the Society for the Advancement of Irritating Nizasaurus

But how are we going to make it different from SoTN? You remember the whole discussion on making the game you want to play and making the game you should make. Of course this will be a little of both, so it's not that big a deal, but I've played SoTN, I don't just want to make a copy. How could we make it better? MOre characters can be cool, be we will have to balance out each of them. Or we could just make some badass that you don't get until later in the game, or some secrect you unlock. I am totally for tons of secret area's. And when you get to a chest it should actually have something cool/worthwhile in it EVERY TIME!!

YOu know what SoTN and Super Metriod lacked? A good story. They had them, but they were sparse at best. So that's another thing we need to work on eventually. I know Logan can write a good story if he tries, and I am pretty confident in my own abilities, and if anyone else wants to give it a shot, go right ahead.

Archived