Hondo's Bar

Avengers Vs. X-Men

Thelogan

in a Hulk/Thing fight, sure, cause Thing's best idea ever is to put a bucket on his head after fighting :wolvy:

I bust batman's balls on this, but Spidey has been using science to deus ex his way through fights for yaers, Beast is supposed to come up with some shit that stops Luke dead in his tracks like a job application\ and do so while reading poetry hanging upside down though.

• 1 month later...

AvengersXSanction_1_Cover.jpg

Avengers: X-Sanction. The official prequel to an event I've been secretly hyped for since I heard. Yes, its Loeb, but its less Ultimates 3 and more Superman/Batman. This mini wasn't bad and I feel this is right up Nick's alley. If you're planning on picking up Avengers vs X-Men (or even just thinking about it), might as well give this a try first (it might sell ya).

• 2 weeks later...

Can we please stop giving Romita Jr. work? I'm so fucking sick of this guy.

So thoughts: right off the bat, I was put off by the writing. Something about Cap's "play nice Tony" and then Thor yelling "AVENGER'S ASSEMBLE!" just set off my hokey shit alarms. JR Jr probably didn't help. Those first two pages were the most disappointing parts of the book though, nothing else made me groan.

I really think by the end of this it's going to be cemented that Cyclops is leading the new Brotherhood, but it's being done the way it always should have. They aren't maliciously "evil", they just do what they have to.

The Nova digital comic is impressive. I was dubious, but they manage to really do some things that are only possible digitally and don't take away from the comic book form. Just add to it.

For instance, I use full screen zoomed in panels and I tap the arrow right key to go to the next one. There's a part where it shows Nova with an out of focus phoenix force in the background and a dialog box. then when I press right, it doesn't go to new panel: a new dialog box appears and the panel shifts to focus on the phoenix force and nova out of focus in the foreground. This same technique is used several times, for color shifts and when his vision is clearing after being knocked out. It could be used in a physical comic, but it would require several panels and panel transitions naturally feel like a span of time. This doesn't.

Little shit, but it's pretty neat.

Agreed on most gripes. The Cable prequel and zero issue were better. I'm sticking with it, though. I want to like this so bad and probably will (like everything else, apparently).

As far as the digital stuff, I haven't tried it. Is it worth deleting another app to make room for that app?

Wait, I just realized there's a possibility you may be talking about the AR app. That isn't a digital comic, it's like a motion comic/trailer thing that plays when you look at the book with your camera. When I bought AvX #1 digitally, it came with the Nova backup story. I assume the physical comic probably came with a code you can redeem online in order to read it.

If not, message me and I can let you hop on my Comixology account long enough to read it. I'm just unclear if we can both be logged in on the computer or how many devices I can use the same account on. You should check the story out though.

Edited by Thelogan

Yeah, I love Nova. And yeah, I was talkin about the AR thingy. It was really bothering me being all over the issue, but I then got to the end where they kind of explained it and thought, "this might be cool".

My comic also came with a digital code so maybe I also have access to the Nova story. I'll let you know.

can't argue with you guys here - this book would've been a lot more awesome if it happened in the 90s instead of bloodties or whatever, i might not've minded JRJR's art as much then either. he needs to not be on team books like this, much less Avengers. i don't know why they keep making that call, except nepotism. the last dozen or so events have had better artists.

good call on logans' part about the brotherhood circle coming together and alla that too. really though, the whole thing feels somewhat forced, but i didn't read the Cable prequel that panch was saying wasn't bad. ill prolly stick with this one another issue or two but if it kinda drags like Without Fear did, i'm out - i'm well past these big events lately.

• 2 weeks later...

There was some stupid crossover right after Marvel bought out Malibu, when they were still deciding if they were actually going to use the characters or have them buried out in the Arizona desert with copies of the E.T. videogame.

jFPLD.jpg

They really should have spared Rune. He was the light in the darkness of that company.

• 3 weeks later...

So, the fact my and Logan's discussion on Prime a few weeks ago is the latest word on this crossover says a lot. I just read issue #4, and I am a little confused...

Marvel, in true crossover fashion, has really screwed shit up. I'm gonna focus on just one plot element here for a moment to make my point:

The Super Space Team's Battle w/ the Phoenix Force

AvsX #4 - We learn the "Space Team" has failed their mission and the Phoenix Force is still headed for earth.

Avengers #26 – Space Team is all set to battle the Phoenix Force. This should be a great battle inspite of Walt Simonson’s horribly uneven artwork. Oh wait the battle is over already. Phoenix won. Okay, but where’s the battle? What happened in the actual fight??

Secret Avengers #26-28 – You already know how the Space Team vs Phoenix battle ends, but please spend an extra $10 reading how the battle goes down anyway over the next three issues. :uhm:

Plus, if that’s not enough to make a body perplexed—She Hulk is somehow fighting Namor & friends in Tabula Rasa (Uncanny X-Men #12) while simultaneously getting the crap beat out of her by Rogue (X-Men Legacy #266).

And Rachel Grey & Iceman leave the Jean Grey School w/ Angel (Wolverine & the X-men #10) in the courtyard in front of the students, but a completely contradictory exit is played out (this time sans Angel) in X-Men Legacy #266. . .

…WTF?!??! As Seth Meyers would say, “Really!!!” And that’s pointed directly at Marvel’s editorial staff. Get your shit straight. What’s the point of getting all these characters together to tell a grand, sweeping epic tale if no clear reading order/timeline is established, plot points are ruined/spoiled in advance, and character motivations & story elements themselves vary from one title to the next?

Wuz dat you say, Marvel Editorial? Increased revenue? Ah, that makes sense then. I guess.

I will say the Phoenix as a previous Iron Fist story going on over in New Avengers is pretty great though.

Times like these a brother is glad he torrents his comix.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin